Fordmods Logo

EF Falcon V8 powersteering 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Falcon V8 powersteering
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Falcon 5lt

WA, Australia

My EF Falcon V8 has started leaking power steering fluid quite badly, do the V8's have a switch ? if not how hard are the seals to replace ? i can't even see how to get it out with all the other stuff so close ???

Post subject: Re: EF Falcon V8 powersteering
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

policepackfalcon wrote:
My EF Falcon V8 has started leaking power steering fluid quite badly, do the V8's have a switch ? if not how hard are the seals to replace ? i can't even see how to get it out with all the other stuff so close ???

need a snub nose puller to remove the pulley,the 3 bolts holding the pump on are behind it,seal kits are available.what do mean by switch?the high pressue fitting coming out of the pump can leak.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

apparently the 6cyl has a rev regulator switch on the rack but not sure about the 8cyl ? and they are prone to leaking badly quickly which is what mine has done . If no switch then it definetly needs to have seals of HP hose replaced which is a bummer as the switch is an easier fix .

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

policepackfalcon wrote:
apparently the 6cyl has a rev regulator switch on the rack but not sure about the 8cyl ? and they are prone to leaking badly quickly which is what mine has done . If no switch then it definetly needs to have seals of HP hose replaced which is a bummer as the switch is an easier fix .

the switch is speed sensitive steering on the 6s,my xr8 doesnt have it,the ltd also doesnt.but the racks can be fitted.check the rack end boots for fluid,blown seals and hoses.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

will do thanks , think i need to get the pump out so i can see just where its coming from as there is so much other stuff around it i can't see jack ! looks like fun (not) ! oh well, more skinned knuckles me thinks ;-)

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

policepackfalcon wrote:
will do thanks , think i need to get the pump out so i can see just where its coming from as there is so much other stuff around it i can't see jack ! looks like fun (not) ! oh well, more skinned knuckles me thinks ;-)

degrease it all,as it spreads every where.go for a drive and use a white rag to find it.the pump and the lines.the rack boots come off easy-and should be bone dry.no gloves yet from last time?one other thing,i noticed the return line at the back of the pump can split or work loose.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

LOL no no gloves as yet , have been delegating ! your right about it going every where so i will need to degrease but its still really difficult to see behind the pump to see any fittings even with a torch ! everything is so darn close ! but can accertain it is low rather than high , it seems i may have got the long running problem solved tho ....possably fuel filter that i changed today ! but now goes like the devil since doing all that other stuff :-) even 2 mechanics and an auto sparky couldn't sort it out ! and now its only the pwr st pump stopping me .

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

policepackfalcon wrote:
LOL no no gloves as yet , have been delegating ! your right about it going every where so i will need to degrease but its still really difficult to see behind the pump to see any fittings even with a torch ! everything is so darn close ! but can accertain it is low rather than high , it seems i may have got the long running problem solved tho ....possably fuel filter that i changed today ! but now goes like the devil since doing all that other stuff :-) even 2 mechanics and an auto sparky couldn't sort it out ! and now its only the pwr st pump stopping me .

the plastic at the back has a o ring seal,it might leak,the 2 hose fittings-back and side.the side is high pressure and runs down under the front of the motor and back to the rack.mirror and torch,use a rag to clean it,see if you find it.so it was a money pit to repair,ouch.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Yep ! too scared to add up reciepts . but on the bright side , i know my car a whole lot better now and it should'nt need too much doing to it for a long while or at least it should be pretty straight forward stuff just gen maintanance. Will have a better look tomorrow after doing Fathers day stuff with Hubby and Son , You have a happy Fathers day and thanks , will let you know how i get on .

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

policepackfalcon wrote:
Yep ! too scared to add up reciepts . but on the bright side , i know my car a whole lot better now and it should'nt need too much doing to it for a long while or at least it should be pretty straight forward stuff just gen maintanance. Will have a better look tomorrow after doing Fathers day stuff with Hubby and Son , You have a happy Fathers day and thanks , will let you know how i get on .

enjoy the day

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]