Overheating AGAIN!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Overheating AGAIN!!!
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

Hey guys

As the title says my cars doing it again. Some of yas might know the trouble I had when I got my car.

Too those who dont , its irrelavent anyway but its been nothing but a pain in the a**.

When I first got the car, long story short, it had problems starting. Got that sorted and then it decided it had gearbox issues. Got that sorted. Then it decided it had an overheating issue - sorted that with new thermostat.

Now I got the car on the road and had no issues with it untill I discovered that the head gaskets had a little crack in them. So I put some head treatment in to seal it up. It worked - no more water out the exhaust. BUT . . . Now the radiator is building up heaps of pressure and the coolants getting really hot to the point where its all blowing out of the overflow. There seems to be no water flowing through the heater core coz its so f**k cold that its like its on 16c flat out.

Now if I stop the car for 20mins it cools down and the temp gauge goes up and down fairly quickly and overheats again.

Should I flush the system? Maybe a block? Or is the overflow cap buggered? Or maybe an electrical fault?

Any help is greatly appreciated . . .

Its got me completly f**k . . .

Cheers
Grant

Post subject: Re: Overheating AGAIN!!!
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

dern dern deeeerrrnnn!

head treatment/stop leak strikes back
probably head leaking worse now internally or blocked up the radiator

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:20 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Yeah your probably right - I also forgot to mention that its lost a fair amount of power too . . . So should I be pulling the heads off and doing the gaskets properly? Does the stop leak generally cause more problems than its worth does it? I only wanted a quick fix untill I had the cash for gaskets . . .

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i believe and have seen head sealer crap doin more harm than good. but people on here reckon it's okay to use.

well seeings as it's a 5L maybe only 1 head gasket is blown

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:31 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

That's what im hoping . . . Another thought too - the mont was doing this before the head treatment - I thought the head treatment would fix it - it fixed the water coming out the exhaust but hasn't stopped the over heating???

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

probably made it worse. the saying goes fix it right the first time or you'll have to fix it again

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:02 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8 + AUIII XR6

NSW, Australia

Do a compression test and see where the gasket is split, but better off doing them both at the same time. That s**t you put in obviously blocked your radiator. Drop it down your local radiator shop for a clean and pressure test.

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Do both thermo fans work? I had an overheating problem for ages and ages and then finally realised one of the relays were broken. Pulled it apart, cleaned a contact and I don't overheat any more. :x

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:17 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey guys cheers for the replies

TIAMO: yeah I thought about that but the overheating issue was there before I put the head treatment in . . . Might still give it a flush anyway though

One Drone: yeah my thermos are working fine - I find if I put the heater on it keeps the car a little cooler for a little longer coz when the heaters running it has the thermos on non-stop but it still over heats

I was thinking maybe where the blow in the gasket might be - could it be possible for it to be getting exhaust fumes into the cooling system and there for putting heaps of pressure into the system and making all the coolant/water come out of the overflow if the blowout in the gasket is in the right spot?

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

how did you determine the head gaskets "had a little crack in them"?
get a new radiator and flush the system.
check to see if your heater tap is blocked/f**k and also check to see if any hoses are blocked.

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:41 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8 + AUIII XR6

NSW, Australia

i6_demon wrote:
Hey guys cheers for the replies

TIAMO: yeah I thought about that but the overheating issue was there before I put the head treatment in . . . Might still give it a flush anyway though

One Drone: yeah my thermos are working fine - I find if I put the heater on it keeps the car a little cooler for a little longer coz when the heaters running it has the thermos on non-stop but it still over heats

I was thinking maybe where the blow in the gasket might be - could it be possible for it to be getting exhaust fumes into the cooling system and there for putting heaps of pressure into the system and making all the coolant/water come out of the overflow if the blowout in the gasket is in the right spot?

If the radiator's blocked it will cause a pressure buildup and push water out the overflow etc... Literally just had this problem last week with a mates car. Start with the cheap things first and get to a radiator shop for testing asap. Then if need be check the heads.

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:48 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks for all the replies guys

I think after all the problems I've had with it im just gunna sell it - im sick of it

Thanks all again for the input guys much appreciated

Cheers
Grant

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]