Fordmods Logo

Exhaust 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Exhaust
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

ok. So i have just bought an EF XR8 and im WA and i want this thing to sound lumpy and loud. Has anyone had any experince about this and the best combination of parts to use. Do extractors make alot of difference in the zorst note.... twin system more lumpy? Lukey Glass pack muffler? These are some terms i have heard. Anyone had experince in finding the best combo for a 302W??
Cheers,
Luke

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

I would try Mettams Mufflers in Midland.
Get Pacemaker extractors and twin 2.5" system with high flow cat and centre muffler. Dont get a rear muffler/resonator. Dual tippage at the end.

Might be around the $1300 mark. Will sound grunty as hell.

Where abouts are you located and do you have any pics of your new mahcine?

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:54 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

When you see say twin 2.5", do you mean twins all the way?
If so, how does it go fitting over the diff?
Old system in the Sprint when I got it was a 'bitsa', and was fouling and leaking over the diff, so I had to turf it to get it roadworthied.
With only a little bit of cash remaining, I had to settle on a redback 2.5" system, single middle muffler.
But now the cashflows back I've been considering something with a bit more flow.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
But now the cashflows back I've been considering something with a bit more flow.

You probably won't see any performance increase going from the 2.5" to anything larger.

Twin 2.5" systems is a lot of overkill for the 5L but it will sound good if done right. Also look at a single 3" system, lukey make an off the shelf one that sounds very nice. Performance wise, a single 2.5" system or twin 2.25" system is normally the best for anything up to around 240kw IMO. And yes extractors make a decent difference in sound, the stock headers are shocking, bu tthe only real way to get a lumpy sound is with a cam upgrade. With an exhaust you will get a nice idle rumble but it won't be lumpy.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Stainless will provide a deeper note as well.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AUII XR8

NT, Australia

i got a set of H&M headers on my AU XR8 folllowing recommendation from mick webb, and have noticed great improvement. sound tough too. you do get that extractor tinny noise LOL.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:44 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Steady ED wrote:

You probably won't see any performance increase going from the 2.5" to anything larger.

Twin 2.5" systems is a lot of overkill for the 5L but it will sound good if done right. Also look at a single 3" system, lukey make an off the shelf one that sounds very nice. Performance wise, a single 2.5" system or twin 2.25" system is normally the best for anything up to around 240kw IMO. And yes extractors make a decent difference in sound, the stock headers are shocking, bu tthe only real way to get a lumpy sound is with a cam upgrade. With an exhaust you will get a nice idle rumble but it won't be lumpy.

Cheers EDXR8. I was thinking about single 3", but if 2.5" isn't a restriction, I won't spend money needlessly.
Yeah, stock Sprint cam ain't that serious, but it's got a nice little rumble to it.
The Genie's certainly help in that regard, and it really opens up at full noise.
I can recommend the Redback 2.5" system, single muffler, with Genie extractors.
Whenever my old man gives his XR6T some stick, and says his cars quicker, I counter with "yeah, but mine sounds better" :P

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ef XR8 / xe fairmont ghia 393.

SA, Australia

yeah i gotta ef xr8 as well and i got pacie comps running through a 2.5' pipe. down to a high flow supa cat...

great power gain and the best ef ive ever heard...

i too an getn a bit of cam work done to make her a bit more lumpy...

Ef xr8. Charged 9psi, tw 170 heads,track heat intakes,1.72 rockers, f303 cam, custom plazma man/ rapid cooler, 60lb injectors, tko600, sct eliminator, aeromotive fuel system.

393 xe ghia stage 5 als raceglides c4,9" full spool 31spline moser axles. Will be looking at running high 9s low 10's

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL II XR8

Power: 146 rwkw

SA, Australia

My EL 2 XR8 runs a catback custom 3" system into a supercat muffler, and a small hotdog muffler near the tip, under throttle its loud and v8 sounding for sure! I think despite Supercat not being top of the tree their mufflers sound ace! Thats with the stock Series 2 headers or " EL GT styled " extractors according to Ford.

EL II XR8 - project powerdyne.
www.modfordclub.proboards101.com
www.mumbo.com.au

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]