Fordmods Logo

Head Gasket or something else? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Head Gasket or something else?
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hi all,

I bought myself an NC Fairlane 5.0 a few months back. its is stunning condition, clearly been owned by an older couple for alot of its life. it has 286,000ks but engine gearbox and diff are SO smooth and quiet, generally in excellent order.

i ran some cheap oil through it for an hours worth of driving or so (just to flush it out) and i then bought some good penrite and a good filter.

when i was pouring the new oil into the filler tube i noticed a little white slime on the side walls of the filler tube neck. i also notice just a hint of the same thing under the cap after i bought it.

now the cooling system had been let go a little. i flushed it out a while back also. the egr had also rotted out a little, one of the barbs snapped off when i touched it, i fixed this and everything has seemed ok since.

my question is, it it likely that the head gasket(s) ahve gone or is it more likelt that something in the intake manifold maybe has gone and whats the best fix? im still becomming familiar with these motors so any advice is appreciated.

thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Head Gasket or something else?
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

It might just be a bit of condensation. I would wipe it off and see if it re-appears and also check if you are using coolant.

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

Headgasket troubles are pretty uncommon on these motors, unless it has been badly overheated at some point. Unlikely I'd say.

I'd be pulling off that EGR spacer, throw in some new gaskets and bypass the coolant lines to it altogether. A pressure test of the system after doing this will narrow things down a bit.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

The v8s also seem to have a tendency to get cavitation behind the water pump, eating through the timing cover, and letting it weep in there. You may have a pinhole that could get worse. might be worth a look?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yes the rear of water pump/ timing cover can have issues..
If it was mine I would leave it, but keep an eye on it!! ..
It just could be nursed heaps by previous owners and has condensation in oil ..
Check coolant levels.. Make sure all engine to chassis earths are fine to prevent electrolysis...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]