Fordmods Logo

Explorer manifold - IAT sensor 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Explorer manifold - IAT sensor
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: DL LTD

QLD, Australia

I have just installed an explorer manifold on a DL. Currently i have extended the IAT wires to run it in the air intake but im not real stoked about the idea. I know one of the options is to have a boss put in number 5 runner, but I have also heard some say you can get a chip that allows the IAT to be run from the intake. Is that right?....if so can anyone point me in the right direction as far as these chips go?

Lets just pretend I give a s**t and leave it at that.....

Post subject: Re: Explorer manifold - IAT sensor
Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

I'm running mine in the intake as per AU, but that being said, I'm also running an AU AFM, and I have no issues what so ever.

Gab

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Landau510 wrote:
I have just installed an explorer manifold on a DL. Currently i have extended the IAT wires to run it in the air intake but im not real stoked about the idea. I know one of the options is to have a boss put in number 5 runner, but I have also heard some say you can get a chip that allows the IAT to be run from the intake. Is that right?....if so can anyone point me in the right direction as far as these chips go?

It's mainly about adaptive learning. The e-series ecu only "learns" between IAT's of 37 - 90 degrees celcius. Without adaptive learning operating, the first time the battery is disconnected it will revert to factory settings and stay there. You need a (J3) chip with an adaptive temperature window that suits your IAT sensor location. You can pm me if you want to know more

IAT has a tiny effect on other things as well (eg ignition timing, idle speed), but pretty minimal so these can be ignored.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

cheers guys...ok just to be clear AFM is just the updated version of MAF? yeah?...soooooo does that mean if I get the AU AFM and swap it for my EL MAF then all is good?....im still thinking it would be different operating temps which would cause havoc with the EL ECM?

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Landau510 wrote:
cheers guys...ok just to be clear AFM is just the updated version of MAF? yeah?...soooooo does that mean if I get the AU AFM and swap it for my EL MAF then all is good?....im still thinking it would be different operating temps which would cause havoc with the EL ECM?

Run the MAF (AFM) that suits your ecu. If you run an AU MAF on E-series ecu the AFR will be wrong in open loop - it gets rediculously fat at higher RPM, which at least is safe but not conducive to max power or economy. A chip can correct that situation, but I am not aware of anyone having an accurate mass transfer table for the AU MAF. So this makes getting a generic tuned chip a bit tough and usually requires on-vehicle tuning.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

So would something like this suit?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Moates-Ford- ... 53e4b15402

It doesnt list DL but does list NL...and are the tuning files any good?

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

You can just drill and tap the no. 5 runner to take the e series iat. Running it in the same spot as e series is the smart and more accurate way to do it having it in the factory e series location.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]