Fordmods Logo

FBT - Strange problem(s) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: FBT - Strange problem(s)
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL FBT #079

VIC, Australia

I hope I have posted this in the correct place.

As stated I have a FBT, I only drive it occasionally, but it has just recently started doing a couple of wierd things:

1. If I turn the car off with the climate control on then restart anytime in the next couple of hours, the first time it fires up it stalls, start it again directly afterwards and it is fine. If I turn the climate control off before turning the car off it starts everytime no problems.

2. Don't know if this is related but the transmission sometimes does not change back to first when I stop, it seems to only change back to second, but if I select 1st on the selector it changes back no problems, this happens in all modes on the transmission.

I have had the car to Ford to check for error codes and none came up, the car has also been to the transission place that our work cars go to and had a service and they couldn't fault it. I have replaced the idle speed controller which hasn't helped.

I was going to try new TPS's next but thought that I should maybe ask for advise from people on here first.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

how old is ur car, what car is it?
well with the transmission, i dont know about ur car but other cars i work on usually start in 2nd gear as its programed to unless in sports mode. so maybe its normall, they do this for smoothness and econemy,

with the stalling maybe ur fule pump is on its way out( its check control valve), or that the climate control if it uses vacumme, maybe be leaking!

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

The car is a 1998 Fairlane By Tickford. It has done 67,500kms.

The transmission seems to do it regardless of whether it is in Adaptive shift, Max. Performance, or Max Economy.

Vacuum could be something to check out for the climate control prob.

thanks

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

If your tranny plays up its usually something stupid like low fluid or lack of service, but since uve done that it could be the inhibitor switch playing up. it'll go into limp mode or not go back into gear properly

you can service them yourselve (white lil box mounted with 2x 8mm bolts on the passenger side of the gearbox underneath) (accesable from underneath) and just open it up gently and clean all the contacts and get 1000 on the contacts and spray some electric lube and clip it back together and put it back on .. usually quite easy, or second hand from $25+ from wreckers.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that, I will give it a go tonight when I get home from work.

As for the Climate control, I had a look around last night for a hose off somewhere and found nothing, I will have to spend a little more time on this I think.

Other people on here have had problems with load sensors, is there one for the aircon?? and is this likely to be something I should be looking at?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

my wife works at an auto elecs where they do alot of a/c work and has allways told me to make sure the a/c is off when you turn the car off as when you start the car your cranking over the compressor the have even seen 6cyl e series crack the compressor in 2 peices on start up so i would just get into the habit of turning you climate control off as its a common problem with fords! so they say and they sell alot of compressors

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]