Fordmods Logo

problem - lifters 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: problem - lifters
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

took my car into comp engines, it was ticking its a** off and surging whilst driving. they took it apart today and..... needs new crane lifters as the factory ones are shot.
i got the heads brand new, but when they were taken off, some of the intake valves were a bit loose? i can't work out why?
so i need the heads recoe'd, acid dipped, bronze guides fitted to the intakes and compression done again, getting fel pro gaskets, and new crane lifters. Also, Mick Webb didn't put the double valve springs in as he said he would and left the heavy duty singles in there!
but since i think u need the head to be machined to get doubles, i think they're putting some shims in so the cam can get close to its intended .540 lift as apposed to .500 as it was getting.
real p****d off!

should i add anything else while the top end it off? maybe 2030 cam?

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 17 images

QLD, Australia

You'd be silly not to stick a cam in it now. What heads and intake do you have? You might think about porting your lower while it's off as well.

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i got the gt40p heads on it. and 2020 cam. u need double row springs for bigger cams like 2030 dont u? that means head machining. and ive got the edelbrock intake, performer.
its already costing me around 1800 for reco heads, new crane lifters, gaskets etc all fitted plus a spin on the dyno.
i would like to port the heads maybe and 2030 cam plus the double row springs but thats more money. wat would that cost?

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I can't believe Mick didn't put in double valve springs with the cam, does he know whats happened?

You will definately need double valve springs, lock and retainers for the 2030 cam. To do the cam with the springs i reckon it will cost you around the $600 - $700 mark, porting can be expensive if they spend a lot of time on them. From what i've heard to get them flowing as good as some alloys will cost around the $1000 mark

What rockers have you got in there?

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ive got crane 1.6 roller rockers. i think im just getting the springs put back in with shims to get the appropriate lift .540 i think for the 2020.
dont wana spend more than i have to getting doubles and maching head plus the 2030 cam, so i'll just stick with my combo.
if the lifters didnt f**k up and the heads didnt need reconditioning, i wouldve got the 2030/springs/heads pp'd.
got quoted another 1200 on top of what im getting fixed to get that above combo.

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Souns like spring tension too high!!!! Or spring coil bind ?????
I wouldn't go too much over 350Lb over the nose...
Those lifters didn't go bad on there own!!!!!!
Check and double check rocker geometry!!!!
One reason why guides wear....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I would have thought you'd put in doubles as a safety measure for piece of mind, especially with a higher lift cam

Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

but they cost a bit dont they? and more to get heads machined. id like to get em, but money i aint got atm so i'll have to make do!

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah you do have to get heads machined. For locks, retainers, new valve stem seals, double valve spring fitment and head clean, it cost me $500, and I supplied the springs.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

I got a quote of $80 from a local cylinder head repair place to machine the heads for doubles, so the machining itself is not that pricey if you can remove and dissassemble the heads yourself.

Isky doubles are about $200, plus 90 for retainers and another 70 for locks. They are not that much more expensive than the singles that are out there.

Gunit....not sure what you mean when you talk about adding shims to get the full lift from the cam? That doesn't make any sense.

Are the factory lifters really "shot" or do they just need to be dissassembled and cleaned?

And where did you buy your "brand new" heads from? I'd be taking them back to the place i bought them if they had excessive valve stem clearance... Unless they where initially assembled with really poor valvetrain geometry?

Just sounds a little dodgy to me. Are you sure the guys doing this work for you have your best interests in mind?

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i got the heads from the trading post so thats out. the lifters were shot, he showed me everything that was gona get done when he took the heads off. don't wana spend more money than i have to being an apprentice an all. he said something about the springs not having enough seat pressure for the cam or something? it sorta went straight over me head at the time.... was thinking about the cost!
the mechanic said it was probably poor valvetrain geometry by whoever did my topend - svo.

its up in the air what i do next to the motor so im just gona get it fixed and stick with this combo for a while. saving for a house or shares!

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:32 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Au2 xr8 ute

QLD, Australia

I have Isky 6005 Double springs 135lb seat pressure and will take up to 550 lift.

I did
Springs @200
Retainers @100
$600 To completely overhaul the GT40P's and machine to suit the Isky doubles.

But should of done lifters at the same time instead of just cleaning them as I have the odd one playing up at the moment.

While its open if your thinking of the cam swap do it your right there.

Posted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 17 images

QLD, Australia

Crow singles with a dampner would be another spring to consider... they've always served me well. I think the part number for the Windsor is 7738.

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

gunit18 wrote:
i got the heads from the trading post so thats out. the lifters were shot, he showed me everything that was gona get done when he took the heads off. don't wana spend more money than i have to being an apprentice an all. he said something about the springs not having enough seat pressure for the cam or something? it sorta went straight over me head at the time.... was thinking about the cost!
the mechanic said it was probably poor valvetrain geometry by whoever did my topend - svo.

its up in the air what i do next to the motor so im just gona get it fixed and stick with this combo for a while. saving for a house or shares!
what he is saying is,when the springs are compressed-and released the springs are too short in length for valve seat pressure and probably float to easy,he has to match each spring in length and pressure,when you valve bounce,it starts at the weakest spring,also depends on spring seat maching to valve stem height.if you use 2 springs you can over pressure lifting gear and create massive wear and break gear.when he sets springs will be ok,how many revs do you get? more than 6000rpm after7000-10000 id use 2 springs or you can use a damper spring,the valve guides could have been shot when you bought the heads,assembled if you have to just match port all the manifolds.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]