Fordmods Logo

How to replace a Timing Chain on a Windsor EFI 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: How to replace a Timing Chain on a Windsor EFI
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

I installed a brand new timing cover, water pump and timing chain on my windsor recently,

Here is the Timing Chain part for anyone (like me) who needs pictures of how to.

This is how the chain looks inside the engine, you need to put the balancer bolt back on and turn the crank clockwise until the red circled parts line up (6 o'clock for top and 12 o'clock for bottom = DOT to DOT) will take a few turns to line up. Then tap ur ratchet to crack the bolt off (if you dont have access to a rattle gun) if the marks move dont worry retighten and line it up a again but stop just before it is dead on and re tap the bolt, (took me 3 goes to unloosen the bolt lined up)

then remove the camshaft bolt, now gripping the top chain lever it out slowly towards you with your hands, it will slowly start moving and once it is far enough grab the bottom chain and do the same, its not too difficult.

This my new chain, it has multiple keyways for cam adjustment, i bought it cause it was $5 difference than the single keyway chain $130

There is a gold washer on the rear (pictured) I placed this on the cam with oil and it stayed put while I slipped the new timing chain on.

Firstly holding the top sprocket in one hand I lined up the bottom sprocket dot to dot (at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock = DOT to 0) for stock application, you can adjust or retard with the different keyways, keep the top half of the chain tensioned from here as you dont want to slip a tooth while fitting.

First oil both shafts on the engine, Start at the bottom and it should slide onto the key way, wiggle it through then the top half will be ready to slide on. Once it wont go no more get a punch and tap it lightly around till it is flush and same on the bottom.

torque camshaft bolt to 50nm and let fresh oil pour over the top of the chain and run down on both sides, dont splash it on just ease it out.

Hopefully I havent fuked anything up,

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Last edited by lethal EA on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How to install a Timing Chain on a Windsor
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

1 click start! Awesome.

Took covers off idler pulleys and regreased the bearings.

Once the lifters bled out it was all quiet.

video-

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Post subject: Re: How to replace a Timing Chain on a Windsor EFI
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford TE50 Charged

VIC, Australia

Thanks for posting. This would come in handy for anyone else attempting this.
Just one thing not sure if your able to answer this or not or possibly someone else.
The chain set you used has multiple keyways on the crank.
From what i have read its possible to move the camshaft forward or back to advance or retard to bring the power curve lower or higher in the rev range.
Can someone draw an arrow on one of the pics above either to the left or the right and show which way would bring the power curve lower and higher. If it can be drawn in for all it may be worth it if some wanted to try this.
My cousin has a cam in his car specs unkown and down low its a real pig till the cam kicks in. If we could eliminate this by using this method it would be great.

Regards
Ps sorry to hyjack your thread.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]