Fordmods Logo

Extra Poke for EF Ghia 5.0 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Extra Poke for EF Ghia 5.0
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey all, yeah I've read through the threads and done my homework now I have questions of my own to ask! , Had fun too sas u can probably see from all my diggings, and exhumed funny's...lol

I just purchased a EF Ghia 5.0, no mods stock as all hell- shes on LPG. But also runs great on Petrol. $4,500 with 160k's. ok I think

just want a little more poke from her. I dont have big bucks for trick flow intake, throttle body, alloy heads,cam, roller rockers and all the gear!

I have it booked in for a redback job on Monday, hotdog at the rear too.
I bought a k&n filter, and new Airbox- have ordered EL GT Snorkel.

1. Is it worth replacing the old 57mm MAF, with a 65mm? Or is that wank factor and only relevant after other mods?

2. What sort of extractors do you guys find the best (Ive heard E7 as compared to gt40p's req different extractors)

3. Benefits of porting exitsting HO Manifold? Or put on explorer Mani?

4.Is there a worthwhile increase changing from E7's to gt40p's?
seeing as though AUs with gt40p's only have 10kw at the fly opposed to stocker EF's?

5. Can the existing motor (all stock apart from exhaust, extracs) be blown with out cracking her open, say to like 5psi- expecting around 150-170 atw?? I know this will cost, but a second hand blower low boost can surely be cost effective? Or a am I dreaming? At what cost, I am not a tosser who wants 280atw from a stock blown motor, coz I know it will "BLOW" after a while!!

6. Also the ef engine bay and its relatively closed up space, ie- no grille- looks like it could benifit from a different air intake. Anyone done this?

Also I don't wish to alter the tune, coz whatever its at- on the freeway shes returning around 400=450k's on 70 L's of LPG, Which I reckon to be pretty good.

:wink:
Thanks in advance anyone who is prepared to read my rot, and try to help me!!

cheers Mick.

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Kilma has an EL XR8 with a Vortech unopened pushing out about 295rwhp with stock everything as far as I know. He's run a 13.5 1/4 mile in it as well as far as I know.

Get yourself a set of BPT under-drive pulleys and pacemaker tri-y headers. Upgrading to the AU 73mm(I think that's the size, someone will correct me if I'm wrong) maf could also help out. I'm not sure whether upgrading to the 65mm AU throttle body will be a marked improvement with the e7s and HO tho, but someone will be able to give a definate answer on that one. With stock motor with HO, headers, underdrives, maf and a tune I saw 211rwhp. I'd recommend the tune, but you've mentioned you want to stay away from it.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

see thats my issue wheather to do like you said stock motor with HO, headers, underdrives, maf - to get what you got- close to 160 rwkw.

or to just blow it for the same effect, with the same reliability - I dunno!!!! I'm Not after huge power. 160 atw will suffice.

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

If you can get AU3 XR8 220kw GT40Ps then your off to a good start rather than stock GT40Ps. I bought stock ones then sold them and got the 220kw GT40Ps
I would not bother to port the HO stuff at all. I'd save the money and get an Explorer manifold fitted instead and while its off a cam should slide in at the same time.

Under drive pulleys (race series) are a good option too.

All up so far I've spent about $6k on heads, cam, under drives, port matching, MAF. And my car goes great.
Any other specific info you want just ask. More than happy to help.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

If you don't mind getting dirt under your fingernails and can use a spanner, try home porting your heads and intake. It will only cost you the new gaskets. This with a set of extractors and underdrives will get your car going better and with a diff ratio change, you will get it going quicker.

I got the single pulley underdrive setup (cheaper)as I simply couldn't see the value in the 3 pulley setup. Thats for those who have either poor cooling systems and/or high alternator load and need the water pump and alternator to spin at stock speeds.

Wack in a cam and it will smoke hard, even on LPG.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:45 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

If you have time(and not money) it's worth porting the stock lower...the upper is actually very good. Go here for info... http://www.cmc.net/~xero/Mousesporting.html
Get some pacemakers and the 3 piece underdrives as scaffy said. Get a 65mm t-body(no larger!) and you can use the 70mm MAF body from an AU with your hotwire on it.
Bump your base timing to 32-34deg(experiment in that range). Get a multiple spark ignition for it(eg crane Hi-6). Fit some 1.7 roller rockers and leave the stock cam in there.
Throw away the hotplate on top of the engine. Adjust your TPS properly(see sticky above)
What size is this exhaust you're getting?

Pete.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
If you have time(and not money) it's worth porting the stock lower...the upper is actually very good. Go here for info... http://www.cmc.net/~xero/Mousesporting.html
Get some pacemakers and the 3 piece underdrives as scaffy said. Get a 65mm t-body(no larger!) and you can use the 70mm MAF body from an AU with your hotwire on it.
Bump your base timing to 32-34deg(experiment in that range). Get a multiple spark ignition for it(eg crane Hi-6). Fit some 1.7 roller rockers and leave the stock cam in there.
Throw away the hotplate on top of the engine. Adjust your TPS properly(see sticky above)

Pete.

Why take the plate off?? Heat issues? The exhaust is a Redback 2.5'' from the Cats back. I will have a straight through muffler in the centre- hotdog for the rear- I am hoping for a nice note at best, I know no performance can be gained from this only.. how much for 1.7 rollers???

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:26 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

raff-26 wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

Pete.

Why take the plate off?? Heat issues? The exhaust is a Redback 2.5'' from the Cats back. I will have a straight through muffler in the centre- hotdog for the rear- I am hoping for a nice note at best, I know no performance can be gained from this only.. how much for 1.7 rollers???

Yes heat soak issues...not only does it keep the heat in the intake but it bakes the harness as well. That exhaust sounds like the shot for what you have. Last 1.7's I got cost $400 for some crane energizers...they should be cheaper still by now.
If you want to talk about what order to buy the parts in I'd go like this...
Underdrives.
Headers.
65mm t-body
Crane Hi-6 or MSD digital6(if you're loaded :wink: )
1.7 rockers
MAF

Pete.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so tell me what the advantages of these roller rocker 1.7's are? And is i worth it will still stock e7's, and Ho Mani's?

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

also the underdrives what purpose do they serve? and average price?

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:55 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

They reduce the speed at which the engine accessories are turned at which greatly reduces parisitic losses. The water pump is the worst offender which is why the 3 piece set is the best. It has smaller crank pulley,larger water pump pulley and slightly smaller alt. pulley.
These are the single best bang for the buck on a 5.0 because you free up torque and hp across the entire rev range.
Ask BPT for a price.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

What gas system are you running? Unless you have a good one, don't wast your monny. Best to strait gas the car. The only mods you want as duel fuel car are 3.9 diff and maybe underdrive pullys. Port the ho inlet worth doing.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

chipyyyy wrote:
What gas system are you running? Unless you have a good one, don't wast your monny. Best to strait gas the car. The only mods you want as duel fuel car are 3.9 diff and maybe underdrive pullys. Port the ho inlet worth doing.

Not too sure mate, I will check and post it....yeah But I mean when I wanna crack her I can put it to petrol.
It returns I think better then average on gas anyway...around 450 per 68L's LPG combined driving.

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

My xr8 has a 425impco gas mixer. Running with mixer on petrol 7.5 0-100. Witout mixer 6.5 0-100 big dif.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NC5.0 & 04 Ex!

VIC, Australia

I've got an Explorer upper and lower manifold still for sale. Will throw in fuel rails and felpro gaskets.

I was going to add it to my NC Fairlane 5.0 but it's me work car so I want the extra $$$ to fix the project car.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/fs-vic-e ... t=explorer

NO TV AND NO BEER MAKE HOMER GO SOMETHING SOMETHING...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next