Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Rattling Noise Under the EB XR8
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

Hi all,

Been noticing a rattling sound coming from under the EB in the vicinity of the bellhousing(it is a BTR Auto). Sometimes it is there, other times it is completely gone, sometimes it is horrendous, other times it is barely noticeable. I have noticed tonight though the exhaust note has changed and is a deeper note than usual. I tapped the Cats and they don't sound as if they have rattled apart but the sound seems to resemble a stone or something being thrown about in the bell housing. I don't think it is a big end bearing and the tappets are all intact. Can anyone with similar experiences shed some light. I did notice the lower plate adjacent to the starter motor(on the bottom third of the front of the bellhousing) is loose so would have this allowed a stone or something inside the housing and is thrashing about in there?

Your learned advice is welcomed.

Hooroo

Post subject: Re: Rattling Noise Under the EB XR8
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
Hi all,

Been noticing a rattling sound coming from under the EB in the vicinity of the bellhousing(it is a BTR Auto). Sometimes it is there, other times it is completely gone, sometimes it is horrendous, other times it is barely noticeable. I have noticed tonight though the exhaust note has changed and is a deeper note than usual. I tapped the Cats and they don't sound as if they have rattled apart but the sound seems to resemble a stone or something being thrown about in the bell housing. I don't think it is a big end bearing and the tappets are all intact. Can anyone with similar experiences shed some light. I did notice the lower plate adjacent to the starter motor(on the bottom third of the front of the bellhousing) is loose so would have this allowed a stone or something inside the housing and is thrashing about in there?

Hooroo
check the flex plate to torque converter bolts,they may be loose.they should have a drop of loctite to stop them coming loose,tighten all the box bell housing bolts,see how it goes.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:03 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:
Hi all,

Hooroo
check the flex plate to torque converter bolts,they may be loose.they should have a drop of loctite to stop them coming loose,tighten all the box bell housing bolts,see how it goes.

Thanks for the quick reply Hans - I can't book it into the mechanic until next week so will have to nurse the poor darlin' until I get her in. It isn't the bottom end as it is a rattly marble in a tin sound so my hunch is something has come loose inside the housing and is having a fat time in there - will advise when I find anything out.

Cheers.

Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:45 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

hans hartman wrote:
CPOCSM wrote:
Hi all,

Hooroo

Thanks for the quick reply Hans - I can't book it into the mechanic until next week so will have to nurse the poor darlin' until I get her in. It isn't the bottom end as it is a rattly marble in a tin sound so my hunch is something has come loose inside the housing and is having a fat time in there - will advise when I find anything out.

Cheers.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

you cant do it your self? its easy to do

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:20 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Do tell? Is it as easy as putting the car up on ramps and removing this plate? Is this the access to the torque converter in the XR8? Would be interested in hearing from you Hans

Rob

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Had similar issues when installing the TKO ...
Yes the cover can be too close to flex plate ..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
Do tell? Is it as easy as putting the car up on ramps and removing this plate? Is this the access to the torque converter in the XR8? Would be interested in hearing from you Hans

Rob

put it on ramps,i pack the rails under the front doors,remove the box brace,the cover and you can see the coverter bolts,tighten 1 and pull the motor round with the ring spanner on the bolt to the next one.look for metal rubbing spots,if ok close it up.bell housing bolts from each side and 2 from the top.from memory-rusty,pull a battery lead off,as the starter may have to come off,to remove the cover plate

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:19 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Thanks Hans. I have a set of ramps and I am also putting stands under it. I will not be looking forward to the starter if I have to remove it. I did the last one with the aid of a garage pit I had in Canberra and was a lot easier to access. I am looking forward to doing the chack as I have never touched the procedure for doing ANYTHING with a gearbox!!

Should be an interesting crawl under the car!

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Starter motor is EASY on the v8's...
Just have good set of sockets, extensions..
The extensions are more relevant to 6's...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
Thanks Hans. I have a set of ramps and I am also putting stands under it. I will not be looking forward to the starter if I have to remove it. I did the last one with the aid of a garage pit I had in Canberra and was a lot easier to access. I am looking forward to doing the chack as I have never touched the procedure for doing ANYTHING with a gearbox!!

Should be an interesting crawl under the car!

i do mine on the grass,bit softer on the back,leave the bonnet open for more light.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:24 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Well got to the torque converter and found nothing untoward at all. The four bolts were; however, undid very easily and with minimal resistance. I loctited all four and reinstalled and wanged them up. I did find some debris in the bell housing but nothing odd any of the bolts on the converter. The debris was shavings and lots of dust.

The flex and the converter were very clean considering so the noise remains a mystery. It is still there intermittently so I will be removing the cats to see if they are the culprit - I tapped them and they sounded ok but will remove them to see if the cores are intact. Failing this, could it be a big end knock or am I thinking worst case scenario? The knock is not the deep rumbling typical of a big end failing and is more like something getting thrown about but with a regular tempo. Will get a recording and put it up shortly for an online diagnosis.

Hooroo

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1976 td cortina

WA, Australia

I had the same problem in my ef fairmont ended up being the left hand cat for a quick fix bash it with hammer to crush the cat should shut it up until u get it fixed

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1994 5.0 fairlane

SA, Australia

i have a 94 fairlane 5.0 and it sound like i have the same problem i also think it may be the big end bearings but as with yours the sound goes away when you drive it but on the other hand when i rev mine to 2500rpm it comes back????? i have checked the torque converter and flex plate bolt and they are tight. any other info on this problem would be very appretiated.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I too have a funny noise coming from the bell housing area. Only when I start it thought. Sort of a highish pitch squeeling for a couple of seconds.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]