Fordmods Logo

Oil changes. Always do it yourself. 

 

Page 4 of 7 [ 105 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
you talk about me having some kind of mindset of thinking i've done this so much i don't have ti think about it.

your still reading the post wrong.

of coares you think about it while your doing it. go back and read the f**k post again. and you will find that i said "i'm sure i've missed some things here but i do it so much i dont realy have to think about it"

now if you read it the way it was intended you find that i was trying to get across the point that there may be some things missing from the list because sitting here after work trying to wind down i might not have remembered everything. and that when you are at work actualy doing it you dont have to think about what needs to be done. because you are at work in the right mindset for doing it.
and no i dont need more customers like you to get me out of some kind of f**k mind set. my work is on show at all of the local car shows. and if it was substanded work we wouldn't get to manny people comming back. but they all come to get more work done.

Don't sit there and judge me untill you have met me and have seen my work.


Well then maybe you should leave your Work at work then. If like you say you are confident that you are a good Mechanic at work and have many satisfied Customers etc you should never have to worry about, this that and the other when you are sitting here after work trying to wind down etc. So like I always say though,
"If the shoe fits wear it."
:D



listen to your self. think about what you are typing. you've been shown your mistake so you come up with some dribble about about not worrying about this that and the other WHAT EVERY THE HELL they are, your just typing random irralivent crap to make your self seem right.

so yeah i'm a good mechanic and for some reason you think that means i should post in this thread. Well oh great one i must apoligise to you for sticking up for my trade. you abviously are not a mechanic and obviuosly have no idea whats it like when you read stuff like this.

too many people think we are only out to rip people off. they think we charge to much money for what we do.
you should try it one day, see what it's like to have to work with so many harmful sustances. used engine oil can ause cancer, asbestos in brake pads. (yes i know it has been fased out but how many cars do you think still have them fitted) brake fluid, deisel feul, exhaust fumes, the list goes on. every day we have to work with this s**t knowing what it can do. the constant back problems %90 of us have.

and what do we get every week for it $550. try living on that. it's almost imposible.

and then to come home and read crap like this, it f**k pathetic. the comment alot you all have made are just plain f**k stupid.

one person says oh they mustn't let the oil drain for long enough that why there was only 4L put in. that has to be one of the stupidest thing i've ever heard. that person can't have ever changed oil befor how much oil do you think is still rushoing out of a sump drain when there is still 1L of oil in there. you burn the hell out of you hand to get the plug back in.



the first post in this thread is just as stupid.
he has a problem with one mechanic and sudenly he say
Quote:
Makes me wonder how competent most mechanics are. They dont drain all the old oil
so one puts 4L in and now most mechanics deemed to have limmited competence.

hmmmm work that one out.

Quote:
I hope they start the motor to allow the new oil to go through the new filter, before checking the levels.
Stranger things have happened at some service joints.
I couldn't let someone charge me a bunch of cash for doing something easier than s**t in bed.



what the f**k is that all about of coares the engine is started to fill the filter properly and the level re checked.

oh and by the way you oil and filter is not the only thing changed in a service. your ENTIRE car gets checked over you be suprised what we find.
things like lose K-frame bolts are not uncommen. tyres so bald you wonder how the car can even be driven in wet conditions. ball joints about to fall apart. in one case i've found a lower control arm on a 626 held on with fencing wire.hhhhm i wonder who did that yeah thats right the owner of the car. needless to say we didn't let the car be driven out of our shop.
it left on a truck.

and then people complain about the price. is $120 for a full serice to much.
$40 for oil 15 for a filter brake fluid top up and hours laybour
seems cheap enough to me.


and to think all of this is over 1L of oil. ever seen a sump with a dent in it?? ever notice that not every car is exactly the same.


my EF take 5.25L with a filter. my mums EB only take 4.5 with a filter.

my dads AU take 5.5L with a filter.

big differences there and when these cars ohave the oil changed they drain for a min of 30mins.

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:16 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 41

Posts: 117

Joined: 16th Apr 2005

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia 5.0L

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Like I said, stranger things have happened at mechanics.
My brother drove off from an apparent reputable mechanic with wheel nuts loose on his fairmont!!!
I know there is a lot to check during a service, so if the oil level wasn't rechecked, well that could easily happen.
And having mechanical experience myself is why I couldn't let someone charge me a for doing a service.

 

_________________

ED Fairmont Ghia.
306ci, Pro-m 80 MAF & #42inj, Kirban AFPR, Walbro 255LPH intank & inline, BBK 70mm, Ported Edelbrock #60399, Ported Explorer, Crane 2031 & YT1.72, MSD 6AL, paciemaker tri-y, 2.5" cats into single 3". H/D stall. 3.45 lsd, Powerdyne XB1A.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:17 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

dodgie wrote:
Like I said, stranger things have happened at mechanics.
My brother drove off from an apparent reputable mechanic with wheel nuts loose on his fairmont!!!
I know there is a lot to check during a service, so if the oil level wasn't rechecked, well that could easily happen.
And having mechanical experience myself is why I couldn't let someone charge me a for doing a service.


and alot stranger things have happend out side of the work shop too.
all you have to do is read through these forums and you'll find all sort of bad practises and poor advice.
and most of come from the people who do there onw servicing and repair.
but unknown to them thay are doing more damage, simply because they THINK they know better

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: oil
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:24 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1938

Joined: 10th Nov 2004

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

Location: THE DRUITT
NSW, Australia

Well mechanics are alright most of the time but oil changes are easy as piss although I would recomend having more then 5 litres of oil on hand whilist doing an oil change.

 

_________________

MEMBER 1390

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:59 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 7287

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Somewhere in
QLD, Australia

seems different companies measure amounts differently too.....

5L of valvoline would fill my XF to dead on the full mark, but when i switched to fuchs, i had about 1/2L left over.....

 

_________________

Banned

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
you talk about me having some kind of mindset of thinking i've done this so much i don't have ti think about it.

your still reading the post wrong.

of coares you think about it while your doing it. go back and read the f**k post again. and you will find that i said "i'm sure i've missed some things here but i do it so much i dont realy have to think about it"

now if you read it the way it was intended you find that i was trying to get across the point that there may be some things missing from the list because sitting here after work trying to wind down i might not have remembered everything. and that when you are at work actualy doing it you dont have to think about what needs to be done. because you are at work in the right mindset for doing it.
and no i dont need more customers like you to get me out of some kind of f**k mind set. my work is on show at all of the local car shows. and if it was substanded work we wouldn't get to manny people comming back. but they all come to get more work done.

Don't sit there and judge me untill you have met me and have seen my work.


Well then maybe you should leave your Work at work then. If like you say you are confident that you are a good Mechanic at work and have many satisfied Customers etc you should never have to worry about, this that and the other when you are sitting here after work trying to wind down etc. So like I always say though,
"If the shoe fits wear it."
:D



listen to your self. think about what you are typing. you've been shown your mistake so you come up with some dribble about about not worrying about this that and the other WHAT EVERY THE HELL they are, your just typing random irralivent crap to make your self seem right.

so yeah i'm a good mechanic and for some reason you think that means i should post in this thread. Well oh great one i must apoligise to you for sticking up for my trade. you abviously are not a mechanic and obviuosly have no idea whats it like when you read stuff like this.

too


WELL you didn't properly read my last post did ya now! I said if the "SHOE FITS WEAR IT!" Originaly all that I was trying to say to you was that you cant take things at face value in life as you always have to,
"expect the unexpected."with what ever job or situation your in. Sure their are situations which are deemed beyond our control. But thats life you live and learn. SO now you have gotten all defensive about this. Because if this didn't worry you or you couldn't give a toss about my comments and if indeed you are a good mechanic your actions would speak louder than words and you wouldn't have to keep posting rebuttals justifying yourself now would ya! Now wheres that other," Shoe "for you to try on :lol: :lol: :lol:

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6913

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

I changed the oil on my new EL XR8 yesterday.
Strange thing happened. I checked the oil level before I drained it, dead on the full mark. I then started the car to get it to operating temp and dropped the oil. Changed the oil filter.
When I refilled it I used 5 1/2 litres to get it to the full mark. When I poured the old oil into the empty oil container I only got 4 litres. Now I know some would be in the oil filter but it doesnt fit 1 1/2 litres in it.

 

_________________

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

WTF? I usually get the opposite more emptied old oil comes out than what New Oil I need to put back in.

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

1 SLY 97EL wrote:

WELL you didn't properly read my last post did ya now! I said if the "SHOE FITS WEAR IT!" Originaly all that I was trying to say to you was that you cant take things at face value in life as you always have to,
"expect the unexpected."with what ever job or situation your in. Sure their are situations which are deemed beyond our control. But thats life you live and learn. SO now you have gotten all defensive about this. Because if this didn't worry you or you couldn't give a toss about my comments and if indeed you are a good mechanic your actions would speak louder than words and you wouldn't have to keep posting rebuttals justifying yourself now would ya! Now wheres that other," Shoe "for you to try on :lol: :lol: :lol:


it doesn't worry me at all i know i'll never have any problems with my work because it is up to standard. but thats not to say i dont care about your comments.
and of corse i'm getting defensive have you not noticed what being said though out this thread. it is entirly here for saying how bad mechanics are.
I am a mechanic . go put 2 and 2 together and work it out.

There is nothing unexpected about fixing cars. the parts what ever ones they may be are either going to be serviceable or un-servicable.
so you fix or there is no need too. there is nothing hard about it. you just need to know what you are looking at.

by the way you'll get sick of this befor i do. i've been like this in all previous threads to this nature and i'll be the same in all future ones too

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6913

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
and of corse i'm getting defensive have you not noticed what being said though out this thread. it is entirly here for saying how bad mechanics are.
I am a mechanic . go put 2 and 2 together and work it out.


That is not why I started this thread. I started it because the mechanics I take my car to were not doing their job up to my standards. I clarified it later because everyone thought I meant in general most mechanics when in fact I meant the ones I had been too.
And maybe through this thread more people would change their own oil and get more dirty oil out than mechanics would because of their time constraints and therefore their engines would last longer.

It is not here to bash mechanics.

 

_________________

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Timmeh wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
and of corse i'm getting defensive have you not noticed what being said though out this thread. it is entirly here for saying how bad mechanics are.
I am a mechanic . go put 2 and 2 together and work it out.


That is not why I started this thread. I started it because the mechanics I take my car to were not doing their job up to my standards. I clarified it later because everyone thought I meant in general most mechanics when in fact I meant the ones I had been too.
And maybe through this thread more people would change their own oil and get more dirty oil out than mechanics would because of their time constraints and therefore their engines would last longer.

It is not here to bash mechanics.


it might not have been you intention but go back and look through what was said. and you'll see thats what it turned in to.

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6913

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
it is entirly here for saying how bad mechanics are.


Well that sure sounded like your saying that was my intention. But if you say its not then fair enough.
I obviously am not speaking for everyone else.

 

_________________

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:

WELL you didn't properly read my last post did ya now! I said if the "SHOE FITS WEAR IT!" Originaly all that I was trying to say to you was that you cant take things at face value in life as you always have to,
"expect the unexpected."with what ever job or situation your in. Sure their are situations which are deemed beyond our control. But thats life you live and learn. SO now you have gotten all defensive about this. Because if this didn't worry you or you couldn't give a toss about my comments and if indeed you are a good mechanic your actions would speak louder than words and you wouldn't have to keep posting rebuttals justifying yourself now would ya! Now wheres that other," Shoe "for you to try on :lol: :lol: :lol:


it doesn't worry me at all i know i'll never have any problems with my work because it is up to standard. but thats not to say i dont care about your comments.
and of corse i'm getting defensive have you not noticed what being said though out this thread. it is entirly here for saying how bad mechanics are.
I am a mechanic . go put 2 and 2 together and work it out.

There is nothing unexpected about fixing cars. the parts what ever ones they may be are either going to be serviceable or un-servicable.
so you fix or there is no need too. there is nothing hard about it. you just need to know what you are looking at.

by the way you'll get sick of this befor i do. i've been like this in all previous threads to this nature and i'll be the same in all future ones too

NAHHHH.. MATE I never get sick of having a good debate!In fact I am like Pit bull on a bone when I get going. Anyway you can have fun with trying on those Shoes that you say dont fit ya but seem fit to like a glove at the moment. I guess its a bit of a d**k fight in the end aye. Like who's got the biggest and best one here. But in all honesty I am sorry if I am seemed to generalise here. I guess its like in all industries and professions their are going to be, " BAD APPLES " that give a bad name for everyone :D

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1380

Joined: 13th Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA GT

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

s**t, a simple oil change convo leads to ww3
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 4967

Joined: 22nd Nov 2004

Location: FAR FAR AWAY LAND
QLD, Australia

oils ain't oils

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 4 of 7  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:31 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names