NFghia's supercharged 347 project 

Page 2 of 14 [ 205 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: NF Fairlane V8

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Is there any reason apart from the extra 17cubes that you went for the 347cui over the 330cui stroker???

the 347s have some big drawbacks, like the poor stroke/rod ratio.
and the piston pin sitting high up in the oil ring..

with a 330 and the blower you'd still easy make the power you wanted.

Basically I got the 347 kit cause it was offered to me for $1200 so that sorted that out. :lol:

And your setups looking pretty good there XR9UTE.

I'm thinking thats where mines gonna end up, the plus for me fitting it under the bonnet is the injection system is getting ripped out and it'll be going on straight LPG. So with a dizzy setup like yours and if I get a low profile carby inlet I think I can shoehorn it under.
I guess last resort is to totally frabricate a new manifold. :roll:

The TORQUE Monster project begins!

Pic's, details and all the yummy stuff:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NFGhia wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
Is there any reason apart from the extra 17cubes that you went for the 347cui over the 330cui stroker???

the 347s have some big drawbacks, like the poor stroke/rod ratio.
and the piston pin sitting high up in the oil ring..

with a 330 and the blower you'd still easy make the power you wanted.

Basically I got the 347 kit cause it was offered to me for $1200 so that sorted that out. :lol:

And your setups looking pretty good there XR9UTE.

I'm thinking thats where mines gonna end up, the plus for me fitting it under the bonnet is the injection system is getting ripped out and it'll be going on straight LPG. So with a dizzy setup like yours and if I get a low profile carby inlet I think I can shoehorn it under.
I guess last resort is to totally frabricate a new manifold. :roll:

dude thats good enough for me

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII Ghia 5Ltr

VIC, Australia

Out of interest XR9ute... has the motor in your pic been on fire??? Some interesting discolouration around the rocker covers... Everything else seems so nice and shiney new!!

Have YOU driven a monster truck lately??

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:36 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Nope, no fire....it's just the way it was when I bought it....
The rest of it is not shiny and new either(except the timing cover/water pump which came off a brand new AU 5.0 Crate engine)
That pic was when I just dummied up the whole deal in the bay.
It looks more like this now with the exception of the MAF and inlet tube and that poxy coil bracket.

Pete.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Looks good Pete... I see you'v sorted the radiator hoses the way V8's should be....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:07 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Thanks EBXR...
Oh yeah...I used an early Cleveland(Vertical t-stat housingt) top hose and an XE type cleveland bottom hose.

Pete.

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

f**k yeah! Topic is being watched with much interest!

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Well I got my valentines prezzie today. (Or at least my blue oval babe did. :lol: )

SUPERCHARGER!! The FORD logo on the front should look good sitting on the Windsor.. 8-)

So the dizzy goes. :twisted:
I still have to supply the stock ECU with a PIP so everything else still works in the car so I've been looking around at ignition systems and I think ford's EDIS8 is the go.

Which means I have to find a really cheap dizzy to machine down unless anyone here has an old points one lying around :D :D :D

On the other side of things, it's gr8 to make more mumbo and get the thing moving quicker and I'm not too fussed if one day I jump on the loud peddle and I don't go anywhere.. :x

But the last thing I want, is to jump on the brake and have nothing there. :shock: :shock:

So I'm not going cheap on the brakes.
As you can see 330mm rotors with 4spot apracing calipers. (Sexy!!)

All I can say there (as I wipe my keyboard dry) is, Drool people drool!! :lol: :lol:
The price hurts, but I know it'll hurt a lot more if I run out of brakes...

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:43 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Supoib brakes!
That Lightning blower looks to have an even larger flange than the Cobra one. That pulley don't look stock either?
I might have a cheap 5.0 dizzy you can chop up but, you could make a divider circuit(36/9=4) from your crank encoder pulse to give you the PIP signal. That way you can throw an AU cam sensor straight in.
I also have a coupla EDIS-8 modules but I'm keeping them for my ute at this stage. If I get some AU EECV TwEECer stuff happening sooner rather than later they will become redundant so I'll keep you posted if you haven't picked one up by then...
Happy manifolding!

Pete.

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

In relation to the throttle input, i know that yella terra do mods to superchargers, there is a guy here in Sydney who is in the process of an eaton blown and injected Chrysler 360 using delco injection of a VN commodore. He pointed me in the direction of Yella Terra for mods to a blower, as i was considering an old weiand low blow kit originally setup for a single 4barrel carb. Perhaps you could source one of the low blow intake manifolds. Although they are getting rare. Race Bits at Brookvale still do them.(02 96845000). Just an option
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Thanx for the input guys. :D

And your right there Pete :lol: , the pulley is a 14psi one. I got the 7psi with it as well, so now its a bit of a case of "how low can I go" with the comp ratio???
I found a link from the MS web to a place that sells complete EDIS setups, should be able to get that for around $200 so that should be sorted.
But I might still be interested in the dizzy, I'll pm ya if something dosen't turn up locally in the next coupla weeks.. :)

As for the inlets, I was looking around at various pre-fab units but seeing as I'm going straight gas and by the looks of things I think a GRA setup, which means twin dual TB's then both inlets will have to be custom to fit under the hood. :roll:
But at least I've got the S/C now so I can sit it on the spare donk and start taking some measurements and whip up some drawings, might even see if I can get a water-cooled intercooler in there somewhere. :lol:

And after doing a bit of looking around at the many and varied head assortment out there I'm reasonably 90% set on a pair of AFR 185's, they seem to be a nice balance for what I'm looking for but any thoughts from you guys are welcomed. :wink:

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I've got a set of AFR185's for my 347 build. Definantly the way to go. It'll be a torque monster!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Well I thought I'd make a bit of an update:

The wonderful thing about the old windsor is the amount of aftermarket bits you can get to tweak it up, but that also makes it a pain in the butt to organise parts that are all going to bolt together.. :evil:

Now I've re-built a few motors in my time but haven't gone to the extent of mods that I'm undertaking here.

After looking around the net at the different heads, lifters, rockers, balancers, etc I figured some serious research was needed so I don't go buying s**t that won't fit together.

The first thing I realised after checking over the scat web was that the stroker wants a 28oz balancer and flex, so it was lucky I didn't bid on the romac 50oz on eBay. :oops:

Then of course with the AFR185's there's the choice of chamber size, stud or pedestal rockers, so anyway after much head scratching and reading I decided on the AFR185's(1420) with 61cc chamber and 3/8 rocker studs.

The search was then on for someone who had them and would ship to Aus.
After hunting around I found a few and took down some part numbers cause I wasn't going to order directly off the web as the heads are a pre-order item and to make sure the valve train bit were the right ones.

Well the first place I rang the guy sounded like he was stoned senseless. :lol: The second one was just a number taker and didn't even sound like he wanted my business.
But the third place a joint called TREperformance, when I asked about the heads the guy there (with a real 'Good old boy' yankee accent) he straight away knew it was the large chamber head and asked me if I was blowing it :lol: So I knew this was the guy to get the bits from.

All up I got the 185's and after talking about what I wanted out of the engine and getting some prices on different brand bits I went with CAT parts http://www.catpep.com for the 1.6 alloy roller rockers, hyd roller lifters, balancer and HD flex plate.

And for those that will ask, for all the bits and shipping after $ conversion it came to $3220AU.

On another note, I fitted up the brakes and seeing as the spindles had to changed over I thought I'd put nice new bushes through the front end at the same time.
What a FANTASTIC difference these brakes make, truely Supoib!!!
I never liked the feeling (let alone the lack of any extended braking ability) of the stock brakes, but now..... well it's like chalk and cheese.!!

ImageImage

And I couldn't help myself while looking around I had to get a few Bling items for the motor (has to be a little presentable when I pop the hood. :D )

I just love the bolt set with the little Ford logo's on all the heads. :lol:

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon V8

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

need to change my pants now.... :evil: Brakes look real tuff, where did you get the bolts from if I may ask?.

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

I got 'em with a few other bits from JEG's.. http://www.jegs.com

Could do some serious damage to the CC on that site. :roll:

Sort by