Fordmods Logo

power with bolt-ons, stock cam? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: power with bolt-ons, stock cam?
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

hey guys just wondering if anyone has all the typical Bolt-ons for the 5.0
like exploror, cobra, BBK, edelbrock ect intake. 65-75mm TB, bigger MAF, extractors and exhaust system

but is still running the stock cam. what sort of power and torque did you get??

Post subject: Re: power with bolt-ons, stock cam?
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
hey guys just wondering if anyone has all the typical Bolt-ons for the 5.0
like exploror, cobra, BBK, edelbrock ect intake. 65-75mm TB, bigger MAF, extractors and exhaust system

but is still running the stock cam. what sort of power and torque did you get??

I've done the "typical" bolt ons, as per my signature, and the stock cam is still in place, haven't dyno'd it, cos 1. can't be bothered, and 2. can't afford it, and 3. I can't see the reason to. But seat of the pants (where it counts) is definately noticable, I've got more "grunt" down low and in the usable power range when cruising, you know, the punch it to overtake range, I don't have to pull to higher revs or get high speeds to get impressed 8-)

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

did you ever have all of that with out the GT40Ps??

i'm just trying to put together a good package for a customer and dont want to sell him something he's not going to feel. you know can't feel it, waste of money train of thought pops into his head. even though it opens the way for bigger gains with a cam

(i've had that happen befor,EL 6cyl head and cam, LSD 3.45 gears, customer changes his mind on the gears and the car is lazzy off the line, now he's telling people i ripped him off, if only he got the gears aswell it would be a different story he payed $2300 for the R&R of the head the porting and the suply and fitment of the cam, along with a an ELGT sborkle and K&N filter, new spark plugs)

i was thinking along the lines of

cobra intake

70mm tb

73mm c&l maf

pacies

he wants a 3 inch single system, i'm prepared to fit that but would rather something a little smaller

posible strech to some 1.7 roller rockers

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

I'm not a right foot pedal masher by any stretch and would have been happy acheiving what these mods were for, which is better fuel economy with my driving style, I acheived this by increasing airflow with the bonus was a bit more grunt, plus I wanted to tinker with the car a bit.

I've had the pacemakers on for about 4yrs, but yes I noticed a difference straight away after putting them on, seemed to pull a bit harder and run a bit smoother, previously was just the stockers into a 2.5" system.

I've had the U/D pulleys (appeared to allow it rev up a bit quicker), Snorkel, TB & MAF (these seemed to make the car smoother and accelerate better), on for about 12mths, and they went on in stages over a few weeks, but I did notice subtle difference with each mod as mentioned, not mind blowing stuff.

The Cobra manifold (with 3/8" phenolic spacer) and GT40Ps went on together, and that was the greatest increase, but you would notice a difference with just the manifold, which was my plan until I picked up the heads cheap, my goal with the manifold was to bring the torque down the rev range a bit, back to where I would use it in the cruising rev range, not revving the nads off it, which has worked.

The steel intake mod is the latest update, and I dunno, but I reckon it just stiffened up the rev pickup when I step on the pedal to get off the mark a bit quick or get around a car, if that makes sense.

My next update is the stealth roller rockers, I'm pretty sure I'll get something out of them beside reduced friction and better economy as well :P

I had a mate who bought the same car at the same time I did, and he put on pacies and a 3" cat back system straight way, the thing droned like nothing I've heard down the freeway, he replaced it with a 2.5", and the only thing he noticed was the drone was gone.

You should ask what he wants to do exactly, sounds like he want lots of grunt for not much effort or cash, which is a pipe dream.

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mm question for u?

why all the hassle with a "stock cam"

by the sounds of the effort/time/moeny involved would it not be better to change the cam first to say a mild street cam and then go from there? ie do the exhaust and not the tb or some s**t
that way any other bolts on's will benift much more?

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Tickford - any chance of going for new heads? If leaving the E7TEs on, prob not worth doing the cam considering the poor flow of those heads...

BTW that's one hell of a bucket bong.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Tickford - any chance of going for new heads? If leaving the E7TEs on, prob not worth doing the cam considering the poor flow of those heads...

BTW that's one hell of a bucket bong.

this pretty much answers franks question.

my problem is he doesn't have the cash to do it all at once. and no mater what i do first it's going to be held back by what i dont do.

do the exhaust and headers, cange the cam. the stock MAF, TB and intake manifold and heads will hold it back.

do the exhaust and headers, MAF TB and manifold. the heads and cam will hold it back.

see what i'm getting at. this is the only thing i dont like about my job. trying to work out the best way to go about it, there is always a compromise and money is always a factor

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

NSW, Australia

IMO Cam and Exhaust, these alone will make a noticeable change. Its taken me a while to get that coin together to make other changes such as MAF etc but the above did make a real difference to my own.

The sound of a decent exhaust makes anyone happy and his mates will notice it straight up, so all happy?

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

intake manifold does alrite, even if u keep the heads.. but i reckon slap some roller rockers on there aswell while ur at it..

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[quote="4.9
BTW that's one hell of a bucket bong.[/quote]

yeah. that's not me though.

it's a neverfail water bottle in a 60L oil drum the cone piece was a dash12 speedflow fitting.

took 4 huge breaths to empty it.
lol

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Biggest restrictions are the intake manifold, exhaust system and then probably the heads and MAF. The stock cam is ok, plenty of the US guys are making some serious power even with the stock cam, a set of 1.72 rockers will help though. Wouldn't bother with the throttle body, they actually flow a decent amount plus with bigger TBs you tend to loose throttle response. So I would do the exhaust, intake manifold and 1.72 rockers, then if you have a bit left over the MAF.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Having gone a similar route to xnipa-z, i can say that intake, exhaust will make a huge difference to stock. I did these to mine, and as well as TB MAF and Injectors and went from 109rwkw to 148rwkw. This is with stock cam and heads. If he wants any further gains, i would then reccomend a set of 3.7 diff gears to get it moving out of the hole. I currently have 3.9, and they are a bit annoying on the highway.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Having gone a similar route to xnipa-z, i can say that intake, exhaust will make a huge difference to stock. I did these to mine, and as well as TB MAF and Injectors and went from 109rwkw to 148rwkw. This is with stock cam and heads. If he wants any further gains, i would then reccomend a set of 3.7 diff gears to get it moving out of the hole. I currently have 3.9, and they are a bit annoying on the highway.
Brett

thank dude. that was the info i was after. was that an exploror or cobra manifold?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]