Fordmods Logo

EGR valves and AU / Explorer manifolds? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: EGR valves and AU / Explorer manifolds?
Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xr fairmont

NSW, Australia

I in the finishing stages of rebuilding my eb 5.0l and bought an AU inlet manifold since Iv also put on a pair og gt40p's. I have realised that the EGR valve isnt hooked up the same way as the EB though, if there is an EGR valve at all. I think Ive seen pics of an explorer engine bay and it looks like the EGR valve on those is hooked up to a pipe running from the exhaust manifold. Are the AUs connected like this aswell?
I know alot of people just get rid of the EGR valve altogether when they swap manifolds but I kindof think that if the computer was programmed with the EGR in mind then maybe its best to leave it on there.
Has anyone here who has upgraded to an AU manifold actually kept the EGR valve, and how did you hook it up?
From reading up Ive also found that there are alot of different opinions on these things, from if its actually needed, to what the purpose of an EGR valve actually is. Which leads me to my next query. What does it actually do? A popular opinion seems to be that it redirects unburt gasses back through the engine for better economy. I doubt that is the case because only a very small percentage of the engines total exhaust fumes are ever going to be able to recirculate through it so how much unburnt fuel could it actually save?
Anyway if youve upgraded to an AU manifold or have any info on EGR valves on these engines in generall please share your experience.

Post subject: Re: EGR valves and AU / Explorer manifolds?
Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:43 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Basically, EGR is used for reduction of NOX gases primarily, and a spinoff is that unburnt fuel is also reintroduced into the chamber so the EEC can then reduce fuel pulsewidth thereby reducing fuel consumption.
Explorer intakes, as used on the AU do not use EGR.
EGR was tapped externally(from the exhaust manifolds) on actual V8 explorers in the U.S. This is the only way you could enable EGR with this intake and therefore too much trouble.

Post subject: Re: EGR valves and AU / Explorer manifolds?
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Just drill and tap two holes for bolts in the AU EGR spacer and mount the EGR there, it doesn't actually function, but keeps everything normal etc and it doesn't actually spew those horrible gasses back into your engine. If that makes sense??

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]