Fordmods Logo

Intermittent power loss 5.0L 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Intermittent power loss 5.0L
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I have an injected 5.0l from an EB in my hot rod. I have done about 13000 trouble free ks until a few weeks ago when it started to play up. The engine just seems to suddenly lose power but if I feather the throttle it recovers and continues on. I have noticed that it occurs if I go over some really rough road (3 times its happened like that) but today I was coming back from Toowoomba, been driving for 90 minutes trouble free when it started to play up again on a dead smooth section of the arterial moterway. As with the situations before, I backed off, feathered the throttle and it seemed to come good again, although it was a bit sluggish when I pulled away from the next intersection

Anyone shed any light on what the problem may be and where I should start looking?.
Any Brisbane members able to recommend a sympathetic workshop that will check out a hot rod ie non standard issue set-up

Thanks

Chris

34ceedan

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: falocn

VIC, Australia

i have had a very similar problem with my ef 5.0l. i took it to atleast 2 or 3 different workshops and no one could find the problem.
i ended up finding the problem myself. it was the spark plug leads sometimes either crossfiring or just sometimes just arking out onto the engine.
easyest way to see if it is this problem with yours. is to have it running when its pitch black outside or in a shed, and look at the engine to see if you can see any arking from the leads.
hope this helps you find your problem

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

My EF was doing exactly the same thing, and that ended up being the plug in the coil. This is the low voltage signals from the computer, not the lead to dizzy. The plug was cracked and would jump out of position. Got me into some sticky situations.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

I'd be checking fuel pressure and flow as well.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]