New to v8's....Help! 

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: New to v8's....Help!
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

This is how i timed my old holden panel van's v8 when i had trouble after re-assembly.

Take rocker cover off that is ontop of cyl one. Pull the spark plugs. Then you can rotate the engine over by hand, watch for the intake valve to open then shut. Stick a screw driver in cyl 1 & feel as it comes up to TDC. Check the balancer to see if TDC is sitting where it should. Then you should be able to back it off to 30deg, and then check the dizzy.

If the dizzy isn't pointing at #1, pull it out, rotate it & slip it back in till it's pointing @ #1.

I've had trouble with fuel pump wiring, the pump wasn't getting full power & wasn't flowing full flow, causing power loss at higher revs & poor running.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Thanks torana guy, I'll remember that. I'll tell the bloke to just pull the dizzy and start again. Surely he should be able to sort it out.

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Broken MAF/AFM. Looks like a backfire has smashed one of the wires off. Should be fixed next week, couldn't get one on a Saturday. :(

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Broken MAF/AFM. Looks like a backfire has smashed one of the wires off. Should be fixed next week, couldn't get one on a Saturday. :(

Damn, that sucks big time. Should install one of the anti backfire pop valves before the afm, in the plastic intake rubber, then the AFM might be saved from a similar fate again....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Mo need, it's no longer on gas :D

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Mo need, it's no longer on gas :D

You ripped the gas gear off? Fair enough.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The converter and mixer ring so far. Still need to pull the tank, the lines, and the wiring. Its amazing the difference it made already. I unplugged the MAF/AFM/WTF, drove it up the road and back and it felt like it had 50% more power, no joke.

Its not really for me. A conversion to Injected dedicated gas would be the only way I'd like to do it, not the old mixer system, but I'm not too fussed. If I want something cheap to run I'll buy an Excel, not a 1700kg barge. :P

How does yours compare to petrol? Being the injected set up. I suppose with a bit of time tuning, you could get more power than stock? Isn't LPG much higher Octane?

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The injected setup on the Eb Ghia I6 gives me only 2kw less at the wheels than petrol, with stock ignition timing. Much smoother running and better fuel economy than a mixer setup. It's nice, and I'd love to go injected gas on my Xr8 too, but it would cost too much to get small gains over the Impco 425 setup it currently has, which is pretty good.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Thats not bad!

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Thats not bad!

It's not bad at all. On cruise, out on the open road @110 in 5th gear, i usually average 9 to 10/100 depending on terrain. Around town I have a heavy boot and usually get 15/100 economy out of it with the climate control on auto all the time. That's gas figures, petrol figures not much better!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3