Fordmods Logo

el xr8 engine into a eb 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: el xr8 engine into a eb
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: eb ford falcon ghia

NSW, Australia

ye i pritty much get the mods needed for a au engine to go in from what you wrote earlyer.. I thort the el i6 tickford engines were the same as my eb just with bigger valves, cam redone, and fuel reg also the ecu tuned different. As for the diff, and the engine. I dont realy care if my car hits 200kph+ but want it to get from 0-100 fast as. my car seems abit slow till it hits about 50kph. The bottom end is going on my engine aswell as the gearbox :( Im just trying to figure out what my best option is for the money i spend.. Because if im going to do all that for the au to go in I may awell go all out and put a ba xr6 in it.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
ye i pritty much get the mods needed for a au engine to go in from what you wrote earlyer.. I thort the el i6 tickford engines were the same as my eb just with bigger valves, cam redone, and fuel reg also the ecu tuned different. As for the diff, and the engine. I dont realy care if my car hits 200kph+ but want it to get from 0-100 fast as. my car seems abit slow till it hits about 50kph. The bottom end is going on my engine aswell as the gearbox :( Im just trying to figure out what my best option is for the money i spend.. Because if im going to do all that for the au to go in I may awell go all out and put a ba xr6 in it.

All the 4.0L SOHC (EB to EL) are basicly the same apart from the coil pack ingition on the EF. You are correct with the XR engines, differences with the basic 4.0L are Head, Cam, Fuel reg, ECU, also had lower suspension, larger exhaust and 3.45:1 diff ratio as well as the LSD.

Reason yours feels slow to 50kmph is due to the 4 speed BTR. The Ford BTR has the longest 1st gear in history :( , after 40-50kmph (2nd gear) they really pick up. Improving the diff ratio will improve that 3.7 or 3.9:1 ratio.

There is a lot less work involved fitting the AU SOHC than installing the Barra DOHC. Honestly the work involved with the AU Mod (apart from the sump mod) is stuff all and can be done in a few hours. It will take longer to do the other things you should do before fitting a second hand engine, Welch plugs, front & rear main seals etc.

It will all come down to the money and time that you want to spend.

Sit down and look at what you want to do, what you want the car for after your finished. No offence but you are talking about a car that has a monetry value of probably less than $1k. Do your research and set a plan in place and stick with it.

I know it is not about the value of the car but what it is worth to you. I have spent probably more than 5 times what my car is worth but it is staying with me for a long time yet and it still puts a smile on my face when I drive it. We also have a 2011 SYII Territory with all the bells and whistles an I must say that while it is a nice car (BUS :lol: ) to drive, I much prefer mine over it.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
he's not using the EF/EL ..... going with the EB :roll:

Same bloody modifications required. :x.

Not rewritting the whole f...ing procedure. If you can't work it out from what is written then you shouldn't be touching it. F..k me. :twisted:

This has gone from DOHC to SOHC to Wiidsor 5.0 V8 back to SOHC.

ahh ... now THAT is grumpy :lol: .. we will leave that 'F**k' alone & no need ta rewrite it mate . . . it's still on the 1st page :mrgreen:

SWC wrote:
jumpingjak wrote:

All the 4.0L SOHC (EB to EL) are basicly the same apart from the coil pack ingition on the EF. You are correct with the XR engines, differences with the basic 4.0L are Head, Cam, Fuel reg, ECU, also had lower suspension, larger exhaust and 3.45:1 diff ratio as well as the LSD.

Reason yours feels slow to 50kmph is due to the 4 speed BTR. The Ford BTR has the longest 1st gear in history :( , after 40-50kmph (2nd gear) they really pick up. Improving the diff ratio will improve that 3.7 or 3.9:1 ratio.

There is a lot less work involved fitting the AU SOHC than installing the Barra DOHC. Honestly the work involved with the AU Mod (apart from the sump mod) is stuff all and can be done in a few hours. It will take longer to do the other things you should do before fitting a second hand engine, Welch plugs, front & rear main seals etc.

It will all come down to the money and time that you want to spend.

Sit down and look at what you want to do, what you want the car for after your finished. No offence but you are talking about a car that has a monetry value of probably less than $1k. Do your research and set a plan in place and stick with it.

I know it is not about the value of the car but what it is worth to you. I have spent probably more than 5 times what my car is worth but it is staying with me for a long time yet and it still puts a smile on my face when I drive it. We also have a 2011 SYII Territory with all the bells and whistles an I must say that while it is a nice car (BUS :lol: ) to drive, I much prefer mine over it.

now 'just' to rain on ya parade mate ....... you will still 'possibly' doing this with the AU. however for the last part of SWC's reply i agree ... "jumpingjak" must workout what they are gunna be doing with the car ie 'performance' OR 'run around/daily driver' AND how much $$$ they wanna spend [as you said grumpy] ... i think should go AU motor & an auto with maybe a 3.45 ratio diff [only coz i fitted one & love it lol ] ... no major changes & not alot of time & money spent :mrgreen:

ohhh in case i didn't mention it ............................................. i'm loving the 3.45 in me AU wagooon .. changed from a sloww 3.23 diff. 1st & 2nd now rev out veryy well thank you very much :lol:

i will shut up for ......... now :lol: :roll:

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
SWC wrote:

now 'just' to rain on ya parade mate ....... you will still 'possibly' doing this with the AU. [/quote]

Mad2 what you highlighted applies to all second hand engines and it is not a "possibly" it should be a "must do".

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

SWC wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
SWC wrote:

now 'just' to rain on ya parade mate ....... you will still 'possibly' doing this with the AU.

Mad2 what you highlighted applies to all second hand engines and it is not a "possibly" it should be a "must do".[/quote]

and don't faget the rear main seal.......... :roll:

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xc gs 351, au xr6 vct ute

TAS, Australia

I can say if you have open options to go to a vct engine if you are chasing power. I'm on my 5th single cam 6 powered car and my au xr6 Ute vct manual is the best yet (all modified in some way shape or form) I have done a cat delete pipe, extractors and exhaust, rail and injectors and a flash tune and it's made a smidge over 140kw at the wheels (significantly more than my others) a pintara 3:7 gear set is a perfect upgrade for the auto that will kill your off the line sluggishness. Keep us updated with what you do

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i do have open options, well upto about $1500 to spend on getting sumthing done about the engine and gearbox. For the most part, to convert the au will still cost close to $1000 for engine, gearbox, loom and other little things here n there. I can get a hole ba xr6 from the wreckers for $1500 and they will drop it off at my house. the kframe is easy to mod and the loom should not be to hard to figure out, as i am ok with wiring stuff up and soldering, diagrams are easy to read also taking the engine mounts out and drilling hole 10mm under the holes already there, bobs ya uncle so to speak haha.I just need to study up abit more on this before i deside what im going to do. I would realy like to save up and get 1of them hp tuners so i can do my own pmc programing but $700+ later

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Just got an email this morning from the wreckers. they have a ford fairlane au year 99-03 with a v8. still has the wiring loom ecu. do you guys know if the k frame from that will fit on my eb.. Still they want $1500 for that aswell. hmmm v8 or barra i6 24valve beast

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:41 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

jumpingjak wrote:
Just got an email this morning from the wreckers. they have a ford fairlane au year 99-03 with a v8. still has the wiring loom ecu. do you guys know if the k frame from that will fit on my eb.. Still they want $1500 for that aswell. hmmm v8 or barra i6 24valve beast

AU K Frame can be made to fit the E series, it has been done before, but it is a faif bit of work. If you use the AU K Frame it does give you the opening for brake upgrades (AU-BF) and also the +36 offset of the later models. You would need to fit the AU diff as well or us hub adapters on the rear (Not good)

AU V8 use coilpacks so you will need the complete loom as well as the ECU and BCM, dash loom would be good as well. If you fit the late model V8, you "may" be required to meet emissions test as well, not 100% sure on that.

$1500 is a small budget for your ideas. Fitting the AU SOHC is the cheaper option and would cost $300-$400 plus engine/gearbox.

Thee $1500 for the AU V8, does that include the V8 Gearbox?

Again, think seriously of what you want, you still sound like you don't know where you want to go.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yes it has the geabox with it aswell.im realy thinking of just going with ba xr6 car for 1500 from the wreckers. it comes with the engine, gearbox wiring loom computer, every thing to do the conversion. Its only alittle bit more work and money for way better performance. iv also spent alot of time following and reading this other guys forum info who did this to his car. id also have to look into it but w read sumwere that you dont have to mod the k frame just grind off the ribs on the xr6 sump and it will fit. not sure about that1 yet tho. $1500 price was just for the car. I then eather have to buy my own tuner for $700+ or get sum1 to tune th pcm for me so ye got to add that on to the costs aswell.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2