Fordmods Logo

Headers, sandblasted, sprayed and wrapped. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Headers, sandblasted, sprayed and wrapped.
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 V8 UTE - Mod

NSW, Australia

Hi All,

Just a few pics of my 'Job for the Day'.

Currently doing an engine rebuild so whilst my headers where off I decided to give them some LTC.
Sandblasted and resprayed - $50.00... I supplied the exhaust paint... $20.00 Bursons.

I also heat wrapped the headers, for i really want to keep the engine bay cool. Bursons and Repco wanted $105.00 for a 15 meter roll of heat wrap, no clips included, though i knew I would need more than 15 meters for a pair of heads, which meant i would have been up for $210.00

In the end I found a good contact online, which i collected form Seaforth. $70.00 for a 20 meter roll which also included 10 S/Steal tires. I also brought another bag of 10 tires for $30.00, which i did not regret. I also brought 8 heat socks for my plugs for in the past I've always had problems with arcing and shortlife span on my leads. Heat socks cost $12.95 each... Repco was wanting $21.95 for Top Guns.

Wrapping the headers took longer than I thought and it was an intuitive process. I began buy cutting the roll into 2 equal lengths, than smaller strips for the individual pipes. My advice would be - better to have a small off cut at the end of your run than coming up short.

At the end of the job, i had about 2.5 meters left over. I wrapped the headers tight but not over the top. Bottom line - 15 meter roll would not be enough.

This is the link for the heat wrap - http://www.thermalvelocity.com.au.

His an older guy working from home. Product comes from his son's factory in England. Product appears to be of top quality... and needless to say, I m just your average gear head - I do not work for this company!!! BUT - Highly recommend.

Attachments:
sandblastered, sprayed.jpg
sandblastered, sprayed.jpg [ 123.48 KiB | Viewed 197 times ]
half wrap.jpg
half wrap.jpg [ 162.6 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]
Full Heat wrap with tires. .jpg
Full Heat wrap with tires. .jpg [ 124.53 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]
File comment: Heat socks
Heat wraped headers with SP heat socks.jpg
Heat wraped headers with SP heat socks.jpg [ 127.23 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
Heat sock close up .jpg
Heat sock close up .jpg [ 108.02 KiB | Viewed 252 times ]

AU Ute ~ R350
347 ~ fordstroker(10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R series 90 manifold / FTI custom cam / Accufab 85mm Race TB / Lightening 90mm MAF/ Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / Comp Pacemakers + 3" exhaust / BA XR8 Premium brake pac /3.45 gears./ Pedders Xtreme coil overs / QH Tune

Post subject: Re: Headers, sandblasted, sprayed and wrapped.
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Be interesting to see how much heat reduction you get from this. :D

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

I agree with the quality of the Thermal Velocity plug boots. I recently put 4 on the drivers side bank of my EFI Windsor with 40p heads and ELGT Headers. It was a bugga to get them on over the plug boots of the Ford Racing 9mm leads I used. Cylinders 3 and 4 are resting on the header, so time will tell how well they stand up to it.

It would have been a mission to heat wrap the headers, props to you for doing it, it looks like you did a really good job.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 V8 UTE - Mod

NSW, Australia

Just an update... Heat wrap instructions informed the headers will smoke for the first 10 or 15 minutes on start up... though the last thing i wanted was smoking pipes on a new engine start up.

Cure - I stuck a heat gun up the end of the pipe and sat it under an extraction fan... and sure enough,they smoked like an old indian :roll:

Colour also faded back to a mid tone grey/black.

Finally, for some strange reason I thought I would be able to pick up the pipe without gloves, after 10 or so mintes on the heat gun. NOT SO - gloves required. I mean it did not burn my hand when i picked it up, but there was no way i could hold the pipe for more than 5 or 10 seconds without gloves.

So now I am starting to think - how much heat reduction will actually occur ???

AU Ute ~ R350
347 ~ fordstroker(10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R series 90 manifold / FTI custom cam / Accufab 85mm Race TB / Lightening 90mm MAF/ Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / Comp Pacemakers + 3" exhaust / BA XR8 Premium brake pac /3.45 gears./ Pedders Xtreme coil overs / QH Tune

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

you must have a pretty good heat gun.... I use an old hairdryer which I suspect wouldn't of sufficed lol

I had that wrap on my extractors in my 6cyl. for the purpose of the argument the heat wrap worked well at reducing the under bonnet temps.

Hard to find a solid answer but some say it reduces the life of the extractors due to them loosing their ability to cool themselves. Mine are still kicking and they've been around since before pacemaker was pacemaker & still serve me well.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]