Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Need a new MAF sensor..
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FG XR6

NSW, Australia

Hello,
I have a 99 Au xr8 and I need a new MAf, and am wondering if the american MAF for the 1993 mustang would fit our housing or would the american housing bolt straight onto our airbox?

any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Gav

btw ford quoted me $1270 for a new one F**k

FG XR6 6 speed auto in Ego, With XR badging replacing the Ford badges, both exterior and steering wheel.
Planned mods.
Herrod FG Airbox
Custom Front grill.
modded and painted rear bar insert.

Post subject: Re: Need a new MAF sensor..
Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I reckon you're better off at a wrecker. Ford Pro will have one for sure. Or try your luck and pick and payless.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

TheGav wrote:
Hello,
I have a 99 Au xr8 and I need a new MAf, and am wondering if the american MAF for the 1993 mustang would fit our housing or would the american housing bolt straight onto our airbox?

Cheers
Gav

93 mustang is the same sensor as E series Falcons. So no, it won't work.

I may have an AU sensor up for grabs soon as i have sold the housing, if you are interested, PM me.

I'm not sure what year Mustang sensor would fit the AU's, if at all.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

ashcook wrote:
I think 95/96 Mustangs are the same as AU? I could be wrong but I think that was the era.

They also went to a different maf setup, the maf was incorporated into the airbox unlike the separate unit the AU's have. And they also had the 4.6 engine, don't know if that would affect the maf type used?

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:19 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

They are the same part, i called ford for the part no. and i did a search on US site the part no is F57Z 12B 579,this is the same as the mustang and other US brands.

FG XR6 6 speed auto in Ego, With XR badging replacing the Ford badges, both exterior and steering wheel.
Planned mods.
Herrod FG Airbox
Custom Front grill.

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

XFWAGON wrote:
TheGav wrote:
Hello,

Cheers
Gav

93 mustang is the same sensor as E series Falcons. So no, it won't work.

I may have an AU sensor up for grabs soon as i have sold the housing, if you are interested, PM me.

I'm not sure what year Mustang sensor would fit the AU's, if at all.

The 88-93 Mustang MAF is different to the E-series Falcons both in housing design and electronics. While the E-series plug will fit, using either part (or both parts) on an E-series will cause problems as the MAF voltage output v's airflow is different. So then the ecu will not calculate the correct amount of fuel to inject.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If that is the case, then get a matching set. Injectors and MAF. Summit often sell them the MAF calibrated to the flow of the injectors. I sold my C+L 73mm to another member on here, it was calibrated to 24lbs, he had a set of 24's and that car runs 13.6.

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I get my MAF, injectors etc from www.corral.net sale forum...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

thanks for the quick responses, i feel like a douche for not trying this first but i bought a can of electrical part cleaner and BAM the Maf is working fine..

thanks everyone

Planned mods.
Herrod FG Airbox
Custom Front grill.

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:48 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Actually the '95-'96 MAF is the same as E-series ie; Oval 4 pin connector.
I have an 80mm '96 Cobra MAF here and it is basically the same housing as the Falcon where it has a 4 bolt flange for the airbox...bigger bolt pattern though.

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

The oval 4-pin plug is carried by many different MAF's through to around 1997, but this alone does not identify a suitable match. The Voltage output v's airflow is often quite different. Meaning that if you want to use a mis-matched MAF, you have to first find the correct MAF transfer data for the housing and sensor pair and then burn a custom chip with this before the MAF and ecu will operate together correctly. I have run up many different MAF's (including an 80mm with the bigger flange bolt pattern) on my engine test bed and logged the voltage output v's rpm. While this isn't 100% accurate, it is very close, and serves well to sort out anything that is a near match.

It is much simpler and generally cheaper in the long run to just purchase the correct replacement sensor to match your housing in the first place. Last time I checked they were around US$100 plus postage.

However it sounds like a lack of cleaning was the issue with the original poster. But if not, the next option should be the replacement of the electronics with one of the exact same part number or a verified suitable alternative. Most vendors have cross reference charts that match OEM numbers back to their aftermarket replacement sensor part numbers.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:31 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Here's some MAF xfer functions. I supplied the the Hitachi one in the group which is the 80mm '96 Cobra MAF I was talking about. This shows how different the functions are and how critical they are to load calcs.

Attachments:
MAF Txfr Function Tables.xls [63 KiB]
Downloaded 333 times

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:21 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Btw the A9L ones listed are your typical stock 55mm HO MAF as used on '86-'93 Mustangs and EB-EL Fords.
The '93 Cobra MAF is the same as Sprint/GT 70mm(minus airbox flange) and basically the same as AU 70mm.

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Great data Pete

This is also what I have done, but I have found that the MAF transfer function data is very dependant on the source of the information, and using MAF transfer data stripped from binary ecu files can introduce an unexpected error. For example the MAF transfer function in the 4DED v's 1DGA is 5.63 ± 0.01% leaner across the entire voltage range 0.5 - 5.0V (ie a [very] constant bias factor), yet they use the exact same MAF housing and sensor. Obviously this can not happen in reality, the same MAF will give the same voltage output v's airflow. So the programmer has deliberately introducted a bias, but which one do you use for comparison purposes? Was something else in the 4DED binary changed to partially (or fully) dilute the bias? Catch 22

Overlaying both these these curves over an A9L MAF transfer curve shows that using an A9L sensor and housing in a 94-95 EF with a 4DED ecu, could potentially cause a 9.5% leaner condition at WOT where there is no closed loop AFR correction. Not quite so bad on a 1DGA EB falcon, only 4.5% leaner. However in the less important closed loop portion of the curves the 1DGA peaks out at 14% richer, the 4DED only 8% richer. So the A9L curve is a different shape to 1DGA & 4DED.

Here are the curve formulas from my excel worksheet

1DGA=(4.751*POWER(G26,3))+(8.866*POWER(G26,2))+(18.65*G26)-0.499
4DED=(4.489*POWER(G27,3))+(8.451*POWER(G27,2))+(17.55*G27)-0.411
A9L=(4.23*POWER(G28,3))+(18.03*POWER(G28,2))-(8.021*G28)+13.63

In all cases, the correlation coefficient for the curve fitting the raw data points was 1 (no discrepancy between actual and calculated results).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next