Fordmods Logo

Rebuild or crate engine. 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:34 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

NSW, Australia

[quote="Swine"]I'm going with the crate motor, its just a better starting point for future plans. As for buying a crate motor with only 350Hp, thats more than i need for a 60km a day daily driver.[/quote]

No help when something goes wrong/ aftersales service or finetuning!
How can you guarantee 350hp, to many variables such as vehicle, driveline, tuning etc!
Whats this block worth?
Whats the heads worth?
Whats internals worth?
Whats fitting, labour and tuning worth?

If not already do your maths against a reputable builder who will see it from start to finish let alone any of those lil probs that you WILL have.

You say you only want to drive 60k and 350hp all you want than you can afford to maybe settle for stock block or 2nd hand heads etc. I dont see or hear of too many blocks failing

IMO unless you know what your doing it would cost you more in the long run. build it local and build a nice engine with 10k.

my 2 c

Good luck with it & enjoy either way.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Funny thing with crate motors is that the lower hp units are more expensive than a rebuild of your own motor to get the same power. They are overkill imo. The only good thing is you have a half decent block but if you don't plan to do anything else with it then its a waste. Once you start getting into the 4/500hp+ bracket then crate motors start to come into their own.

And as for if things go wrong, that's why they have either 12 or 24 months warranty. They are basically turn key burnout motors with warranty. That's why they appeal to so many. If you grenade it in the warranty period they will almost always replace it unless you've touched it inside or done something stupid like a 5th to 1st compression lockup at 160kms.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:22 pm 
Smokin em up

ea_falcon wrote:
where abouts are you getting the crate motor from.
how much do they want for these motors as im looking at maybe doing the same.

American autos in Sydney has them for $7800 but i've seen them over in Perth for $7400.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:25 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Is this the one you're after swine? This will be a nice daily driver for sure and I wouldn't worry about block strength on such a mild engine.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/pa ... Field=7368
Plus you'll be able to flog the sump,pickup,dipstick, timing cover and water pump off to someone with an F-series. You can just switch sides with the rocker covers to be able to use them.
Here's the one that I'd get and I know for a fact they dyno around 530hp mark not 475hp. They go for around 13k locally.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/pa ... Field=9278

Cheers,
Pete.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:57 pm 
Smokin em up

Yep thats the one. But if anyone as matched or bettered that Hp figure with there 5.0 litre for the price let me know or point me to the thread. As for guaranting 350Hp i know the motor has to make that due to U.S law on power figures, but I'm allowing for a 80Hp loss at the wheels so 268rwhp. My stock motors only got a 54Hp loss.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

Everything really depends on what you want it for, if you plan on going alot of HP then Crate block hands down.

Me personally, im buying a crate block capable of getting stroked to 363, i think $3000 or so from memory(bare block only), so i get a strong block, then get the pistons, i want, heads i want etc etc, but keep in mind you can have all the power in the world but if your driveline don't hold up with it then no point in having the power coz you won't be able to drive it, so make sure your got a good diff, tranny/box, tailshaft and uni's in place, you may also want to look at torque converter and tranny cooler if your is an auto.

see i need a better block as factory block unfortunately will not allow for 400-450RWKW or so, but twin turbo's and NOS has a tendency to kill off a factory block.......don't know why, lol

4 cylinders are like chinese food, few minutes after you have them you just want more!

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:14 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Swine wrote:
Yep thats the one. But if anyone as matched or bettered that Hp figure with there 5.0 litre for the price let me know or point me to the thread. As for guaranting 350Hp i know the motor has to make that due to U.S law on power figures, but I'm allowing for a 80Hp loss at the wheels so 268rwhp. My stock motors only got a 54Hp loss.

Yes I have a several cases of matching and surpassing that figure but none will have the torque of the 342. My mates' 5.0 Capri makes 305rwhp but it costs more than that crate and will still not make as good a torque figure. The point is, you want area under the curve not some big peak figure and that mild 342 should do it for you nicely.

Pete.

Post subject: motor
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I carnt see how u only have a 54hp loss. My car when it was manuel t5 made 315rwhp & now with a auto it makes 281rwhp & thats with 400 flywheel hp. So with manuel was 85 hp loss & auto is 119 hp loss.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Post subject: Re: motor
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:28 pm 
Smokin em up

MICKYYYY wrote:
I carnt see how u only have a 54hp loss. My car when it was manuel t5 made 315rwhp & now with a auto it makes 281rwhp & thats with 400 flywheel hp. So with manuel was 85 hp loss & auto is 119 hp loss.

227Hp motor 174rwhp.

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Geez whatever your running has a sweet power loss LOL :D maybe i should put a T5 back in hehehe

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Post subject: Re: motor
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 2010 g6e turbo

SA, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
Geez whatever your running has a sweet power loss LOL :D maybe i should put a T5 back in hehehe

what made you take it out?

2010 G6E TURBO

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I didnt i bought the car with a race c10 with a 5 grand converter. I did get the T5 with the car as well but sold it. From what i know the car is alot more drivable now with the auto behind it & i do prefer the auto.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

there are plenty of 347 crate motors in the U.S. that are rated at 450+hp for less than $10,000 with quality gear - some do come with carbies so you'll need to ask them for injection setups,

keith croft have sent plenty to australia before so if u like the idea of a 500-695 hp stroker for less than 15g u.s., they sound pretty good, otherwise plenty of 450hp setups for around the 8k mark.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 6_-1_11221

http://www.coasthigh.com/

http://www.coasthigh.com/Assemblies/Cra ... lassic.htm

http://www.coasthigh.com/Assemblies/Ford/ford_347.htm

http://www.coasthigh.com/Assemblies/Ford/ford_306.htm

http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/spe ... _Drop.html

http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/spe ... ropAL.html

having had one built here, they are pricey for the power, I'd go the Croft motor for that litlle bit extra - no need for blowers and turbos

If u wanna keep it local and don't do a lot yourself, pavtek are now putting together decent 347s:

430hp long motor assembled $9890 or the 500+hp for $12,300.

http://www.pavtek.com.au/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=70

just remember, if you're looking at strokers, don't worry too much about the final hp number, torque is what these things are made for, mine has converted plenty of blown v8 drivers.

There's no replacement for XR8 displacement

Drivin' E'z is the only addiction

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU2 XR8

NT, Australia

or go with this one with Z heads!

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/pa ... Field=7209

the thing with these crates is you can't customise, ie cam (FMS cams are old school), also depending on what you are putting it in, you lose your engine:chassis number authenticity.

i wish to be a ring on a maidens hand so when she wipe herself i see the promised land.

Post subject: mtoor
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thats some awsome motors there

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next