Fordmods Logo

Elane wont start properly 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:09 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

replacing parts will nilly is not really a good way to fix a problem, sure plugs and leads are ok, but dont spend thousands of dollars trying to fix a problem thats only happened once or twice, check things like battery terminals (including all the smaller wires that run to the battery), fuel filter, fuel pressure (and also fuel leak off rate - that is how much pressure the car holds over maybe an hour or so after running), also check that it hasnt got a blown head gasket as a bit of water getting on the plugs can cause the problem... beyond that next time it does it check and see if theres power at the fuel pump itself as u crank the car...

the old focus' had issues whereby the fuel pressure would leak down to low and so after 10-15 sec of crankingwhile the pressure came good again the cars injectors would cycle slower in an "anti-flood" strategy and thus crank but no start for a bit, maybe falcons do the same thing im really not sure

Post subject: elane wont start
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

hi,check battery, if old you have a top charge which will start the car most times ok,then you can crank 2-3 times and will start-maybe? i had same problem in car park,had to jump start,seen a auto electrican,had battery tested-rated it 50/50 only 2-3 years old.replaced it-wow, it was like a tune up, was told fords are hard on battery,all the body-motor computers,etc. since xf on you need about 13-14 volts to start them. :roll: :roll:

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

teh car is only bhaving troubles starting when parked on a, say 30 degree or above hill.

changed the fuel filter, will be doing plugs and leads shortly, just been a bit strapped for cash lately with rego.

surely though it wouldnt be leads and plugs if it only happens on a hill. so i am thnking it may have to be fuel presure. not sure what else it could be. and if it is fuel pressure, that would mean fuel pump would be f**k, yes? and if fuel pump is f**k why doesnt it it do it while on a flat surface??

got me f**k, starting to really give me the s**t.

so if my logic is correct:

plugs and leads--- cant be
fuel pump-- cant be
fuel pressure-- cant be
fuel pump relay--- not sure on this one, dont know too much about it... please explain if u can.
battery-- possible, as self leveling suspension takes a bit, but still seems alright.
fuel filter-- done, not that

what else could it be?

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII Ghia 5Ltr

VIC, Australia

I've had probs getting my car started recently as well. The car cranks (slowly) and then catches... This problem seems to be more common when the car is still warm. For example driving for long enough for the car to heat up and then stop briefly before trying to start the car again...

Yesterday, however, I stopped at Macca's after about an hours driving and couldn't get it started. Turns out the battery (3 years old) is knackered. The charging system (alternator and leads) was tested and found to be ok, but the battery just won't take and hold charge properly... This might be your problem too.

Battery tests are relatively cheap to get done as well... I think some places even test them for free. Bob Jane's maybe? The most simple solution is usually the one.

Have YOU driven a monster truck lately??

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

i can leave the car for a hour or so after driving and it will be fine, it is jujst after say 2 hours on it does it, and only on a slope.

i will get battery checked but i dont think that is it.

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

castlegreyskull wrote:
i can leave the car for a hour or so after driving and it will be fine, it is jujst after say 2 hours on it does it, and only on a slope.

i will get battery checked but i dont think that is it.

have you checked the water/acid level in the battery? just a longshot, maybe the fluid is moving away from a couple of plates in the end?
if it makes you feel any better "my car is still giving me intermittent troubles and I share you're frustrations!"

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

yeah kenny, battery acid/water level is sweet.

oh yeah it is frustrating as hell.

log on to msn if ya can kenny, i'lll have a chat

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:35 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I had the same problem with my EB 5.0L Ghia. It turned out to be the fuel pump relay.

At ignition on it starts momentarily to prime the fuel rail. When the fault is occuring give it a tap and you'll hear it engage and disengage. It occurs more often when the engine bay is hot becasue the coil goes open cct. The cost is around $100 from Ford ( rip off)

The fuel pump relay is located under the coolant resovoir and it is the second relay from the right looking at them from the front of the car

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

well i think i got it finally beat. done a service cleaned everything spick and span, got injector clean, and at the moment she seems all good.

hopefully it has fixed it, touch wood.

i have a funny feeling it was the injectors, although it doesnt really explain why it only done it while the front end was higher than the rear for a few hours.

i dunno. im just glad it is fixed.

I asked a few mechanice about it and they all said they have never heard of it before, and was very strange.

just hopefully it will be fixed from now on.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2