Exhaust options 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Exhaust options
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: FBT

VIC, Australia

Looking for a good replacement to fairlanes twin 2 1/4 system. Can you get twin 3" systems and are there any setbacks with em? Anyone know what they are worth. Should I just go with a twin 2 1/2 for a good note?

"12 yards long, two lanes wide, 65 tonnes of american pride" Fairlane

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Mick I think you know my opinion on this one.

A twin 3" system is just gonna make you lose power as there will be no back pressure in the exhaust, no to mention the look of two 3' pipes side by side, they'd be pretty f**k big. The only way you could get away with 3" is if it was only a single exhaust, but then the note is going to be a bit more of a drone than a ripping V8!!! :D

Go the twin 2 1/2" for added note plus you can get some nice twin tips for the ends of the pipes. You may need a resonator on the rear if it's a little loud, but we all like loud don't we!!!!

Tail pipes $250 - $300
Resonator $150
tips $60

these are pretty rough guesses but i reckon thats what you'd be looking at, around the $350 mark or $500 if resonator is needed.

I'm going to be doing mine to a twin 2 1/2" soon, just got to iron out a few bugs with relation to how the things running.

Cheers

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

I have a single 3" mandrel bent Lukey system on my EL and it gets positive comments all the time about the note. I'm very happy with it and there is no problem with droning in the cabin either. Very easy system to live with each day.

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

fairmont1998 wrote:
I have a single 3" mandrel bent Lukey system on my EL and it gets positive comments all the time about the note. I'm very happy with it and there is no problem with droning in the cabin either. Very easy system to live with each day.

Same here, the Lukey 3" system is a nice system. Going to twin 2 1/2" is way too much overkill unless you have an extremely modified engine, even a 3" will loose you a bit of low down power. Single system expect to pay around $400+, and twins should be double that.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

That exhaust system is fairly good as it is. All you really need to do is put some less restrictive mufflers in as well as a pair of headers. If you have the money, then have it all redone in 2 1/4. 3" single or twin 2 1/2 will lose you low down power unless of course you intend on blowing (or something) later on..

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Post subject: Re: Exhaust options
Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

nomad1089 wrote:
Looking for a good replacement to fairlanes twin 2 1/4 system. Can you get twin 3" systems and are there any setbacks with em? Anyone know what they are worth. Should I just go with a twin 2 1/2 for a good note?

Why do you want to change it?
worn out/broken/too quiet?

Twin 3" will be too big for the 5L windsor; even if its got a cpl of extras bits n pieces hehe.

I looked into this and decided the twin 2.5" sounded awesome, i dont like single pipe as much, but its not like they sound bad lol, still awesome - then i decided to leave it stock, GT headers n twin zorst isnt bad for stock considering the price n new gear will only give louder sound.

like quite like the throaty sound of the fbt stock; doubt ill change it untill i need to. :o

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

wat about twin 2.5'' from headers with hi flow cats to the single 2.5''? will this make much difference?

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XB 351 V8 & BA GT

NSW, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
fairmont1998 wrote:

Same here, the Lukey 3" system is a nice system. Going to twin 2 1/2" is way too much overkill unless you have an extremely modified engine, even a 3" will loose you a bit of low down power. Single system expect to pay around $400+, and twins should be double that.

I have a mandrel bent single 3inch system and I love it! (also have Genie extractors). My mechanic even said it was the best late model Ford V8 he has heard! Im very happy with it.

XB 351 and BA GT

FordMods No: 288

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

gunit18 wrote:
wat about twin 2.5'' from headers with hi flow cats to the single 2.5''? will this make much difference?

A nice solid choice mate.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Post subject: Re: Exhaust options
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

nomad1089 wrote:
next time im over your way or your over this way(unless your scared lol) have a listen to my eb its just 2 1/2 single with 2 hot dogs and sounds sweet (not loud)or spitters fairlane both got done in yarra at carline cost bugger all

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Got luke extractors, stock cats and single 2 1/2 in system, the numbers speak for themselves, and it does sound fairly sweet i must admit
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I recently put a twin 2.5'' with magnaflow cats in, but still have the single 2.5'' exhaust - money was an issue. Now, should i leave it as is, continue the twin 2.5'' to the back or get a single 3''? Also wondering if mufflers make that much of a difference in sound.

Cheers

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Unless you have a few other mods on the engine I would just leave the 2 1/2" system, they have been shown to give the best overall results on stock to mild engines. And yes muffler choice has a big impact on sound, I have found lukey glass packed stright through mufflers give a decent sound and don't cost a fortune, redbacks are also suppose to sound quite good. Magnaflows are awesome but cost a lot more too.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

What sort of cats do you think are good, EDXR8?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

the note also has something to do with placement of the muffler, either closer to the tip or closer to the cats

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next