Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: EL V8 Radiator questions, and I have an idea
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hey, I've got a few questions regarding the radiators in EL V8's:

1) Are the radiators exactly the same between 6 cyl and V8? Did any models get a bigger one like maybe as a part of a heavy duty tow package or something?

2) My cooling system seems to be full of horrible brown stuff. I have tried flushing the garden hose through the radiator backwards and forwards, and I have pulled the thermostat out and flushed through the block, the majority of the dirt seems to be coming out of the header tank. I am assuming a new header tank will fix that problem?

3) What coolant should I be running? - Probably been asked a million times before but I have only run water for ages because I have only just now fixed all my water leaks

4) Can someone please explain to me what makes copper radiators superior to aluminum ones?

5) Now comes my idea: Being as these are a Windsor engine, Why cant I fit a radiator that is compatible with an early Windsor? I have been looking at XD/XE/XF Radiators. The hoses are on the correct side if I use XD/XE/XF hoses. These radiators seem a big bigger, and I'll be able to get rid of the header tank. The only possible issue that I see is that the header tank (so effectively the radiator) is no longer the highest point of the cooling system.

Gab

Post subject: Re: EL V8 Radiator questions, and I have an idea
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Gab1 wrote:

1) Are the radiators exactly the same between 6 cyl and V8? Did any models get a bigger one like maybe as a part of a heavy duty tow package or something?

2) My cooling system seems to be full of horrible brown stuff. I have tried flushing the garden hose through the radiator backwards and forwards, and I have pulled the thermostat out and flushed through the block, the majority of the dirt seems to be coming out of the header tank. I am assuming a new header tank will fix that problem?

3) What coolant should I be running? - Probably been asked a million times before but I have only run water for ages because I have only just now fixed all my water leaks

4) Can someone please explain to me what makes copper radiators superior to aluminum ones?

5) Now comes my idea: Being as these are a Windsor engine, Why cant I fit a radiator that is compatible with an early Windsor? I have been looking at XD/XE/XF Radiators. The hoses are on the correct side if I use XD/XE/XF hoses. These radiators seem a big bigger, and I'll be able to get rid of the header tank. The only possible issue that I see is that the header tank (so effectively the radiator) is no longer the highest point of the cooling system.

Gab

first problem is the header tank is the highest point so that there will be no air in the systemif you remove the header tank and the heads are only half full of water you will create steam inside the heads and the obvious the engine will run hotter,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

NSW, Australia

Gab1 wrote:

The radiators are the same, you can order a 3 core aftermarket one though.

Removing and cleaning the tank could be an easier option. I used baking soda, viniger and water to clean mine and have heard CLR works well but its costly . If you do replace the tank dont use a ebay cheapy as they tend to split.

Gab

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:29 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

[quote="Gab1"]Hey, I've got a few questions regarding the radiators in EL V8's:

the radiators are the same between 6 cyl and v8. no special ones were optioned but you can get a thicker core in aftermarket radiators

you can clean the header tanks but it can be a pain in the a**, if you buy a new one buy a genuine one as the aftermarket ones are s**t

I would run a concentrate, not cheapo pre mixed.. I use the nulon long life coolant in mine.

most off the shelf alloy radiators are cheap and nasty, normally lucky to last more than 12 months, while a quality alloy one can have better cooling ability the copper ones are fine for a std to mild engine and last a lot longer than the alloy ones.

the earlier ones are not really any better, they look thicker but have a smaller surface area, so all the extra work involved to modify one to fit isn't worth it on a radiator that is no better than the one made for the car..

im guessing your having cooling issues??
1st thing is what thermostat are you running? if std try a cooler 87deg or lower.
how is the water pump??
also being el, they have the stupid radiator support that only allows air from bumper to flow through radiator, dous yours still have the plastic defuser tray on the bottom of the bar??
if not try get one as this stops airflow being pushed under the radiator and forces it through the radiator.. a lot of people remove them not realising why they are there..

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
Gab1 wrote:

the radiators are the same between 6 cyl and v8. no special ones were optioned but you can get a thicker core in aftermarket radiators

Alright, cool, what brands are good to get of radiators?

you can clean the header tanks but it can be a pain in the a**, if you buy a new one buy a genuine one as the aftermarket ones are s**t

Alright cool, I'll try to source a genuine one, I might just look for a really clean 2nd hand wreckers one

I would run a concentrate, not cheapo pre mixed.. I use the nulon long life coolant in mine.

I wouldn't use pre mix in any engine, concentrate for sure, just wasn't too sure on the brand to use

most off the shelf alloy radiators are cheap and nasty, normally lucky to last more than 12 months, while a quality alloy one can have better cooling ability the copper ones are fine for a std to mild engine and last a lot longer than the alloy ones.

Yeah that's what I thought, I'll stick to a copper one

the earlier ones are not really any better, they look thicker but have a smaller surface area, so all the extra work involved to modify one to fit isn't worth it on a radiator that is no better than the one made for the car..

Ahh alright good to know

im guessing your having cooling issues??
1st thing is what thermostat are you running? if std try a cooler 87deg or lower.
how is the water pump??
also being el, they have the stupid radiator support that only allows air from bumper to flow through radiator, dous yours still have the plastic defuser tray on the bottom of the bar??
if not try get one as this stops airflow being pushed under the radiator and forces it through the radiator.. a lot of people remove them not realising why they are there..

Not really having any cooling issues, water pump is brand new, thermostat is brand new, all the hoses apart from the bottom rad hose are brand new, and been told the radiator was reco'd (I bought it from a swap meet) I might get the radiator flushed out by a radiator joint though because it was sitting for 12 months with nothing in it. I was just a bit annoyed at the amount of brown s**t in my cooling system, and I know that it's coming up to summer so I wanted to make sure everything's right. I'll definitely grab one of those diffuser trays though, might be a good idea I reckon, makes sense

Gab

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ed falcon raptor

WA, Australia

I don't know but could the brown s**t just be rust from running just water?

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:45 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

I think the V8 radiators actually have more cooling fins per square inch than 6 cylinder ones, but are dimensionally the same.

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 98 V8 DL LTD

NSW, Australia

I run the concentrated nulon but i mix it with demineralised water which u can buy it at coles in 2 litre bottles for $1.20 , higher boiling point

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Plus if you're running an alloy radiator in unison with a copper A/C condenser (and vice versa)the close proximity will cause dissimilar metal corrosion - the alloy sacrifices itself for the copper.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Ef wagon

VIC, Australia

Don't hold me to this but I thing the copper cools faster and last longer and they don't rust out
The alloy ones At 52mm fat is 166$ off eBay that's cheep I think cheeper then a stock one but they last half as long and they rust and on a hot day they stay hot

I think it ends up being the same but a bit better with a 52mm alloy one with the cooling next to a stock one

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Alloy is cheaper and lighter. Copper is better for a long term car project. They can easily be repaired with solder in the field, Alloy not so. The other problem is the Alloy is more brittle, and have plastic tanks which can fail. They have an "O " ring seal on the tanks, and require a special " Jig " to take apart. There are some nice all Alloy radiators around, but they are welded and cant be serviced like a Copper one can. My opinion anyway. I am pleased that Dissimilar Metal corrosion has been mentioned, as many people do not about it or do the wrong things thinking they are doing the right things.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

I think Alloy absorbs heat faster but holds it longer than copper dose.

Also alloy is cheaper than copper.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]