Fordmods Logo

Pinging? Windsor 302 

 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

 
 Post subject: Re: Pinging? Windsor 302
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:25 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 45

Posts: 158

Joined: 30th Jan 2012

Ride: DL LTD

Location: Kallangur
QLD, Australia

Sipheren wrote:
Landau510 wrote:
I would give your MAF a clean first....10 bucks for a can of MAF cleaner and 10 minutes works sorted the pinging in my DL...it was doing the same as what yours is doing.


MAF cleaner? Is that the same as Carby cleaner?


Nah I think they are a little different because the MAF cleaner is safe on plastics.....in saying that I think I have seen carby clean that says its ok on plastics. It only takes a couple of minutes and if you MAF is anything like mine was you will see the crap melt off.

 

_________________

Lets just pretend I give a s**t and leave it at that.....

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Pinging? Windsor 302
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 699

Joined: 1st Jan 2006

Ride: Lots, all Fords

Location: Hamilton
New Zealand

blueblood wrote:
xafalcon wrote:
eg With an AU MAF housing & sensor I have measured as rich as 10:1 under moderate (not even WOT) acceleration above 3500RPM.


I havnt seen the AU sensor and loom but was, for some reason, under the imression they had different wiring or something? So I just use my EB sensor in the AU housing. When I eventually get a J3 tune should I use the EB sensor or an AU one?


Yes, AU has a different plug.

As I said above, an AU MAF (or parts thereof) on an unmodified E-series ecu is generally a poor combination that can run both lean & rich at different areas in the airflow measurement range. I know this from taking measurements under load (where ecu is in open loop) with wideband O2 & MAF voltage, so it is backed up by fact rather than hearsay. Using a chip to change the MAF transfer function will fix it, but you will need either a propper dyno tune or wideband O2 & lots of time.

 

_________________

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Last edited by xafalcon on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Pinging? Windsor 302
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:01 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 250

Joined: 12th Jun 2005

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: BA XR6T, 93 EB XR8, ZJ 351

Location: Nelson Bay
NSW, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
blueblood wrote:
xafalcon wrote:
eg With an AU MAF housing & sensor I have measured as rich as 10:1 under moderate (not even WOT) acceleration above 3500RPM.


so it is backed up by fact rather than hearsay.


Not doubting you at all mate, just curious, when I do get it tuned (J3+dyno) will the tuner want the AU sensor in the AU housing or how it is now with the EB sensor in the AU housing? Only asking so if I need to, I can find the AU sensor.

 

_________________

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,
EBGT RIMS, AU MAF, AU T/B, BOXED POD, CAI,
ELGT EXTRACTORS & SPRINT EXHAUST

BAXR6T Lowered, Kompact BOV thats all....so far
ZJ 351 Fairlane, a work in "slow" progress

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Pinging? Windsor 302
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 366

Joined: 21st Nov 2004

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairmont 5.4L

Location: Gold Coast
QLD, Australia

Landau510 wrote:
Sipheren wrote:
Landau510 wrote:
I would give your MAF a clean first....10 bucks for a can of MAF cleaner and 10 minutes works sorted the pinging in my DL...it was doing the same as what yours is doing.


MAF cleaner? Is that the same as Carby cleaner?


Nah I think they are a little different because the MAF cleaner is safe on plastics.....in saying that I think I have seen carby clean that says its ok on plastics. It only takes a couple of minutes and if you MAF is anything like mine was you will see the crap melt off.


Just got some MAF cleaner ($25 compared to $10 for Carby cleaner :( )

Will see what results I get when it drys, the MAF sensors were perfectly clean though...

 

_________________

Image
http://www.xcalibrestudios.com

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Pinging? Windsor 302
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 699

Joined: 1st Jan 2006

Ride: Lots, all Fords

Location: Hamilton
New Zealand

blueblood wrote:
xafalcon wrote:
blueblood wrote:
xafalcon wrote:
eg With an AU MAF housing & sensor I have measured as rich as 10:1 under moderate (not even WOT) acceleration above 3500RPM.


so it is backed up by fact rather than hearsay.


Not doubting you at all mate, just curious, when I do get it tuned (J3+dyno) will the tuner want the AU sensor in the AU housing or how it is now with the EB sensor in the AU housing? Only asking so if I need to, I can find the AU sensor.


Something happened with the underlining, I didn't intend it to be all underlined...... just the "parts thereof"

When they tune it they will use your MAF (whatever it is) & force it into open loop and correct your tailpipe AFR by tweaking the MAF transfer, then they will optimise your timing. Depending on modifications, other parameters may also need adjustment to improve drivability.

 

_________________

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Pinging? Windsor 302
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:29 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 250

Joined: 12th Jun 2005

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: BA XR6T, 93 EB XR8, ZJ 351

Location: Nelson Bay
NSW, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
blueblood wrote:
xafalcon wrote:
blueblood wrote:
xafalcon wrote:
eg With an AU MAF housing & sensor I have measured as rich as 10:1 under moderate (not even WOT) acceleration above 3500RPM.


so it is backed up by fact rather than hearsay.


Not doubting you at all mate, just curious, when I do get it tuned (J3+dyno) will the tuner want the AU sensor in the AU housing or how it is now with the EB sensor in the AU housing? Only asking so if I need to, I can find the AU sensor.


Something happened with the underlining, I didn't intend it to be all underlined...... just the "parts thereof"

When they tune it they will use your MAF (whatever it is) & force it into open loop and correct your tailpipe AFR by tweaking the MAF transfer, then they will optimise your timing. Depending on modifications, other parameters may also need adjustment to improve drivability.


Ah ok, no worries. Thanks for the info, I hoped it would be something like that.

P.S Sorry for hijacking this thread :)

 

_________________

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,
EBGT RIMS, AU MAF, AU T/B, BOXED POD, CAI,
ELGT EXTRACTORS & SPRINT EXHAUST

BAXR6T Lowered, Kompact BOV thats all....so far
ZJ 351 Fairlane, a work in "slow" progress

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Pinging? Windsor 302
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 366

Joined: 21st Nov 2004

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairmont 5.4L

Location: Gold Coast
QLD, Australia

Just cleaned the MAF and did an oil change, took it for a spin and seems fine.

Cheers for the help. :D

 

_________________

Image
http://www.xcalibrestudios.com

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:29 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names