Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Ebay Intakes vs Branded
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

G'day folks
Long time lurker, first time poster :)

So i've got my self a BF (2006) XR8 and looking to do some upgrades

I'm getting a XForce Stainless 2.5" Quad tip catback system fitted this week (Already cut the extra hole on the passengers side in the bar :))

Now im looking at intakes.
Heres the thing i'm not 100% convinced those SS growlers are any good (can get one off ebay for $485 pp) and im not sure the Bigmouth kit would make much difference/stand up to a tune (with the standard XR8 airbox) - Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :P

I was looking at those Blue power racing intakes but $650 is a little rich for me (I saw on Yella Terras webby that you can buy their CAI from repco? I've got a trade account with repco so i could give them a call and see what their price is (unless someone knows what their trade price on those box's are from repco)

Anyway im looking at alternatives and saw this on ebay. (and this one - I like the look of this one, and i reakon it wouldn't be hard to modify the standard snorkel into the box too and make your own version of SS's "special air deflectors")

I'm wondering if any has tried these out? Fair cheap, straight pod filter (not sure of the size might email the seller) with a metal box, this should really be the same as any other box of the same style?

Be good to hear a little feedback if anyones tried one of these? Do they fit the hole good? Look any good? (I can always paint it :P), better than a SS box or worse?

And finally, im not 100% clear on the rules when it comes to these things, are they legal, are they not legal? are they on the line of whats legal? I was thinking of getting the car tuned eventually (been told 270kw at the wheels is usually a good figure with just exhaust (with extractors) and box), do you need to get engineered?

Also my insurance is with NRMA (because they cover everything automatically, like the leather seats and tow bar and crap), i havn't checked but is it safe to assume the insurance will cover things like the exhaust and intake and such? Or is it null once it moves into that illegal range where its ment to be engineered?

Anyone can throw some info my way that'd be awesome
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Ebay Intakes vs Branded
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Jus an addition, emailed the seller of the second intake i listed, hes going to email a few pics but linked me to their "polished alloy" version which has quite a few pics and actually looks like it fits pretty damn well.

Whats everyones thoughts? (i saw the thread here regarding legalities of modding, from what i can tell, these small changes will all be legal including my 19" rims that came on the car (bought second hand) which i always thought were a little iffy on being legal :P - not sure re: insurance though

cheers peeps

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2004 XR8 Ute - Black

WA, Australia

for around $100 you can get a larger xr6 turbo snorkel and adapter for it to be added onto the airbox. i have the pod filter box and have fitted this and reckon its awsome. got a new k&n filter and a larger 4'' intake pipe which is also smooth so the air runs in with less disruption. Over here in WA, BPT are the guys to see and they recommend this style of CAI. all up cost me $370 and that was getting the CAPA intake pipe off ebay at a bit of a reduced price (might still be available)

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Don't bother with the XR6T upper snorkel, as the XR8's use the exact same. I would suggest a properly made Cold Air Intake, whether it be from Ebay, or from a trusted company such as CAPA etc.

Just don't do the old "I'll whack a pod on and she'll be mad", as you'll just lose power from it.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]