Fordmods Logo

NC Fairlane Engine Conversion. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: NC Fairlane Engine Conversion.
Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:35 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford NCII Fairlane 1994

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, i currently have a 1994 NC Fairlane which holds a 6 cylinder. Just wanting to know, if i drop in the original 5L V8 that it came out in as well, would anyone know if the engine wiring loom is the same for the 6 & 8 cyl.???
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: NC Fairlane Engine Conversion.
Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Looms are different, The V8 requires additional wiring to run the auto, as the 6 has the auto controlled by the ECU and the 8 has a seperate ECU (trans Control Unit) to drive it. Then there is the fact the clusters are 6/8 specific and the list goes on. Unless you can get a donor V8 car wth everything needed and are doing the work yourself, I would just buy an NC V8.

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dont waste your time, get a head and cam package for the i6

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

2 good options there...

I'd tweak up the 6 personally.

Don't get me wrong here there's nothing like the sound of a lumpy 351, but I reckon fuel injected V8s are overrated. They just don't sound the same to me.
They chew fuel and you'd do the equivalent $ of work to both the 6 an 8 and they'd still be similar in perormance.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Lowlane7 wrote:
Don't get me wrong here there's nothing like the sound of a lumpy 351, but I reckon fuel injected V8s are overrated. They just don't sound the same to me.
They chew fuel and you'd do the equivalent $ of work to both the 6 an 8 and they'd still be similar in perormance.

LOL... I don't think so.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Vic wrote:
Lowlane7 wrote:

LOL... I don't think so.

fair enuff. :D

Also in the garage....

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
Lowlane7 wrote:

LOL... I don't think so.

Agreed with VIC. Obviously you have not been in an injected 5.0 or 351 that has had some coin thrown at it.

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Im just in the process of putting the NC 5.0 running gear into an XF - very similar to what your talking about here.

Youd need to change the engine harness, and the engine bay (body) harness over to the 5.0 ones. Im not sure about the dash harness and cluster, but I suspect that at a minimum youd need the cluster as well. I dont think the dash wiring itself is any different : the Engine Bay harness brings the trans wiring into the cabin and to the Auto ECU. Its connected to the Engine ECU Wiring just under the brake booster

You should be able to leave the Main Cabin Harness, and the Boot as is, as well as the fuel tank. Youd also need to re-do the exhaust

Nigel

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Vic wrote:
Lowlane7 wrote:

LOL... I don't think so.

Agreed with VIC. Obviously you have not been in an injected 5.0 or 351 that has had some coin thrown at it.

Brett

Well, not serious coin, but I've owned a few V8s before, a 302 XD sedan and that sounded nice, and my mate has a pretty crazy 351 XD ute that just sounds angry.
I've also owned a 5.0 EFI in a NC, that had an exhaust etc and yes, it had a V8 rumble but didn't sound quite the same to me. I can't really pick what it was that made it different, not saying they aren't any good, I have literally come to blows (well he wanted to hit me) over the Carbs Vs EFI argument, (yes a well tuned carby car can be just as responsive as EFI) and both have their own pedestal. I just reckon a carby has a differnent sound.
I guess I'm a little more Ol Schkol with V8s.
(I was mostly referring to noise)
(que the flames..... LOL..)

Also in the garage....

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford NCII Fairlane 1994

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys for the advice. :D I just reconditioned a Tickford XR6 motor in Feb & dropped into my NC. But this Feb coming up (2011) i will be inheriting a 1991 NC FAIRLANE V8 with all the running gear! It's a complete car. Everything still in OK working order.

This is why I'm asking about the wiring looms, bcoz my NC chassis is pretty good, apart from a few rust spots in the door all is very good. I know that the dash clusters & computers are different for the V8, and already have replacement parts for those too!!

Plus the 5.0L doesn't need to work as hard as the 6cyl in order to pull the weight of the Lane, and they run a lot quieter too! I've gotten quotes & ideas from many automotive engineers about "tweaking" up the 6cyl, and I'd be spending around $6000+ to stroke it & bore it out 30thou, and still wouldn't get much more power out of it.

Plus, always wanted a V8 :D :D :D

Thanks again guys.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
TerroristGHIA wrote:
Vic wrote:
Lowlane7 wrote:

LOL... I don't think so.

Brett

Well, not serious coin, but I've owned a few V8s before, a 302 XD sedan and that sounded nice, and my mate has a pretty crazy 351 XD ute that just sounds angry.
I've also owned a 5.0 EFI in a NC, that had an exhaust etc and yes, it had a V8 rumble but didn't sound quite the same to me. I can't really pick what it was that made it different, not saying they aren't any good, I have literally come to blows (well he wanted to hit me) over the Carbs Vs EFI argument, (yes a well tuned carby car can be just as responsive as EFI) and both have their own pedestal. I just reckon a carby has a differnent sound.
I guess I'm a little more Ol Schkol with V8s.
(I was mostly referring to noise)
(que the flames..... LOL..)

There is the answer. A 5.0 NC with just an exhaust on it. They sound constipated because they are. My NF did. Now it has GT40P's with more comp , the Edelbrock Manifold and a decent throttle body etc so it can breath with a good exhaust and high flow cats it just sounds angry. My exhaust sounded totally different until I done the engine work. I initally was dissapointed with my exhaust , now it gives me wood since the work is done.
I used to hate EFI but when you can have an angry car that hauls a reasonable amount of a*** that will deliver 10.2L to the 100 on the freeway and in mid 13's running around town when you are not up it for the rent , well EFI starts to look very appealing.........

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ROYLTY wrote:
...i will be inheriting a 1991 NC FAIRLANE V8 with all the running gear! It's a complete car. Everything still in OK working order...

ROYLTY wrote:
...This is why I'm asking about the wiring looms, bcoz my NC chassis is pretty good...

ROYLTY wrote:
...Plus, always wanted a V8 :D :D :D

Well if you have the bits then you are already in a good position compared to other people who have asked after 6cyl to 8cyl conversions. I had Adrian to help me swap engines in my car a few years ago and just that work alone took some time and effort and a bucketload of cursing to complete satisfactorily, but, it kept money in my pocket. Besides, more money for you if you modify your V8.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

I have read that the key to them is in the heads, it was just too lazy down low, nice in "power" at 60 then boot it, but the 302 with a 350 holley on it felt pokier.

With enough buntas anything is possible, and yes, with all that added EFI dose look good. Although a carby can still do that (10/100 freeway 13/100 town)
A mate took me for a belt in his AU3 XR8, manual, worked..to put it simply. It still didn't have the crackle but it sounded horny as a Balinese hooker, an went like a Zirtec.

Well just say your a tits man, and I'm a legs man. Lol, same thing different part.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD Fairmont Ghia 351

NSW, Australia

I guess it all comes douwn to your hip pocket & what you can scrounge.
I run a 351 windsor with a carby.
The carby windsor sounds trick idling next to evil98's fairlane, but the lanes got a real crisp note when you up it, where the 351 cackles & cracks. What do ou prefere old or new school???
But hey if you can lay your hands on 6cyl go fast bits for the right price, well there is nothing wrong with that either.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Yep.

I'm carby for the V8 and I prefer EFI 6.

Also in the garage....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next