Electrical problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Electrical problem
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Hi,

I have a 1994 Lexus Soarer 4.0L V8 that has a weird problem.

Firstly, no ricer comments please. I am asking here because I have always found good help on fordmods.com and my current Soarer forum is nowhere near the calibre of fordmods.com

Sometimes and randomly, when I brake the car appears like it short circuits. My digital dash flashes and digitbal air con display turns off. If Im slowing down like coming into traffic lights the car may stall (its an auto). Other times it may regain control and keep driving. Most of the time the car operates at 12.6-13.0V, other times it may be a whole 1.0V down on that.

I have done new battery terminals on a 460CCA battery. I have rechecked all the wiring that I understand. I have taken my new headunit out thinking that might be the problem but it kept going.

Any ideas.

PS: Apologies to the mods I didnt know the proper place to put this.

Post subject: Re: Electrical problem (MODS please move to proper spot)
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

twirqurky wrote:
Hi,

Firstly, no ricer comments please. I am asking here because I have always found good help on fordmods.com and my current Soarer forum is nowhere near the calibre of fordmods.com

Sometimes and randomly, when I brake the car appears like it short circuits. My digital dash flashes and digitbal air con display turns off. If Im slowing down like coming into traffic lights the car may stall (its an auto). Other times it may regain control and keep driving. Most of the time the car operates at 12.6-13.0V, other times it may be a whole 1.0V down on that.

I have done new battery terminals on a 460CCA battery. I have rechecked all the wiring that I understand. I have taken my new headunit out thinking that might be the problem but it kept going.

Any ideas.

Fault in brake switch or bad earth near the brake pedal... does the car have cruise control? Another possible thing to check.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

twirqurky wrote:
Hi,

Any ideas.

Thread moved to V8 workshop.

All good mate, we wont hold it against you because you dont drive a ford at the moment :wink:

Josh

Post subject: Re: Electrical problem
Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:05 am 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: Ford Ed

SA, Australia

Yea i would say you have a earth leak somewhere.. I had the same sorta thing with my ed!

Adelaide E Series

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:52 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Froudey wrote:
twirqurky wrote:
Hi,

Any ideas.

Fault in brake switch or bad earth near the brake pedal... does the car have cruise control? Another possible thing to check.

Yes it has cruise control...how would I check the brake switch or an earth near hte brake pedal?

Post subject: Re: Electrical problem
Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:03 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Au II Xr8 & Xr6

NSW, Australia

Grab a torch and have a look around. look for anything that's rubbing or any damage to the wiring harness. You might have to pull the connection off the switch and examine that. You'll end up with a sore back and probably a sore head from banging it on the steering wheel. Or grab a voltmeter and have someone measure the battery voltage as you apply the brake pedal, if voltage drops significantly. Good luck let us know how you go.
Cheers
Mr220kw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]