Fordmods Logo

EL GT Engine Mods??? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: EL GT Engine Mods???
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hey, been doing a lil looking round on a few sites and want to know what sort of power is capable out of the EL GT windsor. I know they arent the best engines to modify or if you want serious hp you need to spend some serious coin.
Wot sort of power can you expect keeping the engine stock internally. How much can the stock heads flow, or is it just better to replace the heads. What sort of mods can be done to the motorr thats not really going to break the bank. Supercharger wud be nice but im sure there are chea[er options.

Any insight would be awesome :)

Post subject: Re: EL GT Engine Mods???
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

if you have a EL GT then youve pretty much got a great motor with some better then average parts to begin with without looking at aftermarket parts

id recommend
a full exhaust system
ss big mouth intake or simliar
a tune

other then that you'd be looking at a supercharger or cam and head work etc

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef xr6

VIC, Australia

The biggest supercharger u can find lol
just start with thr basics more air more fuel more power

EF XR6
K&N PANEL FILTER ulah, CAM, J3 CHIP, 128.3 RWKW, F6 TYPHOON RIMS, FULL TAN AND BLACK INTERIOR, CUSTOM BOOT INSTALL IN PROGRESS..
:)

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:49 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

A good set of alloy heads, better extractors and exhaust and cam. And a custom tune.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:00 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

Delete

Last edited by NLGHIA5.0 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Cheers Guys,
No unfortunetly i dont own an EL GT :( , But im planning on buying something in the near future so just doing some homework b4 i folk out some coin. So the mods are pretty basic then, head, intake, cam, exhaust and tune or ecu. Then the next step after that would be the s/c.
I wud have thought that just bolting on a s/c wud still be restrictive as, if the head can only flow 'x' power thats all the u wud get from the charger. Wouldnt u need to up the head wen bolting on a charger.
Does anyone know wot sort of figures can be made by bolting on ally heads, intake, cam exhaust and ecu. Roughly of course :D .
oh and cheers for all the advice guys

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:20 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

If i had an EL GT id leave it stock. Once you start modding a rare car like that it takes away its originality and value.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I know what you mean, i just want to hav something thats not seen much, every1 has ba/bf gt with mods and s/c every1 has xr8 with mods and s/c. Dont see EL GT's round the traps or even many TE or TS50's either.
Besides if you keep the original parts can always put it back to stock 8-)

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1993 Ford Fairlane

VIC, Australia

93EB wrote:
If i had an EL GT id leave it stock. Once you start modding a rare car like that it takes away its originality and value.

^ this
If i had an EL GT the most i'd do would be an exhaust system to make it sound awesome, then leave it alone.
Why butcher a rare car like that instead of just getting a v8 EL, modifying that and throwing a bodykit at it?
Then it'd look the same, without the guilt of butchering the GT

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Basically, i wud be doing wot ford shud have done with the EL GT, having such a amazing looking car and having it only push 220kw, such a waste. Would be an awesome machine to have 250kw at the wheels.
Dont get me wrong i totally understand where u guys r coming from, and im still not sure wot im going to do yet, was just an idea as i love the EL GT's. Might just buy a BF GTP and work the motor. Havent decided. But if i can get my hands on a EL GT it wud be my 1st choice.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

what you need to realise is if you want to supercharge it or run it n/a and what your power figure really is going to be, if you supercharge it there are heaps of different heads you can run, and it depends on how much power you want and is the car going to be driven daily on the street etc..
also with cam choice depends on what heads and rocker gear etc your running, if the cars going to be n/a thats also different heads again,also are you going to stroke it, or buy a dart stroked block? how far do you want to go, depends again on which heads you run for your desired power outcome

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

It seems like the engine is quiet restrictive on the EL 5ltr.
Would it be easier and cheaper to mod a newer car, like a BA/BF. Seems alot need to be changed on the E series to get some nice fiigures.
If i went with the E series it wud be a weekend driver on the street, so which ever option (na or forced) give the more bang for buck with the least hassle that wud be my option, as i said it wud be a weekend driver and second car so the coin factor is a major part of it.
Maybe a classic car wud be another option, but prices r similar to buying newer and come with body rust issues.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

dylby1 wrote:
93EB wrote:

^ this
If i had an EL GT the most i'd do would be an exhaust system to make it sound awesome, then leave it alone.
Why butcher a rare car like that instead of just getting a v8 EL, modifying that and throwing a bodykit at it?
Then it'd look the same, without the guilt of butchering the GT

+1 and keep the original exhaust system to put back on later.

buy a xr6T if you want speed.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

^^^ I agree with the statements above. Leave the engine as it is.

Do the exhasut (keep the factory headers in a safe place). They have the GT40 heads, GT40 Intake, bigger MAF and TB from factory. Get it tuned with a tweecer or quaterhorse and you'l have your 250kws plus some more.....easily (at the motor, not the wheels) :P

It's a GT, and you'd wanna keep it factory or you'll devalue it.

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Sounds like alot of ppl wud be upset if i boosted an EL GT, maybe i will look into something else thats a bit less rare if im going for big hp haha, Thanks for all the advice guys 8-)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next