Fordmods Logo

Mild V Stainless 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Mild V Stainless
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ba xr8 ute

WA, Australia

hey fellas im lookn for a good exhaust system for my ba xr8 ute. i want a real growl. Would twin 3' into 3 1/2' system give me this. And im curios why stainless steel is so much more expensive than mild steel. Is there a performance difference between the two...
Cheers

I'm a Ford freak
BA XR8 Ute...
5sp
twin 2 1/2"
J L audio 6x9s, splits,JL SUB, 600w AMP

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Don't know about pervformance but the stainless ones last about 3 or 4 times as long. But they can be brittle and don't like being bashed around on speehumps etc.
Hope this helps.

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Yeah i dont think they give any more performance, but they last a hell of a lot longer, waste of money if u ask me, unless u will be having a sparkling show car or have the extra cash for it. And yeah also they last longer, but after all the bumps and stuff it might take, it will prob be stuffed anyhows, inthe same period of mild steel.

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

ok cheers fellas . im from the country so id say it would take a bit of abuse. do u think im goin the right way with the system for the type of note i want. (loud and growly)..

I'm a Ford freak
BA XR8 Ute...
5sp
twin 2 1/2"

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Stainless also has the tendancy to crack... very common to happen on extractors.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

My workmate has a BA Mk2 XR8 sedan we fitted just a Herrod exhaust to it.From the cats back,was just a Y piece 2.5 inch,2.5inch dual exhaust all the way through to the back of the car.Has two smaller straight through design mufflers,one just before the diff and the other just under the read bar and has to 2.5 inch tips with chrome covers.Sounds good not too loud but when you get under it sounds tough.Also it isnt drowny inside the cabin.Herrod reckon that the exhaust is good for 8 kilowatts at the wheels.Noticed a bit ofpick up once we fitted it.But if you like louder just take out all mufflers.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Sorry that exhaust was just mild steel too.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:34 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

cheers mate. with the y piece is that a split system or is that the x piece that seperates the pipes to opposite sides of the vehicle.

I'm a Ford freak
BA XR8 Ute...
5sp
twin 2 1/2"

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

With that exhaust we fitted to the BA, the Y piece had to be replaced because of it being bigger and was mandrel bent.No cross pipe.It still runs along the same side where the standard exhaust run.But this Herrod exhaust was Slightly bigger than standard with the Y piece being 2.5inch from eahc of the cats then comming back into a sort of joint into the twin 2.5 inch pipes which run to the first muffler before the diff which is substantialy smaller than the stock one.Then over the diff with the dual 2.5inch to the smaller muffler at the back.Sorry to rave on but helps to explain little better.Well with your ute it maybe come different.We fitted this exhaust to a XR8 sedan so it might be a different setup for the ute.I'd ring around to see what types of systems there are and prices too.The Herrod exhaust we fitted cost around $850.It came with the new gaskets bolts and exhaust rubbers and chrome exhaust tips.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Hiace Van

SA, Australia

theres no real need for stainless youre only getting it for the next owner realy he will get the benefits. As far as X pipes go on exhausts I dont run one on my ute each valley runs its own pipe 2 1/4 to 2 1/2. it has and old rumbly sound to it. meaty.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

well i've just come from the exhaust place a few hours ago asking all the same questions :) this is what i've been told...

* stainless steel, cracks like ppl have been saying and although it may last longer the fiberglass inside the muffler will last the same as a mild steel one so your kinda f**k when thats gone

* cross/x pipes arnt worth getting, i was told the ones you buy are too far up and they dont work properly

* 3" is good for a turbo or 600hp car, it drones alot for what he likes (some ppl may like it)

* not worth high flow cats, same design inside as normal cats, dont last as long and dont come with warrenty, and apparently die pretty quick if you use optimax

this is all coming from a guy who's been in the business over 20 years so i'd say he knows what he's talking about

hope that helps

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

I have a stainless system, no cracking and mine has been on the car from new 97.

Yes stainless is expensive but It helps when you can get it for around $100-$150 per 6 metre length (316/2205) hehehe, or sometimes free if it’s only a short peace.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

Sounds like your exhaust bloke is pretty decent. What prices have u gotten? at least you can confirm now he isnt talking s**t. And id go mild all the way for a road car, if it was a show pony then stainless

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

a former flatmate of mine had a vr ss that had a pretty nice sounding exhaust. After a year and a half of daily driving the car he noticed a hole (heard it) so he replaced it with a full stainless exhaust. 4 years now and its still fine.

On the other hand i gotta mild steel 1 in my xr8 .2 1/2" with pacemakers as well and its holding up well after 2 years.

Mild steel is the go in my opinion when price is concerned.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Stainless will last longer and have a different sound. Basically just listen to your wallet.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]