Help ! Advice needed on upgrade options 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Help ! Advice needed on upgrade options
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FORD BA XR8

TAS, Australia

Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and firstly I gotta say this place rocks...

Anyway i'm wanting to get some work done on my BA XR8 and I'm pretty un-educated when it comes to this type of stuff so I'm hoping I can get some good advice.

What I want done is this:

Cold Air Induction
Extractors
Quad Tip Exhaust System

Ok so i know thats what I want but i dont know whether this is the best bang for buck option i have, I have got a couple quotes so far and one place told me they could do the CAI, extractors, and an X-Force split system twin 2.5" exhaust for $3300.. Is that reasonable and would that exhaust be a quad tip of just two on the one side ??

Also i hear a lot about high flow cats, firstly what the hell are they and do i need them too ?

Any advice would be much appreciated..

Cheers...

Post subject: Re: Help ! Advice needed on upgrade options
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

hi-flow cats are the catalytic convertors on your exhaust system up near the end of the exhaust headers. they look like small mufflers preety much.
and hi-flow cats are just that- hi flow.
i rekon they arent overy necessary.

also add to your list : underdrive pulleys, oil pump gears(stronger ones), and a custom dyno tune.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Cheers mate,

I called the place back that had the best priced and asked a few more questions and they told me that the X-Force system i wanted came with high flow cats so the $3300 quote i was given is for the:

CAI
Extractors
X-Force Hi-Flow Cats
X-Force Split System 2.5" Exhaust with Quad Tips

So unless anyone can tell me a reason why not to order the above I'm taking the car in next week...

Also in regard to the other things you mentioned : underdrive pulleys, oil pump gears(stronger ones). Are these things that I need if I do the upgrades i'm planning on, or are they simply more upgrades that will help with performance. If they are essential I guess i'll get that done to, in fact if its not that expensive I'll do it anyway. Will i see much performance increase from the underdrive pulleys and oil pump gears and does that cost much ??

Cheers again... I appreciate the help....

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

no probs.
Underdrives basically slow the drive belt down so therres less load on the crank. so more power to the wheels. and rev up faster.
Not a great heap of power but noticeable and nice.
Oil pump gears will add no power whatsoever but when it comes to gettting your car dyno tuned they can push it up into the revvs without them failing. as the standard ones have a habbit of failing at around 6000 rpm i believe.
Im sure somone else will guide you also.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Perhaps get two other quotes ( even if you have no intention of going to them ) and then compare all three prices. Someone might do the same components for less and with less labor. Always worth the cost of a phone call.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

I did get 5 quotes in total by the time I decided on who I was going with, It's amazing how much the price can differ for the same stuff... Highest price i got was $4750, for the exact same gear...

Anyway I'm going to make the call tomorrow and find out about the underdrive pulleys and the oil pump gears, if anyone knows of a good place to source these parts I might see if I can supply the parts, depending on the price they give me..

Really hoping to see a decent performance jump once I've done all this work, I'll also be getting the tune done as well.

I know you can buy different ECU's but a mate told me I should already have a better chip as the car is an ex cop car.... I dunno, I'll get it tuned once the work is done and if I still need more performance I guess its back to the drawing boards...

Cheers !

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]