Fordmods Logo

Starter Motor for Windsor 302 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Starter Motor for Windsor 302
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

My EF Ghia has this intermittent thing on start up where by sometimes it clunks and rattles , and others start fine. Ive been told its the starter motor and depending on where it stops when u turn off the car, it will make a racket when starting if it stops on the worn spot.

Does this diagnosis seem right>>? ALSO I have heard starters can be "re-coed" but is it better just to purchase a new one? And where from In melbourne....dont tell me bayford *lol*

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Post subject: Re: Starter Motor for Windsor 302
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

raff-26 wrote:
My EF Ghia has this intermittent thing on start up where by sometimes it clunks and rattles , and others start fine. Ive been told its the starter motor and depending on where it stops when u turn off the car, it will make a racket when starting if it stops on the worn spot.

Does this diagnosis seem right>>? ALSO I have heard starters can be "re-coed" but is it better just to purchase a new one? And where from In melbourne....dont tell me bayford *lol*

That sounds like your flexplate. It will need to be replaced, which means removing either the engine or trans. Replace the starter while your at it, and it will last for ages. A decent workshop should be able to do this for a reasonable price, it should only take 3 hours or so.
Good luck. :D

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

s**t and I was hoping it was only gonna be the starter!!! How u know this?? U had the same problem with a windsor??

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Its the gear on outside of flexplate...
Not part of the actual engine..
Yes you'll have to take auto out ..
I would double check starter motor first ..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:

agreed, its easier to check the starter that it is to remove the gear box

first pull the starter out and have a look at the gear on the end of it, if some of the teeth are worn/broken then replace it.

whilst the starter is out you should be able to look through the hole where the starter bolt's up and check the teeth on the ring gear (a flexible mirror might come in handy for this) get a socket and ratchet on the end of the crank and slowly turn the motor by hand and inspect the ring gear for damage/wear

Last edited by nannas_ed on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nannas_ed wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:

first pull the starter out and have a look at the gear on the end of it if some of the teeth are worn/broken then replace it

whilst the starter is out you should be able to look through the hole where the starter bolt up and check the teeh on the ring gear (a flexible mirror might come in handy for this) get a socket and ratchet on the end of the crank and slowly turn the motor by hand and inspect the ring gear for damage/wear

Fantastic mate...great advice I will check when i get home from work tonight. cheers! :wink:

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ust thought id let you guys know too.....anyone for a starter motor from bayford?????? $1,350!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! W.T.F?????????????????

I reckon i would looked like one of the victims of that little girl who comes outta the tv, in whats it called...THE RING..when the sales guy told me that!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

raff-26 wrote:
ust thought id let you guys know too.....anyone for a starter motor from bayford?????? $1,350!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! W.T.F?????????????????

I reckon i would looked like one of the victims of that little girl who comes outta the tv, in whats it called...THE RING..when the sales guy told me that!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

an after market newy will definatly be cheaper but ring an auto elect first. if its still serviceable then they should be able to rebuild it for even less than the cost of a newy

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

raff-26 wrote:
nannas_ed wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:

first pull the starter out and have a look at the gear on the end of it if some of the teeth are worn/broken then replace it

whilst the starter is out you should be able to look through the hole where the starter bolt up and check the teeh on the ring gear (a flexible mirror might come in handy for this) get a socket and ratchet on the end of the crank and slowly turn the motor by hand and inspect the ring gear for damage/wear

Fantastic mate...great advice I will check when i get home from work tonight. cheers! :wink:

no problems 8-)

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Took it to local Auto elec near work, he says as I thought the starter motor is the issue. I am takin it back tomorrow (if it starts in the morn- its near the end of its life!) he is gonna put a reco in for $260- inc labour.
which i guess is not that bad, as i can get an aftermarket cheapy for $190 in Tulla, but thats just the part...He suggests the ring gear may be a little worn too *lol* so I guess I'll find out the full extent tomorrow!!

but better then handing over nearly 2 weeks pay for just the starter motor to BAYFORD....but oh yeah "you have to remember, its Motorcraft" what drugs are ford spare parts on??? :roll:

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

had the "new" starter put in now she starts like a charm, the clutches in the old one were stuffed so was the sprocket. Ring gear was a little chipped in places, but i expected that. Sp this time the auto stays in!!!! touch wood for next time :lol:

EF Ghia 5L V8

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]