Fordmods Logo

help with water pump on xr8 please 

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

prices change heaps from dealer to dealer. everything is cheaper at fords 100km away from me than it is in the s**t i live in, got no idea why.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

millard455 wrote:
wen it starts leaking could it be the gasket or is the cover stuffed once it leaks?? could ya explain this front seal a bit more for me please? i dont know much about the inner workings of engines, but im learning :D :D

Crankshaft seal has been addressed... so, no dramas.

In all reality, if your timing cover has "let go" (they can be cavitated on the water pump face by casting sand in the coolant)... you're going to have a bit more than a water leak... you'll have coolant gushing into the sump.. obviously an engine wont last long once that happens :)

Also - such a failure will not result in external coolant leak.

So you're positive the coolant is leaking from between the timing cover and the block? It's possible, as the timing cover has water lines in it... as the coolant passes from the block, through the timing cover into the water pump... so its possible the timing cover gasket has failed around this passage.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
millard455 wrote:
wen it starts leaking could it be the gasket or is the cover stuffed once it leaks?? could ya explain this front seal a bit more for me please? i dont know much about the inner workings of engines, but im learning :D :D

In all reality, if your timing cover has "let go" (they can be cavitated on the water pump face by casting sand in the coolant)... you're going to have a bit more than a water leak... you'll have coolant gushing into the sump.. obviously an engine wont last long once that happens :)

So you're positive the coolant is leaking from between the timing cover and the block? It's possible, as the timing cover has water lines in it... as the coolant passes from the block, through the timing cover into the water pump... so its possible the timing cover gasket has failed around this passage.

im 99% sure its leaking from between the cover and block but i will check it all again. im having heaps of trouble getting parts i need like timing cover bolts, gotta buy each 1 not a kit and i dont know how long and what size they are and neither does the bloke at fords here. cant find water pump bolts, ford said they dont make them and repco have no idea. do i need a harmonic balancer remover cos thats the only pully remover i could find? this is what its like doing stuff to cars in small country s**t :( thanks for the help so far :D , id be stuffed without this help

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

millard455 wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
millard455 wrote:

im 99% sure its leaking from between the cover and block but i will check it all again. im having heaps of trouble getting parts i need like timing cover bolts, gotta buy each 1 not a kit and i dont know how long and what size they are and neither does the bloke at fords here. cant find water pump bolts, ford said they dont make them and repco have no idea. do i need a harmonic balancer remover cos thats the only pully remover i could find? this is what its like doing stuff to cars in small country s**t :( thanks for the help so far :D , id be stuffed without this help

Yeah bud, universal harmonic balancer remover will do the trick (remember to fit it to inner ring or you'll pull the balancer apart lol). If you wanna remove the water pump pulley, it just bolts onto the pump... no puller required.

With water pump/timing cover bolt replacement, i took mine out of the engine and took em into coventry fasteners and asked them to match em. Yeah... Ford have been discontinued on the water pump bolts for many years now... prob a good thing, horribly expensive (i tried to order a new balancer retaining bolt... $25... plus another $25 for the washer... got em both at coventry fasteners for $7 lol).

Dont worry too much about the bolts that go straight from the cover into the block... it's the ones that go through the water pump that get f--ked up... couple of them are very long... the far left and far right hand side of the water pump... they're the ones you want to avoid breaking at all costs... even Captain Thread went running when i asked him to get my broken ones out lol.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

well im finaly making some progress, got a few parts orginised.
new timing cover for $260 plus freight- thanks trick flow el
waterpump and gasket $120
timing cover gasket and front seal $40
botom radiator hoses $40
2 small hoses on waterpump $60
pully remover $25
waiting on reply from rocket ind about bolts.
plus oil, oil filter, coolant and gasket goo
am i missing anything??

if i take the bolts to a shop here chances are they wont have a match and my engine will be stuck without any coolant in it untill i could get them elsewhere, wouldnt imagine that would be good for it. do i need another pully remover to remove power steer and altinator pullys cos i thaught it would be a good time for a b.p.t. underdrive kit to go on.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Dunno about alt pulley, have never tried it. I think can usually get them off with rattle gun?? i.e. that pulley is held on with a bolt.

Yes, p/s pulley requries a special tool... about $150 special.... as the pulley is pressed on to the pump's input shaft...

With bolts, take em to any decent fastener place and they should be able to match. Wasting your time at local mechanic or hardware tho... doesnt appear to be any coventry fasteners down your neck of the woods.

http://www.covfast.com.au/coventry/divi ... cts.htm#sa

Get yourself some CRC Gasket Stripper and a few razor blades for the water pump + timing cover gaskets.

Sounds like you're doing a proper job of it tho. Tidy work.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Dunno about alt pulley, have never tried it. I think can usually get them off with rattle gun?? i.e. that pulley is held on with a bolt.

Yes, p/s pulley requries a special tool... about $150 special.... as the pulley is pressed on to the pump's input shaft...

With bolts, take em to any decent fastener place and they should be able to match. Wasting your time at local mechanic or hardware tho... doesnt appear to be any coventry fasteners down your neck of the woods.

http://www.covfast.com.au/coventry/divi ... cts.htm#sa

Get yourself some CRC Gasket Stripper and a few razor blades for the water pump + timing cover gaskets.

Sounds like you're doing a proper job of it tho. Tidy work.

we dont have any good fastener shops here. i found stainless bolts but at $300 they are dreaming. will wait for rocket ind to reply. apart from the bolts the only thing i cant find is a cheap tension wrench but once i get one i should be on the way. and yes im doing a proper job of it cos i dont wana do it again anytime soon.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

any ideas on why it only leaks after the engine has cooled down, bout 4 hours after turning it off? prob dont make any diference to my problem, just thaught id ask.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

thermal expansion possibly tightens things up a bit, don't know if these levels of temperature would be enough for that though, so as soon as i cools down things shrink and the gap would become bigger.....thats my guess anyway

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

That sounds reasonable to me.

So you're positive its the timing cover?

When my water pump died on me, it was OK when driving... but then, once pump stopped pumping and car was left to sit, coolant would find its way past the seal on the input shaft.

Not long after that, the seal completely let go and coolant was gushing out of the front of the water pump via the casting/draining holes.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

well im 99% sure. when i was pokeing around where the cover meets the block a small amount of coolant started weaping down the front of the block. there is a litle valey on the timing cover or waterpump (cant remember) on driver side under the thermostat, this gets a small amount of coolant in there there and it runs down the front of the block very slowly. i will have another look 2morow when i get some time.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xlsv8ute

SA, Australia

Millard, sounds as though its just a seal gone in your water pump. Take the belt off and spin water pump and see if it rumbles or has linial or axial movement. If has movement and rumbles, DO something about it soon or you could loose the pump shaft thru your radiater matey. This check will take you about 3minutes. changing a water pump is a good starting job for the newer soul to the mechanical side of engines. couple hr job. HAVE A GO :lol:

go the CROWS

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

chrisredden wrote:
Millard, sounds as though its just a seal gone in your water pump. Take the belt off and spin water pump and see if it rumbles or has linial or axial movement. If has movement and rumbles, DO something about it soon or you could loose the pump shaft thru your radiater matey. This check will take you about 3minutes. changing a water pump is a good starting job for the newer soul to the mechanical side of engines. couple hr job. HAVE A GO :lol:

thanks for that mate, ill give it a go tomorow but im prety sure its the timing cover or timing cover gasket cos it got worse after i was pokeing at where the cover meets the block. i was talking to a bloke at race parts and he said they have sold heaps of timing covers and pumps latley, must be at thier used by date so even if its just the pump it might be a good idea to replace the cover while im at it.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

chrisredden wrote:

well i took the drive belt off and checked waterpump and there is no movement but there is a slight whine when spining it slowly but not when spining it fast but its geting replaced anyway so i guess it doesnt matter and i wont be driving it till its all fixed.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yep more questions :D when i remove the harmonic balancer do i gota mark the position its in so when i put i back on it goes on in the same position or will it only go back on the way it came off?? sorry bout all the questions but ive never even seen a balencer out of the car.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next