Nc fairlane coolant leak 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Nc fairlane coolant leak
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:45 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairlane nc

WA, Australia

Hi all.
I have noticed a coolant leak on my 1993 v8 fairlane for a while now. Finally got under the car this morning, and the leak appears to be coming for the engine just above the crankshaft pulley. It is just next to where one of the larger radiator hoses fits onto the block, but like i said it is dead above the crank pulley. Is this my block leaking or is it a replaceable part!? Please help don't want to lose the lane over this.
All help appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Nc fairlane coolant leak
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

water pump by the sounds of it

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:01 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Is the water pump really located that far down in the engine? Is it easy to replace?

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah pretty straight forward

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:09 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

No worries thanks for your help will give that a go.

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Cheap water Pumps from CarsRUs.com.au - If you buy from them on ebay its free shipping. under $100

Yeah I know, not as cheap as the i6 ones.

Also - I believe they no longer have the USMW pumps

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:27 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Does it have to be the water pump? I thought It might just be the gasket?

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

If its above the crankshaft, its almost 100% going to be the pump. The gaskets dont just fail so often - they'll weep a little, but not leak.

its an easy job as long as the two outside bolts come out ok. if they dont (they often corrode in) then it can get to being a big job. pete might have some advice on that.
Ive done one car with both bolts frozen in/broken off - I was very persistent and got the timing cover off without smashing it over 5 days with bolt-off
and I did the water pump on my EL last weekend in under an hr because they were both ok.

Often though if the bolts are broken, your up for a new timing cover as you'll smash yours getting it off.

Anyway - the starting point is : be *very* gentle with those two outer bolts. I got mine moving, and then worked them a little like a tap - Quater turn off, then 1/8 turn back on etc, until I had enough room to spray bolt-off in. Sprayed that in very comprehensively and let it sit, and then continued to work it slowly.

More penetrator, more slow work, and eventually the bolt came out.

I then ran a 10mm drill bit into the holes (by hand) to loosen and remove the gunk (corrosion)
Then a bit more penetrator, some time, and a wipe-out with cotton buds as thats what I had around.

The other 7 bolts are usually ok. I replaced all of mine as a precaution, but at a minimum replace to two outer bolts as they are going to corrode and fail.

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nigel wrote:
If its above the crankshaft, its almost 100% going to be the pump. The gaskets dont just fail so often - they'll weep a little, but not leak.

its an easy job as long as the two outside bolts come out ok. if they dont (they often corrode in) then it can get to being a big job. pete might have some advice on that.
Ive done one car with both bolts frozen in/broken off - I was very persistent and got the timing cover off without smashing it over 5 days with bolt-off
and I did the water pump on my EL last weekend in under an hr because they were both ok.

Often though if the bolts are broken, your up for a new timing cover as you'll smash yours getting it off.

Anyway - the starting point is : be *very* gentle with those two outer bolts. I got mine moving, and then worked them a little like a tap - Quater turn off, then 1/8 turn back on etc, until I had enough room to spray bolt-off in. Sprayed that in very comprehensively and let it sit, and then continued to work it slowly.

More penetrator, more slow work, and eventually the bolt came out.

I then ran a 10mm drill bit into the holes (by hand) to loosen and remove the gunk (corrosion)
Then a bit more penetrator, some time, and a wipe-out with cotton buds as thats what I had around.

The other 7 bolts are usually ok. I replaced all of mine as a precaution, but at a minimum replace to two outer bolts as they are going to corrode and fail.

I had that problem, Bolt broke off in the block. I had to smash the timing cover to bits, and use vise grips to undo the bolt once it was off, Then I had to get a 2nd hand timing cover. I ended up pulling the motor out to do it all, Put all new gaskets through everything, been 12 months but I've almost got it all back together again. What a mission.

Gab

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I have a spare timing cover at home now... just in case - as I have 2 (soon to be 3) 5.0's

One of the local bolt removal guys told me he normally uses a dremel to cut the bolt hole side off, fill it with penetrator, and then remove. yukky job - and Ive been lucky

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nigel wrote:
I have a spare timing cover at home now... just in case - as I have 2 (soon to be 3) 5.0's

One of the local bolt removal guys told me he normally uses a dremel to cut the bolt hole side off, fill it with penetrator, and then remove. yukky job - and Ive been lucky

Unfortunately due to only having crappy tools, I was forced to smash it with a sledgehammer, lol, but I did it carefully

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]