Fordmods Logo

rear main seal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: rear main seal
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 92 nc fairlane v8

New Zealand

i have a 1992 nc ford fairlane 302 windsor v8 all standard. can anyone tell me if i take the gearbox off would i be able to change it or does the engine have to come out? a mechanic i went tp thinks the engine has to come out any other tips would be good ??

and also when you take of the timing cover the sump gasket is partly joint to the front of timing cover when i took of the timing cover it broke so would i have to replace the whole sump gasket or could i seal it up ??

Post subject: Re: rear main seal
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Rear main seal can be easily replaced with engine in car. Use sealer on the sump gasket and it won't leak much, if at all unless, your crankcase evacuation isn't working effectively. Just make sure to remove all traces of oil before trying to use sealer.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I had a 93 nc 5.0 that had a rear main leak as well. I tightened the sump bolts, didnt stop, checked the rocker covers, all fine so I asked around and the auto comes out and its an easy access to the rear main. Try checking all of the above before doing the rear main. Its actually cheaper to replace the rear main through a mechanic than it is to do a sump gasket, so hope its the rear main mate. I got quoted around $300 for the rear main and about $1000 for the sump gasket. If you can remove the auto yourself or with some mates the seal itself is dirt cheap. Hope that helps
Rob

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 92 nc fairlane v8

New Zealand

cheers guys thats good help that answers what i need to know

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

yea ezy done yorself mate. just pull the box off. take the flywheeel outta the way and it will be staring at you.
whack a new one in and put it all back together then have a couple beers to celebrate. :D :D 8-)

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

With the transmission removed the engine can be lifted plenty far enough so the oil pan gasket could be easily replaced. Just need to undo the engine mount bolts and radiator hoses then use an engine crane, bonnet doesn't even need to be replaced. The fel-pro one piece blue silicone sump gaskets even have 4 plastic fittings that are designed for holding the gasket in place against gravity so it's a one person job.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]