Fordmods Logo

Oil changes. Always do it yourself. 

 

Page 6 of 7 [ 105 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6913

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

tickford_6 I'm just taking the piss dont take it personally.

I use mechanics for stuff that is a little more challenging than changing the oil. I had asked one mechanic why not all the oil was changed and he said as long as you get most of it out about 80-90% its good to go. Well I like looking after my engine a bit more than that and I can take all day if I want to change the oil where as the mechanic has to make a living.

I thought I would get on the net and tell everyone because hey this is a forum for that kind of stuff isnt it? I wouldnt try and defend every mechanic if I were you because A) its impossible unless you know them all and B) some of them are dodgy.

You obviously dont like having a bit of fun poked at you so I wont do it to you anymore.

Hope you have a nicer weekend than your having here.

Cheers

 

_________________

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Timmeh wrote:

I thought I would get on the net and tell everyone because hey this is a forum for that kind of stuff isnt it?

Cheers


would it not be more effective to do a thread called 'changing your oil and general servicing.'
and then go on to out line how to go about changing the oil and carrying out the maintinance and checks needed in general seriving????
seems a more helpful way to go about what you say you were trying to achive.





Timmeh wrote:
I wouldnt try and defend every mechanic if I were you because A) its impossible unless you know them all and B) some of them are dodgy.Cheers


i wasn't trying to defend every mechanic i was defending the good ones.

and as for B you've suddenly changed your mind and now there are only 'some' dodgy ones.
your first post was all about 'most' mechanics.
so witch is it SOME OR MOST.

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6913

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:

Timmeh wrote:
I wouldnt try and defend every mechanic if I were you because A) its impossible unless you know them all and B) some of them are dodgy.Cheers


i wasn't trying to defend every mechanic i was defending the good ones.

and as for B you've suddenly changed your mind and now there are only 'some' dodgy ones.
your first post was all about 'most' mechanics.
so witch is it SOME OR MOST.


Some of ALL MECHANICS and most of THE ONES I HAD BEEN TOO.
If you read my posts a bit more carefully you'll see someone had already picked me up on that and I clarified it by saying most of the ones I had been too. I really shouldnt have to spell it out for everyone.

If I had mostly been to good mechanics I wouldnt be writing this thread hey. Anyway I'm sorry I called the thread what it is and upsetting you about it. If your a good mechanic then take no notice of what people are saying about bad and dodgy mechanics and continue your fine work. There is no need to defend a good mechanic because they obviously do their job well and dont have any complaints, or listen to complaints they may get.

 

_________________

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Posts: 5

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Not !!

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Wow, this is a great thread. I personally haven't been on this site for ages and got one of those reminder emails, so I thought I would just have a quick look.

So, my ten cents worth (my two cents are free)..... I am a mechanic myself. One of the 'good guys'. I can say that what pi$$es my off more than anything in this world is the general public (which is most of you on this site) stereotyping all mechanics as "grease monkeys". Not so.

But, having said that, most tradespeople (mechanics, builders, plumbers, etc) are only out to make a buck and don't care who they rip in the process. Just keep you mind open tho the fact that we aren't all like that. A similar thing can be said for the general public; surely you aren't ALL brainless d!ckheads......
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6913

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

73XB well replied there.
General public who call mechanics grease monkeys are d***head. I dont know of any monkeys who can strip a carby or diagnose engine faults.
Good mechanics are worth their weight in gold and like gold can sometimes be hard to find.

 

_________________

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Last edited by Timmeh on Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Bravo Gentleman! Its good to see that rationality and common sense have joined the Topic here :D

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 10126

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

just to let you all know I've just done and oil and filter change ... seemed to go ok! :mrgreen:

 

_________________

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6913

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Happy did you use Penrite HPR 15?

 

_________________

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 10126

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

ahh no Mr Timmeh I used mobile 1

 

_________________

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Bravo Gentleman! Its good to see that rationality and common sense have joined the Topic here :D



you never tried once to bring comon sence rationality here.

so don't sit back there and pretend like you done the right thing the whole time. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:33 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Bravo Gentleman! Its good to see that rationality and common sense have joined the Topic here :D



you never tried once to bring comon sence rationality here.

so don't sit back there and pretend like you done the right thing the whole time. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:


Get out of Tickford_ 6! You are the one that has to wake-up to yourself and get your head out of the sand and start being rational with what you actually say!! This debate only started because I quoted you saying that, "i'm sure i've missed some things but i work on so many cars i do alot of this stuff with out even thinking about it." And ever since then your replys to this have been for the affirmative for NOT THINKING!
And so you have missed the point which is that, and I dont know about anyone else here but if any Mechanic is working on my car I would want him to be obviously concentrating and thinking about what he was doing regardless whether it was the 1millionth time he did it or the 1st time that he had done it, as he might f**k hurt himself or others :evil:

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Bravo Gentleman! Its good to see that rationality and common sense have joined the Topic here :D



you never tried once to bring comon sence rationality here.

so don't sit back there and pretend like you done the right thing the whole time. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:


Get out of Tickford_ 6! You are the one that has to wake-up to yourself and get your head out of the sand and start being rational with what you actually say!! This debate only started because I quoted you saying that, "i'm sure i've missed some things but i work on so many cars i do alot of this stuff with out even thinking about it." And ever since then your replys to this have been for the affirmative for NOT THINKING!
And so you have missed the point which is that, and I dont know about anyone else here but if any Mechanic is working on my car I would want him to be obviously concentrating and thinking about what he was doing regardless whether it was the 1millionth time he did it or the 1st time that he had done it, as he might f**k hurt himself or others :evil:



and you for about the tenth time (even thought it has since been explained) not taken the comment the way it was intended.

and it seems your entire argument with me is based on that comment.
maybe you should should think about what you are doing a little more, and none of this would have started int he first place

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 1826

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

Location: Bayside, Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Tickford _6, I only actually quoted what you said, so stop trying to tell me its night when its day! Because that is what you are doing here! You know you said the wrong thing and now you are trying to play semantics.
Honestly, I think you can see all this and are you just having a debate for the sake of one :?: :?: I think you should of been a Politician instead of a Mechanic :D

 

_________________

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Tickford _6, I only actually quoted what you said, so stop trying to tell me its night when its day! Because that is what you are doing here! You know you said the wrong thing and now you are trying to play semantics.
Honestly, I think you can see all this and are you just having a debate for the sake of one :?: :?: I think you should of been a Politician instead of a Mechanic :D



NO. i know what i said and i know the point i was trying to make.

if you can't see that then that is your problem. it been explained and worded differently if you choose to ignore that and keep arguing about some thing that you misunderstood go for it.

you need to stop focusing on one line from the entire post.
think for a second and look at the whole post and what that line refers too.

it's quite obvious that it refers to list of thing done in a service. and that yes there are things things missing from the list.
the reason being mechanics service hundreds of cars. the same things are checked on all cars. we know what needs to be done, we don't need to sit down and think about WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE. Although sitting at home after work you mind is not the job nor does it need to be, hence the missing items on the list. Obviously when the tasks are being carried out. full attention is paid to the task at hand.



it seems though that you will contintue to only focus on that one line and twist my words into making it sound like i dont concetrate on the job.
If that what you need to do to make your self feel good, by all means keep going. we couldn't have a sad little SLY now could we.

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Last edited by tickford_6 on Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Posts: 5

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: Not !!

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

1 SLY 97EL wrote:
Tickford _6, I think you should of been a Politician instead of a Mechanic :D


I've been told that before too. As well as a "Lawyer instead of a mechanic".

Thank god I'm not the only one!!!!
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 6 of 7  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:49 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names