Sluggish 5L Ghia 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Sluggish 5L Ghia
Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Hey guys,

Bog stock (except for new 2.5inch exhaust) EL Fairmont ghia.. runs smooth etc.. but is sluggish.. feels like it wants to go and cant. Infact, My NL Fairlane i6 stock seems quicker. It just revs and its like.. ho hum..hell I think my old CFI EA S Pack had more poke than this.. even the misses little Holden Cruze goes harder...

I replaced the coil, the rotor and cap and that smoothed out the idle.

I disconnected the MAF and man... the car came alive. its sloppy down low, but round 2.5k upwards it pulls damn hard through the rev range and sounds fricken awesome. Fuel consumption hasnt increased by much.. I used to 550km to 570km out of a tank.. now its down to 540 or so per tank.

So.. I know it could be the MAF but at $320.00 from Coventrys, its a punt I dont really want to take incase it could be something else.. (I read on the one of the forums that he replaced his injectors etc).

So could it be the MAF.. I cleaned it and made no difference.

Could be TPS? or O2 sensors?

I guess I am confused as it hammers with out the maf connected. But am I right in understanding that puts the ECU in failed MAF mode, meaning it just runs lean and @ 10degs of timing? I guess what I am saying is because the MAF is disconeected is it just causing the ECU to stop doing certains things which takes other components out of play that come back into play with the the MAF connected. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Sluggish 5L Ghia
Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Without the maf plugged in it will run rich to ensure it doesn't lean out,

Stock my fairmont never drove like yours sounds like you have issues as i raped automatic 6 cylinders with indecency.

I would service it and check the timing (30*) and you can bump it up to 32* max 34*.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]