Fordmods Logo

Questions about a 351W roller block conversion to AU XR8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Questions about a 351W roller block conversion to AU XR8
Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hi everyone,

I own an AU XR8 220kw T5 Manual. The car is tuned with an exhaust etc and I am very happy with it.

The car is a weekended and long term project, I am giving some thought to what I would like to do with the car long term. I have of course looked at superchargers, head/cam packages etc.

I dont want a drag or dyno queen, I really want a strong torqey street car that is reliable. Let's be honest torque is what makes a car fun and enjoyable on the street.

After reading a few threads, I am interested in considering a late model 351 Windsor roller block conversion.

I was wondering if the experts and those who have completed the conversion could discuss the conversion here and run me through the challenges as well as answer a few questions.

I am after big torque rather than top end HP so I was considering using my 220kw ported GT40Ps with my 1.7 yella terra roller rockers. Will these bolt straight up? I knwo I have to have the head bolt holes drilled out to 1/2".

What is the cam like in the 351W roller blocks? Similar to the one in my 220?

I was going to use my explorer manifold for torque, where will this run out of puff on a 351? 4500? 5000?

To use the explorer top hald, I need the 5.8 lower is that correct? Will this all bolt up to GT40Ps and the explorer top? I have heard these are hard to source, is there aftermarket alternatives?

If I use my GT40Ps and YT 1.7 RR will I have pushrod issues with a roller block?

Now I know they need a 28oz balaner, how do I go adapting the trigger to it? Is there an aftermarket solution?

Likewise, can I use my cam sync sensor (I have heard they are not long enough?) or must I go to a EB-EL style dizzy?

Will my T5 bolt up? I would like to use this initially but will consider an auto in the longer run if I go chasing bigger power. Can I bolt up a C4 to a 351W in the AU body??

Will my hurricane extractors bolt up, how far will they be out from the factory cat position?

Anything else I need to know?

I know there is a lot of questions, so thank you all for any input you can put in.

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Questions about a 351W roller block conversion to AU XR8
Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

This is a swap into e series but plenty of good info to read through anyway.
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/how-to-fit-a-351efi-windsor-into-an-e-series-t121291.html

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Does a 351 comply with your displacement rules? Factor in a rebore = 358cuin

GT40P heads limit NA engine to about 390FWHP

5.8 F4TE's were fitted to trucks & vans, the 5.0 220kW engines were fitted to the "sport" version of a car. The cams are very different because the application is totally different. The 5.8 cam is short duration for low RPM duty

The explorer intake restriction is primarily in the lower section. You need a 5.8 lightning lower. I'm unsure how they compare flow-wise to explorer lower, but they aren't easy to find. Otherwise budget on a new intake

You will replace your pushrods

You can balance the 5.8 rotating assembly using an AU V8 balancer. Tell them to lathe the XS metal off rather than drill it. I did one about 2 months ago for 28oz 347 motor for one of my AU XR8's

Modify the CPS shaft in a lathe by joining 351W lower section to 5.0 upper section. Make the joint above the cam gear. Use a lap joint, not a butt joint. Use the right cam gear

All small block Fords from 1965 onwards had the same bellhousing bolt pattern

Your headers will be raised by 1" and moved outwards by 1". This may cause fitment/heat problems

Going to a 5.8 block but using 5.0 parts minimises the benefit of using a 5.8 block, but incurs all the costs.

The only reason I would use a 5.8 block is to gain more cubes above the 351 they came with from the factory ie. 393/408/416. But with your GT40P heads these options are self defeating

If I was maximising the potential of GT40P heads & explorer intake I would use the 5.0 block with a basic 347 kit and a re-ground cam. Price is only about $1500 above an engine recondition, and you get a balanced rotating assembly and better quality parts than the engine was originally fitted with

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Some very good points and information. It looks like while it sounds like a great idea, it may be a little impracticable for my application. I may have a look down the 347 route instead and do some research into that. Thanks very much.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]