Fordmods Logo

ED XR8 Tickford 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: ED XR8 Tickford
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED XR8

WA, Australia

I just bought this car the other day. As I am not from Australia, and have no knowledge about your cars, can anyone please tell me anything about the car ?
I don't think its an S, according to the alloys which are on it.
I have found a few faults on it, rear indicator not working (not blown globe), cruise control not working, lense missing off driver side sidelight, BAD tick over when cold (up and down, stalls, etc). To me the suspension feels floaty, but then I am used to an ST170/ ST220 and they don't have floaty suspension.
I want to get the car up to a decent standard, what would I need to do, and where can I take it for a cheap expert to look at it (I live in Perth).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

If its an ED XR8 it will have the xr8 alloys or they may have been replaced. Hydraulic lifters take their time to fill with fluid on cold starts, so it will rattle for the first few seconds, but not too long. The wiring for the rear indicator may have split, or the contacts in the globe holder may have rusted/coroded. As for the floatiness, either get it lowered, or live with it :D The side light you could either get off of ebay or new from ford, and i'm not sure about the cruise. Does the horn work?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Post subject: xr8
Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:05 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED XR8

WA, Australia

The horn works, I think its a wiring problem (probably earth, if Ford Aus is anything like Ford UK). I will try to get a lense from a breakers round here, but thanks for the Ebay idea. I checked out the bulb holder, and it appears ok, so I guess there is a broken wire somewhere.
The engine sounds good, no smoke, nothing coming out of the oil filler cap after a good run. The tick over problem stops once the car is upto temp.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Should stop after about 5 seconds? The cruise buttons actually use the horn circuit to tell the BEM what to do by varying the levels of resistance. So if the horn is working, then one would assume both the BEM and buttons are working. Check to make sure a vacuum line hasnt come off of the cruise controler (behind the coolant overflow bottle near the firewall i believe?) and that the cable is attatched at both ends!

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Fit some new shocks..If done over 100.000 they will be r/s either Koni and fit some firmer bush's in suspension..The centre of gravity is higher so there is going to be more body roll...Pluss the fact down under we drive upside down....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]