Fordmods Logo

new member - auII xr8 ute questions. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: new member - auII xr8 ute questions.
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: auII xr8 ute

SA, Australia

Hey guys!

my name is steele and im new to the whole forum thing but needs some questions answered so thought i'd give it a go.

i have recently bought an auII xr8 manual ute, the mods to it so far are - heavy duty clutch, pacemaker extractors, hi-flow cats, 3" stainless steel system, and a capa flash tuner.

im thinking of installing a cam that would suit the flash tuner but it already has a very lump idle, just wondering if thats from the tune that is set? also, as a rough estimate would anyone know what kind of rwkw's it would be putting out? the guy who sold it to me said it got 210 but that sounds pretty crazy for a 5 litre with not much work!

anyway i got a huge tax return so gonna do a few things to get it up and going, any help appreciated!

Post subject: Re: new member - auII xr8 ute questions.
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

xr8steele wrote:
the guy who sold it to me said it got 210 but that sounds pretty crazy for a 5 litre with not much work!

He was probably implying maybe 210fwkw and not rwkw.
As such I'd be guessing your ute ( due to it being manual ) may be putting out anything from 130rwkw ~ 150rwkw.
Also if I may suggest, you might find a custom dyno tune will free up more hp.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Yeah that sounds more like it, it has the lumpiest idle though and runs so rich and im pretty sure it doesnt have a cam but not 100%. could you reccomend a cam for me thats is suitable for everyday use? I keep up with gen3 vx's and etc so it may even have one!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I'll offer my personal opinion which is the Trickflow TFS1 cam. Your ECU can cope with it and it has great area under the curve power. Can't remember what the roller rocker ratio is though.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ900R

VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:
I'll offer my personal opinion which is the Trickflow TFS1 cam. Your ECU can cope with it and it has great area under the curve power. Can't remember what the roller rocker ratio is though.

+1 for the TFS1 cam, probably the best off the shelf cam for mild builds

They are suited for 1.6 RR but can be used with 1.7 RR, however your lift will be increased and you will have to check for PTVC etc

I'f your going to that effort i'd nearly look at getting some decent heads too, the dollar is up so it's a good time to buy from the states. GT40's and GT40P's arn't a whole lot better then E7 (which suck)
I would reccomend Trickflow twisted wedge 170's (especially if your going with the TFS1 cam) or AFR 165. Having said that if your going to much effort you may aswell look at getting an entire Trickflow top end kit which includes manifold, heads, cam, 1.6 RR, valve springs (which you will need for cam swap anyway), timing chain, gaskets, etc etc

At the end of the day it comes down to how much you want to spend, more cash = more power

Also don't choose a cam to suit the tune, the tune should always suit the cam. So make sure you do some research into cams. I'd go with the TFS1 but many folk get good results from the FMS, Crow, and Crane cams also

The Past: EF Fairmont, EL Fairmont 5.0, HR Special, NF Fairlane 5.0, GSX 250-F, BA II XR8, VS3 Ute, VS2 L67 Calais

The Present: FG Egas Ute, ED XR8 Sprint, GPZ 900R

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Had another thought about a cam for your manual ute and I might also suggest the Crow #621354 grind. It is made to suit the existing GT40P heads and would suit your manual trans. If your money stretched as far as a cam and a dyno tune then you'll be very happy.

http://www.crowcams.com.au/media/catalogues/23.1%20FORD%20W%20EFI.pdf

But overall, best to speak to a performance engine builder who has done plenty of roller 5L's and he'll be better able to explain the pro's and con's of the various cams available.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Thank heaps guys! Ill be looking into both cams and let you know how i go, would anyone know roughly the rwkw's it would have with a cam and tune to suit?

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Probably not gonna look into heads etc at the moment but definitely will further down the track! Just cam and diff gears atm.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]