Fordmods Logo

EL TPS. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: EL TPS.
Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Could anyone tell me the readings I should be getting from an EL XR8 TPS? Scan tool say TPS out of range so I'm assuming they are similar to a potentiometer. I could test one and compare it to the other but I don't know which one is faulty. I did take them off to oval out the holes to fit to an AU throttle body, is it possible I installed it wrong?

Post subject: Re: EL TPS.
Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

How to do it
The TPS basically bolts to the throttle body with two screws. The holes that the screws go through on the TPS are elongated so you can twist the TPS in either direction to adjust it. To adjust the TPS all you have to do is loosen (don't take them out) both screws and move the TPS until you see the right voltage.

To hook the multimeter up you will have to pierce the green wire with a pin so you can check how much voltage is going through it. The red or positive (+) wire on your multimeter will go to the pin in the green wire. Then you'll have to either pierce the black wire and put the negative wire from the multimeter to it, or just put the black multimeter wire to a good engine ground.
Now to check the voltage turn on your multimeter and make sure all of the wires are hooked up right. Then turn the ignition key to the on position, but don't start the car. You should be getting a reading on your multimeter. It should be .98-.99 volts. If its not, then its time to loosen the screws on the TPS and move it around until you get it right. When its at the right voltage tighten the screws and re-check it.
If for some reason you cannot get the voltage reading right you have two options. Either buy a new TPS or take off the old one and elongate the holes a little more with a file or a dremel.

Post subject: Re: EL TPS.
Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Cheers. For some reason not getting noties.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]