make it go faster 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

schnoods wrote:
Are you going Manual?

If you arent, a set of 3.9's-4.11's and a smallish stall will see 12's.

I went 3.7's from 3.23's and I did wish i went shorter. 3.7's are a good gear too, i hit 5500 in 3rd crossing the line on 1/4.

I am/was in a similar boat running similar power with a blower, the next step with the heads and cam (which i have) is too big of a step for me as the cost of a new bottom end/block if it all went pear shaped.

going a blower on your setup would require alot of fabrication, or returning to the explorer or similar inlet. Making a Plenum to suit the throttle bodies would be great, but hiding the throttle bodies is criminal.

Tough decisions. :?

its a manual now, it went 13.4 with the auto and a small stallie (then the auto gave up), im yet to run it with the manual.. i believe in its current form that it should go very low 13's..

the fabrication bit wouldnt be that difficult, i would just buld an airbox over where the air filters are now.. shame to hide it, but you can still see it all from the sides.. i could sell the 8tb setup and get an explorer type setup but id never get anywhere near what it owes me.

blacksabbath189 wrote:
So you've basically got two options?

- Larger grind/custom camshaft
- Small blower set-up

- or NOS ( but it seems your quite against it? )

Just a suggestion..
You could purchase a cheap 4cyl to get to work while the 8 is off the road? if you went with the cam choice..

And with the blower choice, as "Schnoods" said, Hiding those throttle bodies is criminal..

if i went the blower route it would still look like something very different i promise :)
the reason for the anti NOS thing is i dont wanna have to refil the bottles..

Scaffy wrote:
How much piston - valve clearance do you have with the stage 2 trick flow cam? Going with something bigger may pose a problem. Even 1.72rrs could be getting pretty close.

I've got 3.7s and manual and I reckon they are a great ratio. I stepped up from 3.23 though, so quiite a difference was noticable. They got me a 1.9 60 footer as well.

i honestly cant remember how much p2v ive got, all i know is it was enough lol..
when my LSD totally gives up ill probably step upto 3.7's but ill wait til i totally kill the 3.45 diff (wont be too long.. its pretty tired)

TerroristGHIA wrote:
I was quoted 5600 for a dart 302 block and eagle 347 stroker kit, which is good dollars if you ask me. Then there is maching and assembly on top of that.
I still think a small NOS kit would do it wonders
Brett

where was that from? did you have anymore details? thats pretty good buying with the block..

351EL wrote:
By looking at the pic you seem to be able to fabricate stuff.
I I were you I would get on ebay and find myself a eaton 112 or 122.

ill investigate that option... i want it all uder the bonnet, but im sure i can make it fit..

cheers
plenty of options to spend some chrissie monies on there

-mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

That was from High performance World, rang them last week, was a cast crank, custom rods and pistons and a 4.125bore Dart 302. With a stock crank thats 320cubes or with a 347 crank its 363 cubes. He had all the bits in stock and could be available within 24hrs from time of order. Good thing about this set up is that all your bits will fit, and will just need a retune. I am thinking of going this route myself, awaiting on some info re the 427 though
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

No way I'd use a cast crank in a DART block!!

Personally to make more on the $3000 budget I'd look at nitrous oxide.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Check out Pavtek's website. They've got the dart blocks at pretty decent prices. $2587 for the 302 sportsman with either 4.000" or 4.125" bore. Stroker kits for just under $2000.

http://www.pavtek.com.au/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=33

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

If your only interested in going faster I would (if you havent already done so) look at matching your diff ratio to the engine/trans combination, its a much cheaper alternative than taking some of the other next big steps.

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Your intake system is good for at least another 150 rwhp because bob romano made around 460 rwhp using 45 mm throttle bodies on his eb.
I would put a bigger cam in and do some more headwork and retune.
That should be possible for 3000

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: au2 xr8

WA, Australia

what about shaving the heads for more compression

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

green car wrote:
Your intake system is good for at least another 150 rwhp because bob romano made around 460 rwhp using 45 mm throttle bodies on his eb.
I would put a bigger cam in and do some more headwork and retune.
That should be possible for 3000

im assuming that would have been with alot more comp.. due to my stock pistons im stock at around the 9.2, 9.3-1 mark..

i think ill just collect some more funds and build a whole new bottom end...

thanks guys
mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

It may have even been a 347 but it still had a nearly identical intake to yours-lots of potential there

165 Killer Wasps all packaged in a green kmart car, almost an explorer in a way...

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Whats the go Mitch??? I didnt know you were playing again! Pick the comp up as I said to in the first place, or bring up the dynamic comp with a duration reduction. You have got the flow and we both know that it will rev beyond what you wish to go with it. Did you deck the block, I cant remember? Make the squish band work better with some of the FTI gaskets as Sean said.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2