Replacing Windsor 5.0 heater pipes 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Replacing Windsor 5.0 heater pipes
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
I measured it and it looks like a 3/4" UNC tapered fitting. I'm not sure if they are readily available if you want to make up an alternative in brass or stainless.

If the heater pipes are rusted out, you can still buy a new aftermarket one on eBay in the USA. I paid $175 AU with postage about a month ago.

ok Shortshift, thank you for the help - do you by any chance still have the old one? All I want is the section that screws into the manifold plus the sensor and maybe a few inches...I want to run a rubber hose from this to bypass the metal pipes completely....if you still have it would you be interested in selling?

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

PM sent

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Some ex USA 5.0's I've had through the workshop just ran a steel Tee fitting with the ecu coolant temp sensor screwed in vertically and a hose barb pointing towards the back of the engine for rubber heater hose hook-up. This would seem the simplist to construct using off the shelf brass fittings, and it won't corrode. EGR spacer coolant supply is lost, but I use a 5.0 oil cross-over cup-plug to plug the HO upper intake EGR passage at the upper/lower mating surface so coolant supply isn't required. AU 5.0 doesn't have EGR, so even easier.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
Some ex USA 5.0's I've had through the workshop just ran a steel Tee fitting with the ecu coolant temp sensor screwed in vertically and a hose barb pointing towards the back of the engine for rubber heater hose hook-up. This would seem the simplist to construct using off the shelf brass fittings, and it won't corrode. EGR spacer coolant supply is lost, but I use a 5.0 oil cross-over cup-plug to plug the HO upper intake EGR passage at the upper/lower mating surface so coolant supply isn't required. AU 5.0 doesn't have EGR, so even easier.

cheers, when you say `EGR spacer coolant supply is lost' I don't think this is from these particular pipes? If you scroll to Shortshift's picture at the top of this post theres just the ends for the rubber hose one end and the sensor and screw in fitting the other end....this is on an EL, but I think those EGR pipes are separate?

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

All E-series V8 coolant hard-lines had a 1/4" water inlet from the EGR spacer, including the EL2 with factory explorer manifold. This inlet was deleted in AU V8 hard-lines. Apart from that, the hard-lines interchange. So if his hard-lines don't have the 1/4" inlet, they either originally came from an AU V8 or were previously "repaired" by brazing over the rusted-out 1/4" pipe

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
All E-series V8 coolant hard-lines had a 1/4" water inlet from the EGR spacer, including the EL2 with factory explorer manifold. This inlet was deleted in AU V8 hard-lines. Apart from that, the hard-lines interchange. So if his hard-lines don't have the 1/4" inlet, they either originally came from an AU V8 or were previously "repaired" by brazing over the rusted-out 1/4" pipe

oh OK...just looking at his pic whereabouts would those 1/4 fittings have been? I cant tell for sure on mine cos of the upper manifold being in the way but up to a minute ago I've assumed mine is the same as in his picture....my plans were to replace these steel pipes as mentioned above but now I'm worried this isn't going to work if I'm screwing up other connections by doing this...

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Top hard-line, 50mm from the firewall end.

Just follow the 1/4" coolant lines from your EGR spacer. One will go into passenger side rear lower intake manifold corner where it meets the head, the other one will go to the hard-line.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2