Fordmods Logo

No snorkel question..... 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: No snorkel question.....
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

i had some EL termos put on my EB and i had to take the snorkel off as it hits the power steering pulley now coz it sits a touch to far back now, but i was thinking, coz i have the termo fans right next to the little intake hole to the airbox do you think i could leave it like that and be fine coz air will be coming in passing the termos and into the airbox, and when the termos are on it'll sorta be forced in there by the termos (sorta), think i should leave it like take or spend a few $$$ to take the airbox out drill a big hole where the airbox used to be and put a big pipe from the TB to the hole and then connect a podfilter in the wheel arch then lead a few pipes coming up to the pod filter ( i will also have to make a cover in the wheel arch so the wheel don't flick up any water onto it, plus keeps a little more dirt out too), (i know it has been done to a few Race cars but most of them were Supercharged or Turbo'd, and that worked well), but also in doing that i will lose a little bit of off the line speed but it'll be better overall, what do you guys think?.

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Sucking engine bay air is unacceptable unless you are then compressing the air and running it through an intercooler.

Go the cold air intake or get a snorkel and melt a recession into the back of it to provide clearance from power steering pulley.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

I don't think the thermos will ahve much effect on 'forcing' cold air in.

Do whatever you can to get some cold air from outside the engine bay.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Is it the stock snorkle or the AU one.. Do as master Futura says and melt the bugger. The air thermos provide is still quite warm.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well it does force it in a bit(these termos run faster then normal), and i've put my hand near the airbox hole to see if it does blow air into it, and it does, but i would go for the pod filter in the wheel arch but is it worth it for a few extra KW?.

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

to think about it, i might as well go for the pod filter in wheel arch, im just worryed about the p plater and V8 thing that they have on vic, the coppers wouldn't like it stock let alone a 150 RWKW car, so stuff it, i might aswell keep going i say....., i'll have to sell it one day, lol

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You can try it, but you're better off having the snorkle there. If you want a pod it has to be enclosed for it to be legal...

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Storm wrote:
im just worryed about the p plater and V8 thing that they have on vic, the coppers wouldn't like it stock let alone a 150 RWKW car

Hehe, and I'll be ~200rwkw in a few months... :twisted: Just don't make it so obvious by having it so loud and don't do crazy s**t. :lol:

Keep it legal. 8)

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Storm wrote:
to think about it, i might as well go for the pod filter in wheel arch, im just worryed about the p plater and V8 thing that they have on vic, the coppers wouldn't like it stock let alone a 150 RWKW car, so stuff it, i might aswell keep going i say....., i'll have to sell it one day, lol

This is what im running, wish i had a pic. Obviously i have something sitting where my airbox should sit. So pod filter lives in the front bar, forward of ABS/carbon cannister - kind of "under" the passenger side headlight. Plenty of air, good protection from dirt etc. (EF has a nice plastic inner arch guard).

But yeah - if your concerned about authorities just mod a stock snorkel to suit.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Storm wrote:

This is what im running, wish i had a pic. Obviously i have something sitting where my airbox should sit. So pod filter lives in the front bar, forward of ABS/carbon cannister - kind of "under" the passenger side headlight. Plenty of air, good protection from dirt etc. (EF has a nice plastic inner arch guard).

But yeah - if your concerned about authorities just mod a stock snorkel to suit.

but im already over anyway, so i'll just do it see what happens, and if the cops get me i'll go buy want i've wanted for maybe 10 years now :D , not allowed to say what it is on here as it is a ford site, lol

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Fairmont 5.0

SA, Australia

I think you're bieng very paranoid if you think the police will defect you for using a non-standard snorkel on your car.

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

no, he's worried about the pod, not the snorkel.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im not worryed about the pod or the snorkel im worryed about the end result in power coz my cars at 150 RWKW thats all, but it's fine don't worry about it.

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

if it gets cold air, it will give u a beter result, cold air is denser remember.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i was just asking to you think it would be worth the money just for a few extra KW's, coz i already have a BMC air filter in the airbox, i know that cold air is always better but was just asking if it was worth it, but anyway im going to hallem performance tomorrow to get a list of parts for it all, then i'll do the pod filter. :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next