swappin my NF 5lt with a second handy & i need a little help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: swappin my NF 5lt with a second handy & i need a little help
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:16 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1996 NF ford fairlane v8

VIC, Australia

Hi guys

I own a Nf 5lt on gas that has currently got 430,000k's on the old girl. Cuttin a long story short i was given the car (ausom..... ah no) as i needed to tow a trailer.
it has now cost me $6,500 getting the roady/reg, basicly repacin the whole gas system and so on.
not all has been getting it fixed as i put a set of lows in it, tinted the windows, installed a set of pacyies and removed the rear muff, k&n pannel and a few other bits n peices.
recently i cracked it and had a heap of stuff done to the 5lt to freshen her up but in the process attracted more issues.
I have major oil presh issues and was at the end of my fuse so i bought a second hand EF XR8 motor complete that had done just under 200,000k's.

my questions are......

-what should i change while the motor is out? i will be swappin the new parts from the original 5lt over to the new motor.
-where is the cheapest place to hire a engien crane?
-is there anythin i should be aware of before startin?

thanks heaps guys any help would be great JAPCRP

Post subject: Re: swappin my NF 5lt with a second handy & i need a little help
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Mate you'd be better off buying an engine crane from Supercheap Auto (esp when on special) if the motor is from the same year model there should be no worries, just be careful with all the plugs and wiring.

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:49 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1996 NF ford fairlane v8

VIC, Australia

fairlane6970 wrote:
Mate you'd be better off buying an engine crane from Supercheap Auto (esp when on special) if the motor is from the same year model there should be no worries, just be careful with all the plugs and wiring.

yea i know i should just buy one but im a bit of a tight a$$ cos i have spent to much dosh on the car already. oh and i may only use it twice maybe?
the wirings not a prob but im not sure if i need to do anything mechanicly.

will be changing oil pump, water pump, all the hoses, rear main seal, complete intake as mines in better condition and engine mounts as mine are no good (extractors touch) even though there dam pricey.

basicly im just trying to do as much as pos while the motor is out.
thanks for the input though keep it commin!

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

japcrp wrote:
fairlane6970 wrote:

yea i know i should just buy one but im a bit of a tight a$$ cos i have spent to much dosh on the car already. oh and i may only use it twice maybe?
the wirings not a prob but im not sure if i need to do anything mechanicly.

will be changing oil pump, water pump, all the hoses, rear main seal, complete intake as mines in better condition and engine mounts as mine are no good (extractors touch) even though there dam pricey.

basicly im just trying to do as much as pos while the motor is out.
thanks for the input though keep it commin!

how far do you want to go with it?welsh plugs may be steel in block and heads.oil pump will be ok.clean the pick up screen.if the sumps off check the bearings and change the crank seals,check the timing cover for corrosion,water pump can be any time.lap the valve seats and change the valve stem seals--if the heads come off.you may find a lot of sludge in the motor.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]