Fordmods Logo

EL V8 mod advice 

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: EL V8 mod advice
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 98 EL Fairmont 5lt

WA, Australia

its been 8 months since I first started this post. And I thought I would just add what has happened, for anyone that is interested.

The upgrades have been done for a couple months now and I am completely satisfied with it.

I ended up going for the Trickflow Street Burner top-end rebuild kit from Summit racing. In addition, I purchased other minor upgrades from summit to refresh/improve the engine (eg water pump, oil pump, gaskets, AFR sensor & gauge, throttle body, ignition system, coil etc). Total spent with summit USD$3554 plus about USD$600 for postage, and AUD$400 for import duties.

Parts purchased from Australia included new injectors, maf housing, underdrive pulley kit, harmonic balancer and quaterhorse unit. Including consumables total cost was about AUD$2K.

XH5LWEPN, Scaffy and Matt from Streetbuilt Racing did a fantastic job on the install, tuning and servicing. I left my car off with them while I went on 3 weeks holidays. Came back and it was already to go!

The results speak for themselves. The mainline dyno report reads: 278HP.

Overall I blew my budget by $1500 on parts alone. But it was well worth it.

I have to give full credit to the guys from Streetbuilt Racing. The advice was relevant, install work was quality and their service was professional.

Next mods to be done:
- higher ratio dif
- manual conversion

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU2 XR8

WA, Australia

bigcol81 wrote:
trickflow or afr heads are going to put me over budget.
i would rather avoid buying a used intake that might be screwed when it arrives via the mail and doesnt fit.
for the sake of ease, I would prefer to buy the heads and intake from summit in one hit.

correct me if i am wrong, but the GT40 heads (found here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6049-X306/) are brand new aluminimum heads. they are NOT: stock GT40 cast iron heads that are fitted to the AU V8's.

also, I dont want to take my car off the road for anylonger than a couple of days. pulling the intake off to get it ported is not an option for me.

regarding what I am chasing, i am looking for something to give me more power all round, but propbably mostly at the lower end. take off speed for the 302 windor is sad, and I would like to improve this first and foremost.

I have tried speaking with BPT, but werent interested when I called and no response to my email. All the other well known performance shops deal mostly with commowhores. Do you know any other performance guys in perth area that know a decent amount about fords?

My advice - don't go to BPT!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

TKFD wrote:
bigcol81 wrote:
trickflow or afr heads are going to put me over budget.
i would rather avoid buying a used intake that might be screwed when it arrives via the mail and doesnt fit.
for the sake of ease, I would prefer to buy the heads and intake from summit in one hit.

correct me if i am wrong, but the GT40 heads (found here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6049-X306/) are brand new aluminimum heads. they are NOT: stock GT40 cast iron heads that are fitted to the AU V8's.

also, I dont want to take my car off the road for anylonger than a couple of days. pulling the intake off to get it ported is not an option for me.

regarding what I am chasing, i am looking for something to give me more power all round, but propbably mostly at the lower end. take off speed for the 302 windor is sad, and I would like to improve this first and foremost.

I have tried speaking with BPT, but werent interested when I called and no response to my email. All the other well known performance shops deal mostly with commowhores. Do you know any other performance guys in perth area that know a decent amount about fords?

My advice - don't go to BPT!

bit of a mine.
as in last post its alredy been tuned.
and BPT was good for me.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2