Fordmods Logo

rounded bolt heads 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:38 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

VIC, Australia

from experience working on old cars with many rounded bolts, heat is the best thing, but if you cant heat it a good quality penetrating oil and patience is required. there are a few penetrating oils that are much better than WD40 or RP7 so check that out. I have a socket set called
LOK-ON, its worth its wait in gold so check that out at a good tool shop.

Never use easy out!!!!!!!!! they should be re named to: Easy to put you in deep s**t!

Pround memeber Team DYNAMIC WHITE

"NFURI8" Fairlane ghia nf2 v8.
Pacemaker p4000
El gt snorkle, K&N filter.
JVC and INFINITY audio system.
EL GT Shadow Chrome alloys

AU3 Falcon Dedicated Gas

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Try this.......

1. Remove engine.

2. Replace with 347 stroker.
:lol:

Something like this happening to me is all it will take for me to go the rebuild. (I know you will still have to get the water pump off. But at least at the end of it all it will be worth the effort!!!!)

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yea right...The bloody bolt still has to come out !!!

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:32 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
paulhowes wrote:
Andrew J wrote:
The dremel idea probably wont work if the bolt has been rounded. Rember, if its got a rounded head, its in there tight! And limited room also. But some good ideas are surfacing

Done it before on some pretty bad bolts, anythings worth a try before you easy out. I once spent over four hours clean up after snapping the easy out. (Not fun)

Four hours? Is that all? A guy on here previously used one of the tap in style easy outs to remove a lower thermostat housing bolt on an i6, and snapped it off. He had some great fun trying to get it out. Ended up drilling it, and went of course, and had to get a helicoil in the head if i remember correctly. But even then, as it went of course, the housing didnt line up quite right, so he had to modify the edge of the inlet manifold to get it to fit. Fun fun fun! Oh, and if anyone is going to use easyouts, id recomend the screw type. They have an opposite thread on them, so they bight in deeper as you increase the pressure. and if they do snap off, theyre a lot easier ( a lot!) to get out.

That sounds like exactly what happened to me... I would never recommend easy outs again... had to get some sort of special drill bits to drill the easy outs, out, and the get it all helicoiled, and blah blah blah... a couple of hundred dollars later I have a modifed inlet manifold, with a modified thermostat housing, I don't wanna remember it lol.

As for my advice.. Don't USE EASY OUTS! lol unless you're really desperate.. so far some tops ideas on here.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2