Fordmods Logo

Ed 5ltr won't run 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Ed 5ltr won't run
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:28 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ed xr8

VIC, Australia

Gday can anyone give some advice I got a 5ltr ed that fires but wont run Iv changed leads cap rotor plugs coil new fuel pump and filter I'm stumped Iv read every post I come across about 5ltr not running but they seem different to my cars issues just hoping someone can point me in the right detection with my problem any help would be appreciated thanks

Car just started surging backfiring and stalling when I was out for drive now won't run for more than a few seconds and sounds like it's only on 4 cylinders

Last edited by johny23 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ed 5ltr won't run
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:04 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Missing spark on two cyls only is very unusual. Have you tried swapping leads?

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the reply ok so when I first thought I had no spark in those cylinders was because when turning the engine over and it firing I checked for heat on the header pipes and 1 an 8 were cold I got my mrs reluctantly to come turn the starter while I checked for spark I didn't see any but I geuss I mustn't have earth the plug properly. Anyway after reading your reply I went and double checked for spark and I do have spark on those cylinders but the pipes were still cold I took the plugs out wire brushed them put them back and those cylinders are firing as the pipes get hot same as the rest now but the car still won't run

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

It's hard to explain everything in detail with what the car is doing but I'll try

I turn the ignition on smart lock light goes out like normal fuel pump primes. the fuel gauge needle comes up and goes back down to nothing(Iv just notice this mainly coz I don't get in it to turn the key) I run the starter the car fires straight up beautifully just like it use to but will then instantly just splutter to a stop over a few seconds with the tacho reading 0 pretty much just wiggling up and down a little then after it dies I hear the pump going then stop

(I know this might sound stupid as in yeah the starter is spinning the engine ) but if I hold the starter without letting go the car fires up ticks over even does the idle down thing all round just sounds as though it's running and nothing's wrong but again when I let the starter go it runs rough for 1 or up to around 15 seconds and then dies

Does this sound like anything obvious
Could this be the ignition switch ?

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

It sounds like your idle speed control motor is not bypassing enough air when you let the key go back to the run position. When you turn the key to the start position the ecu will put a full ground on the idle speed control motor to maximum air bypass, and when it starts you will hear the engine rev to around 1200rpm and then come back down.
Check the throttle position switch signal voltage and see if it is around one volt with the throttle closed, if it is just open the throttle a small amount and crank it over.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the reply and yep I'll try that tomorrow arvo Iv brought a multi meter and tested the throttle position sensor and it was within what it's spose to be. It has to be something simple that's wrong as its so close to running it's not funny

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:51 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Holding the throttle open a bit didn't change anything. I was moving the throttle Back and forth it revs up a bit not instantly with my foot though sorta delayed

What else could make it cough a splutter to a stop after I let the key go when starting it ?

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:44 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Can you record what happens? Can give everyone a better understanding of what is happening.

It does sound like it is not getting enough air or fuel if you have spark and choking. Have you cleaned the throttle body? Have you checked the injectors? Fuel pressure regulator okay?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the reply nah I havnt cleaned the throttle body and I'm not sure how to check the injectors or fuel pressure reg other than I stuck a test light and seen I have power at the 5th injector

The car just started playing up surging backfiring and stalling after I pulled up and went to leave an intersection up till then was sweet

And yeah I can do a video

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:57 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

I made a vid but says the files to large even at 6 seconds how do i post a video

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Check the timing maybe? Maybe the mechanical advance has shat itself... 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yeah maybe. I'm not sure how to check it though haha

But if the timing was no good wouldn't it not wanna fire at all coz at the moment it fires first flick of the key but just goes to s**t when I let the key back to the run position

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yeah maybe. I'm not sure how to check it though haha

But if the timing was no good wouldn't it not wanna fire at all coz at the moment it fires first flick of the key but just goes to s**t when I let the key back to the run position

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

If you had of supplied the information about the engine backfiring and spluttering from your second last post after you had been driving, I wouldn't have told you it might have been an idle speed control problem, I assumed you just hopped in the car and tried to start it.
Do a voltage drop test on your ignition system for low voltage, or a failed module.

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

If you had of supplied the information about the engine backfiring and spluttering from your second last post after you had been driving, I wouldn't have told you it might have been an idle speed control problem, I assumed you just hopped in the car and tried to start it.
Do a voltage drop test on your ignition system for low voltage, or a failed module.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next