Fordmods Logo

EEC-V Info for 98 NL Fairlane V8 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: EEC-V Info for 98 NL Fairlane V8
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 161

Joined: 13th Jun 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

Guys,
I am having some dramas with a '98 Fairlane Ghia V8 (see "NL Fairlane V8 Trouble" Forum) and when deciding to run the EEC-V tests (KOEO, KOER etc:) I found that the fuse panel plug is identical to my '95 EF Falcon GLi. I was expecting a "high series" plug as described in the technical doco's on this site for the NF Fairlane. I'm now a little confused about what pins are what and how to do the tests. I don't have access to a workshop manual in any form and was hoping someone might be able to help....thanks,
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

Diagnostic plugs are diagnostic plugs as far as i know. The difference would be within the BEM but we are not concerned with the BEM for diagnostics.

Go about testing the V8 the same was as your 95 GLI. But there is a stage where the throttle should be 'goosed' and EEC will then perform a cylinder balance test (SEFI V8s have this ability where the 6s do not).

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 6432

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

I remember I had one of those cylinder tests done and it said my number 7 cylinder was unbalanced. I have no idea what that means.

 

_________________

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Dang...
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 161

Joined: 13th Jun 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

No luck... I tried the test as I woud've with the EF and all I get is the smartlock light flashing a lot quicker and it won't start... So I must have the wrong pins...I think ford must have changed them from NF to NL...what a bugger....I'm keen to do the tests... any ideas ?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

Vic wrote:
I remember I had one of those cylinder tests done and it said my number 7 cylinder was unbalanced. I have no idea what that means.


Well interpretation of the test could be quite liberal i imagine. It pays to consider what the cylinder balance test entails. EEC will maintain a certain RPM - then, one by one, it will cut fuel to each cylinder and measure the resulting drop in RPM.

If the test returned cylinder 7, then it means the RPM fall when fuel was cut to cylinder 7 was out of "spec" i.e. compared to the RPM fall seen when fuel was cut to the other cylinders.

Windza, sorry mate cant be of help there... maybe one of the I6 NL guys can shed some light??

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1440

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

The pins should be the same from EBI or II (I think) through to the EL's as shown in the pic below. What pins are you shorting? You should shorth the 2 left hand Engine STI and Engine GRN pins together, and then hook the test lamp or multimeter up to the 5th from the left on the top row (Engine STO). You should start with a ignition on, engien off test as I find that gives the best indication.

 

 

Attachments:
diagport.JPG
diagport.JPG [ 19.04 KiB | Viewed 41 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 6432

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Vic wrote:
I remember I had one of those cylinder tests done and it said my number 7 cylinder was unbalanced. I have no idea what that means.


Well interpretation of the test could be quite liberal i imagine. It pays to consider what the cylinder balance test entails. EEC will maintain a certain RPM - then, one by one, it will cut fuel to each cylinder and measure the resulting drop in RPM.

If the test returned cylinder 7, then it means the RPM fall when fuel was cut to cylinder 7 was out of "spec" i.e. compared to the RPM fall seen when fuel was cut to the other cylinders.

So, is it a concern or not?

 

_________________

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

Vic wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Vic wrote:
I remember I had one of those cylinder tests done and it said my number 7 cylinder was unbalanced. I have no idea what that means.


Well interpretation of the test could be quite liberal i imagine. It pays to consider what the cylinder balance test entails. EEC will maintain a certain RPM - then, one by one, it will cut fuel to each cylinder and measure the resulting drop in RPM.

If the test returned cylinder 7, then it means the RPM fall when fuel was cut to cylinder 7 was out of "spec" i.e. compared to the RPM fall seen when fuel was cut to the other cylinders.

So, is it a concern or not?


I wouldnt pull an engine down based solely on a cyl bal test from EEC. Do you have any dramas with the engine??

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 6432

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Nope. Not that I can tell.
I'm just guessing that if as you say the RPM fell quicker compared to the other then would that indicate a slight lack of compression on number 7?

 

_________________

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1440

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Vic wrote:
Nope. Not that I can tell.
I'm just guessing that if as you say the RPM fell quicker compared to the other then would that indicate a slight lack of compression on number 7?


Yeah thats generally what it means but to be sure you should run the test a number of times and then probably do a compression test, but if the engine is running nicely then chances are its not too bad.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 6432

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Yeh I have never detected a real problem with my engine since I have owned it. The engine runs smooth and clean and has never made a wrong noise. Its a bright highlight of a 35 year old designed engine!

 

_________________

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 161

Joined: 13th Jun 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

Thanks for the post EDXR8... I tried it again and it worked this time...may have had a crook connection the first time...
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:03 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names