Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: NL V8 missing/running rough at idle & under load
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: NL Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Evening guys,

I drove into the city this morning, pulled up to drop my partner off and as I wasleaving to come home, all of a sudden the engine started running slightly rough, like it was missing or something. I was able to get the Fairlane home. Arriving home, it was considerbly worse.

I ran a ECU code check which returned a 111, a conducted a KOER test which also passed. And then a V8 Balance test which passed too...
The first thing I thought was ok, it's some part of the ignition. While the engine was running, I could hear the missing worse at the tail pipe and also by gently reving the engine showed it was getting worse and I looked out for any arching from the leads etc.

Here, I turned the engine off. I pulled the dizzy cap off and found the rotor button was quite heavily burnt and scared, and the button underneath the top of the cap was too. I've cleaned these up, but I thought possibly the ignition coil is no good... I've attached some photos to show you what the coil looks like... both sides of it have a white residue... which to me makes me think it's been arching out for a while...

Thoughts? Before I lash out $75 for a new one!

Attachments:
IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG [ 233.94 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]
IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG [ 280.84 KiB | Viewed 221 times ]

'98 NL Fairlane Ghia 5.0l

Post subject: Re: NL V8 missing/running rough at idle & under load
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Just a thought but if you believe it may be missing, perhaps get someone to sit in the car, select drive and press the accelerator lightly ( foot on the brake of course! ) to get the RPM up - maybe about 1,200 RPM, to provide load and then pull a lead off the dizzy one at a time to spot which cylinder may not be firing. Mind you, take care not to zap yourself pulling a lead off the dizzy. :wink:

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
Just a thought but if you believe it may be missing, perhaps get someone to sit in the car, select drive and press the accelerator lightly ( foot on the brake of course! ) to get the RPM up - maybe about 1,200 RPM, to provide load and then pull a lead off the dizzy one at a time to spot which cylinder may not be firing. Mind you, take care not to zap yourself pulling a lead off the dizzy. :wink:

It was the 4th cylinder ignition lead. Was resting against the exhaust manifold and the silicon coating has cracked/melted away... :roll:

So for the meantime, I have covered it with electrical tape. Started her up and now fine! Been down to Repco & Supercheap. Can't buy single leads but have to buy them as a set (the boot/spark plug end is right angled)...

What's the best brand? Bosch, Eagle, Top Gun, Champion... so many... ?

Do you think the ignition coil is of concern still? Since all the white residue?

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Best way to check to see what is rooted in the ignition system is to wait until night , park the car somewhere completley in blackness and lift the bonnet with the car running.
Stuff that is leaking voltage will be giving you a nice light show all over the place. You wont be able to miss it.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Eagle leads are good, otherwise get ICE ones if you want to spend a bit more. Bosch should be good, Champion is now called Fuel Miser and should be good too. I'd get the thicker (10mm?) Eagle ones, well priced and should last ages.

Top Gun is overpriced s**t. Absolutely terrible, I had a new one fall apart in my hand when I pulled it off a plug. Not cheap either. Stay well away!

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

its 1 thing i dont understand about fords all the commies have heat shielding on the leads but the falcon has it on the manifold but when you put extractors on or you have a 5ltr there is no protection for the leads,

Can you get leads that suit EF/EL that have heat shielding?

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

wtbdlltd wrote:
its 1 thing i dont understand about fords all the commies have heat shielding on the leads but the falcon has it on the manifold but when you put extractors on or you have a 5ltr there is no protection for the leads,

Can you get leads that suit EF/EL that have heat shielding?

I hear ya... And thought of that this morning... Had a look around the usual places like eBay etc.. and nothing!

Lets see who else respond's :)

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Eagle leads are good, otherwise get ICE ones if you want to spend a bit more. Bosch should be good, Champion is now called Fuel Miser and should be good too. I'd get the thicker (10mm?) Eagle ones, well priced and should last ages.

Top Gun is overpriced s**t. Absolutely terrible, I had a new one fall apart in my hand when I pulled it off a plug. Not cheap either. Stay well away!

Looking at Eagle from www.netspares.com.au. Ignition leads E9838 for $68 plus 13.90 postage. Thoughts?

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Sounds good if thats the thicker ones. I think they do three thicknesses, standard, street/strip, motorsport. I got the middle ones (10m/11mm) for around $60 I think at mates rates. They were blue, grey boots on the ends IIRC. Nice quality.

Put some heat socks around the ends of the leads if you are worried about the heat. Wouldn't hurt. They look sick too :P

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Nice car BTW, I looked at the pics in your gallery. :D

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Nice car BTW, I looked at the pics in your gallery. :D

Thanks man. The Lane is pretty stock though. Don't mind it this way.
Those heat socket/shields things.. Yeah I am worried it'll happen again... Where would I get a set from? I've looked everywhere :!:

Actually found a set of Eagle leads at www.performancecarpartsonline.com.au for $58 plus postage. These are 9mm and the High Performance ones apparently...

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

summit racing---FMS-M-12259-M301-9mm leads-us$ 43,arriving in a few days with other goodies.takes a week to the door.while your at it-MSD-8227-buy 2 as they break down,a few members can reply to that one.i just had a 6 month old stock one dreak down on idle,with all kinds of misses,but ok over 1200rpm.replaced it with the msd unit-purrrrfect.chased leads for a week--coil,sucks.MSD-8227---us$47 i paid 80 bucks for the stock one.keep a spare in the boot.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]