Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Pinging at 3k-4k
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

Yeah yeah, I'm a noobie and all that, so have your laff and then please hel me out :)

Bought my EF XR8 manual back in oct 07, and a few things have been bugging me.
1. At 3,000 - 4,000 rpms, the engine starts pinging like crazy and the folks behind me get a fair cloud of black smoke.
2. Give it a good goose, or pulling up to stop, or clutch in after reversing, etc, the car tends to stall. Often does the 500-1500rpm reving all by itself too. I've cleaned out the ISC. The donut on the air intake seems ok, although it has popped out once before.

Been told a common thing is the Coolant Temp Sensor - I've got a replacement but buggered if I know where it is!! Could someone please tell me where it is so I can replace it? Also, could someone please give me a few pointers on the above probs?

Thanks heaps (pics of my car are in the gallery).

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:58 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

Any inlet leaks will do the ping dance for you and how many K's up because oxygen sensors will do the black smoke. Sensors are $55 on ebay and check all the manifold bolts and as well the ones holding the plenum down. As well as the ones at front and rear there are a couple in the middle under where the cover screws on. These bolts are not uncommon to be loose over time. When your sure all is tight find a suitablble diameter thing to block off the pigtail and p*ss it off it only causes dramas once it starts to pop out and if you tighten it too much it will crush and suck air in. Also check all hoses for vacuum leaks.
This would all be a good start.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]